1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins come clean: You desperately need top wideout

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 7, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Dolphins, come clean: You desperately need top wideout
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/1270224.html

2. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    I wish Arizona would give up Boldin at a price that Cleveland gave up Edwards.

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yikes

4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Well we can't solve all of our problems with 2 drafts. Our FO will find a solution we just have to be patient.

I do feel they did address our CB situation. I have a feeling WR is next on the list.

5. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I think the one thing that Ginn has proved is that he can get open deep. He hasn't proven much else but I've seen him show that ability. What we haven't shown is the ability to hit him deep.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    that and ilb and safety

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I could go off on such a rant here............but won't :up:

8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I so hope Ginn goes to NO, NE, GB, or IND if we ever give up on the kid so you faithless fans can see what he is capable of if used properly.

I'm sick of this personally.

Every time we went deep to him, we misfired. He was open. Manning, Brady and Brees would def. not screw that up.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    cant go deep every play i want more well-roundedness from ginn......reggie wayne gets open deep, runs slants, deep corners, posts and makes yac.....get over it....ginn is not close to any receiver on any of those teams you mentioned

texanphinatic and Big E like this.
  10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Vincent Jackson a FA? That's my target in the off season
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I'm still waiting until a full season with Henne before I give my final opinion. I still think Ginn has made tremendous improvement in his route running...
    Posted via Mobile Device

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Funny, I thought we already spent a 3rd AND 4th rounder on the position this past draft.

Whether or not it was fixed is an entirely different story, but the situation was certainly addressed.

13. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Reggie Wayne also has a QB that can put the ball in his hands anywhere on the field and make defenses respect his arm, that's something that we don't have and haven't for quite a while. It's the same reasoning that we've used for Ronnie, because the OL was poor and we didn't have a QB that could pass deep, the opposing defense could stack the box. Well the same holds true for the WR's, we didn't have a QB who could pass downfield accurately and consistently, so the defensive backs can smother the WR's and focus solely on plays infront of them. To imply that Ginn and Wayne both play in equally open offenses is wrong, one does (Wayne) and one plays in a much more restricted system in which defenses see their field reduced significantly (Ginn).

*to add to this, take any of NE's, Indy's, NO's, etc WR's and put them in our offense, their production would drop significantly.

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    That would be a sweet pickup and no I havent given up on Ginn.

15. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Cote was peeking in at that big *** Ginn thread we had goin yesterday....there was a guy on there saying the exact same thing :shifty:

Big E and padre31 like this.
  16. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Addressing our Number 1 wideout has a very low probability of being addressed with a 3rd and a 4th.

We want it to be addressed, we need a top flight FA or a second or first round pick.

If we want our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and competition/depth, you draft in the 3rd and beyond.

So in my opinion we didn't address the need for a number one wideout last draft.

Just like the year before we didn't address a starting running back position by drafting HIlliard and Parmalee because we took 2 later round RB's. We addressed RB depth. Big difference in my opinion.

And as good as i think hartline can be and well we don't know what turner can do at this point, to call either of them potential number one wideout is a far stretch. They are secondary recievers, even though hartline looks as though he could be a really good second wideout so early on in his career.

But to compare any wideout we have to any young potential number one is a big stretch, i'm sticking with the belief, were getting by right now, giving Ginn a chance to make that claim (which he hasn't yet) until next offseason, at which point it will be addressed, is my guess anyways.

jetssuck likes this.
  17. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Thread tittle needs to be changed, the Dolphins actually said the opposite of what is stated in the article.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    That was "coach-speak"

Sparano had the best seat in the house Sunday to watch Henne try to get the ball to guys that were blanketed by the Bills back up secondary.

19. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    per OMAR tweet:

20. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    What do you think this means??

21. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well if it's a new WR and Hyde couldn't tell if it was a WR or CB......it's not Boldin. Or anyone much bigger than Ginn... :no:

22. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I agree but at least we are not resting on our laurels here.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You probably missed the 10 catches in the Indy game that were anything but deep passes? He's not a one trick pony

Tone_E and like2god like this.
  24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    true, very true

25. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Agreed

Besides being fast he's awesome at fake handoffs

padre31 likes this.
  26. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :lol:

And pretty good after he gets real ones too.

27. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    But now we're worse at throwing than ever and Ronnie is tearing it up. We were terrible at everything in 2007, especially passing, and Ronnie was tearing it up. So evidently a good player can make a difference.

Also, Pennington is what he is (or was), but a lot of receivers were quite productive with him throwing the ball over the years. Not Ginn.

28. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    And End Arounds. Did you see hartline on the end around? Oy

29. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Dude, come on. 860 yards from the LOS last year.

30. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    No but I saw him with the ball in the end zone....

31. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    next year we'll get our receiver. there are a few that will be available in the draft and free agency. I'm not worried about it. Let Henne have a full year under his belt and then we'll give him a shiny new receiver for christmas (or easter)

The Aqua Crush and jetssuck like this.
  32. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Do you promise, Santa?

SICK likes this.
  33. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/

34. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    First, I disagree that we're worse now in the passing game, we don't know what Henne is capable of.

Ronnie is an elite player, noone is saying that Ginn is an elite player and they aren't easy to come by. Second, we forced the ball on the ground in '07, Ronnie was finally getting 20+ carries per game, of course his numbers were going to go up. When he got more chances, he looked better and the same can hold true for Ginn, which brings us to...

Of course some of them were, especially early in his career before all of the nagging injuries that limited his production. The Jets' offense was more open, they didn't have the same type of commitment to the running game (2 RB system) that we do, and in the years that his WR's had over 1,000 yards, they also had more catches and saw a dip in rushing totals, which takes me back to opportunities. How many times did we see Ginn wide open and Pennington not even look his way or he saw him and looked him off? Pennington made a conscious effort to stay within his comfort zone (yardage-wise), he wasn't the type of QB who could take advantage of Ginn as a receiver at this stage of his career.

People are forgetting that Ginn was drafted because his return skills set him apart from the other available WR's in that draft. We were severely lacking speed on offense and desperately needed a returnman, once this FO took Ginn off of returns to focus solely on the WR position, part of what made him valuable was neglected. Instead of looking at how he was being used, folks just decided that he was a failure at everything and we have these threads pop up from time to time. Just like with Ronnie, when he was sharing carries or he was only getting 8 carries per game due to poor playcalling, people called him a bust. When we fed him the ball, he looked like an elite player.

Lets see what Ginn can do with a QB (Henne) who can actually throw the ball deep, and for christ sake, lets give Henne more than one game to get comfortable. After the Bills game, the first post I saw was "Oops, Ginn finally has a strong armed QB, let the excuses begin" (paraphrasing). Also keep in mind the offense that we run, we are never going to have the passing game of a team like the Saints, if we did it would come at the expense of the running game and then folks would pounce on Ronnie.

Some people just need something to complain about.

35. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
  36. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So, Ginn didn't go after an obviously uncatchable ball? OH NOES! I mean, I see the point, but don't really agree with it. Would be one thing if Ginn was known as a lazy player. But, I also don't think it's a bad thing to light his *** on fire a little, either.
    Posted via Mobile Device

37. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

Ginn wasn't removed from ST because we wanted to save his vast expertise for WR.......he was sucking it up on returns so they went in a new direction.

Penny threw 19 TD's last year and Ginn got 2 of them.......TWO

Its the QB

The system

He needs more time

The coaches fault for using him incorrectly

No......it's time to face the fact that he just isn't that good of a WR. He has a very limited skill set.

Well look around, it's a lot more than "some" complaining about him.

38. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    well there's a lot more telling info there than the excuse laden post I just read of yours.....

39. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This is neither here nor there, but in Pennington's entire time in New York, a receiver eclipsed the 1000 yard mark just 4 times.

When you consider what L2G posted - that they only had the 1 back system as opposed to our run heavy 2-Back system - I wouldn't say their receivers were overly productive.

40. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Have we given up on Hartline and Turner already?

padre31 likes this.