1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbins evolvement garnering respect from his players.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    " we have a chance to be a very good football team"

Philbin.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...oe-philbin-miami-bullying-aftermath/13639667/

evz, SICK, Pariah and 9 others like this.
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Would be kinda kooky if that bully sh** was the cog that saved his job long term.

Larry Little and DPlus47 like this.
  3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    He does seem different this year. Last season his press conferences were painful to watch, so far this year he's been honest, respectful and humorous with the media. Last year he was putting on a wannabe Belichick act.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Good article. I hope it turns into wins.

SICK, rdhstlr23 and Clark Kent like this.
  5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

It seems this year's team is playing a little looser and with more fun/excitement in practices than last year too. Not sure who's most responsible for it, but my money is on Finnegan/Delmas/Davis/Taylor/Landry and a few others.

We've got a few "hair on fire" guys this year...can't wait!

Larry Little likes this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Absolutely true, comp,ete 180 from where it was last year..he truly has been doing what Wallace said, and that is an obvious concerted effort to be a better more communicative head coach and man.

I've been tough on him, for the very reasons he needed to change, but if he's making this effort so visibly then I can only respect that.

DPlus47 likes this.
  8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    " very" is the key word..

" very" means expectations.

9. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Echoes of "Fail Forward Fast?"

EDIT: only with a happier ending, hopefully...

Bpk likes this.
  10. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I agree with you. I haven't been happy with a lot of what Philbin has done here, but I really hope he figures things out this year. It does look like he is making a sincere effort to change things that haven't worked, and that's all you can ask of anyone.

11. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Sometime a while back, I tried to come up with a coach he somewhat resembled, and Coughlin was one of the only coaches who came to mind. I certainly hope he follows suit. I wonder if he has ever made that connection and sought advice from him?

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This makes me happy.

Good for Philbin for recognizing he needed to make changes and doing it. Hopefully this creates a spark.

SICK, Clark Kent and Larry Little like this.
  13. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    W-L

Bpk likes this.
  14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Great post DJ. That article was probably the most positive thing I've read this entire off-season. At least in terms of making me feel good about the team in 2014.

Tannehill's remarks about the adjustments Philbin made during 2013 (Which have apparently continued through 2014) after the bullying scandal are the most encouraging aspect of that article. During that period, prior to the final two games, Miami was 5-2. Two losses were by a combined 7 points. And we came pretty close to winning that Carolina game. Obviously, we can't just discount those final two losses to the NYJ and Buffalo. They happened. They were embarrassing. It sucked. But given Ryan's comments, and the W-L streak prior, maybe they're overstated as far as Philbin's ability to coach. Or maybe I'm just hoping?

I'm still scared ****less about this offensive line. That hasn't changed. Philbin's approach may yield dividends overall, but the offensive line makes or breaks this season.

djphinfan and DPlus47 like this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I tell ya what, we dominated that cam newton offense, that game exposed that player for what I knew he was, and that's a great running Qb with very questionable passing ability..dominated them except for a couple of scramble runs...unfreakin believable.

Line has more talent across the board...Pouncey will be back earlier than expected..

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That 4th and 10 that went for a first down was very frustrating.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I remember arguing all week how newton was completely overrated with a bunch of panther fans that came on the board, I told them all he has is his legs and to truly watch him stink up the joint with his arm. they had nothing to say after because they knew he stunk up the joint..if it wasn't for Coyle fu@&in up before the half that game was ours.

18. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. It is a good article.

I'm not a Philbin fan. Most know that.

However, should I be wrong, and I would LOVE to be wrong because that means we're winning, this is an article I'll remember. It sounds like he's letting up on the reigns a little, but it still has to translate into wins like you suggested, DFD.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am not a Philbin fan either, however it isn't set in stone. I can become a fan of his really quickly.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wouldn't call his passing ability questionable as much as I would say streaky. People say Tannehill's passing is streaky, but I see Newton as far more up and down. Newton was given far more freedom to run so that protected him. Newton can dominate when he's able to use his best skills, but he would have been far below Tannehill if he were stuck in Miami's offense the last two years. Tannehill has rarely been protected.

As for Philbin, I've been disappointed in him b/c I expected the guy who would adjust himself and his system to his players and I don't feel he's done that much or well the first two years. But being more communicative and flexible is a good sign as is bringing in an innovative OC. Obviously we'll have to wait for the season to see if lets Lazor run his O or if he micro manages, but there are at least some positive signs.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree Rafs, I don't call a lack of innate accuracy alongside bad fundamentals and mechanics streaky, I call it questionable...can he hit some passes, sure, but in the big pic, the only thing he's got going for him, is from the waist down.

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The reason I don't call it questionable is that I've seen him be accurate on all the throws at times. Therefore I can't question his ability to make them. But since he only makes them some of the time he is, by definition, streaky.

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I see your hidden code!!!! Welcome back, Richie's Dad!

24. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Dude, are you still a 'Parcells' Guy, as the whatever-they-call-the-text-under-your-name suggests?

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think most qbs can make the throws on occasion at this level..I feel like newtons mechanics are jacked, there are times where he simply cannot sync his footwork and throwing motion..it's downright ugly..you call that streaky I call it poor passing ability.if he didn't have Those Legs he'd be a bust imo.

26. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Too many coaches we've had in the past were too stubborn or too locked into what worked in the past, that they weren't able to adapt, or innovate. Hopefully Philbin succeeds; if he doesn't, it won't be from lack of effort.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think a grown man trying to change will earn respect from players..if it's genuine..

28. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I got so tired of giving up 3rd or 4th and long all the time last year.