1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin's Comments to the Media

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Once again, he is proving to be the unquestioned leader of this team. I love his no bulls*** approach to coaching and his demeanor. It says a lot about the man and how he operates. I also love how he holds people accountable.

Last week he challenged Tannehill and look at the result. Today he questioned the OL and missed blitz pickups. While praising SS24, he also noted that his breakdown on 4th and the game needed improvement. I quoted the stuff of note for me:

LOVE this. It isn't that complicated. He is stressing to the team that if you EXECUTE on the fundamentals, everything else will fall into place. No "woe is me" Sparano speil about staying up all night dissecting every play. Football is simple. Do your job and do it well and we will succeed. Can't stress how much I love this quote.

Stating the obvious there, but once again, going back to fundamentals and the things we need to improve on, despite the ungodly performance by Tannehill.

Looks like DThomas wasn't to blame for the failed blitz pickup. But I like how he called it out. We can coach it, but until you do it, it's just a bunch of talk.

Career game for SS24? Possibly. Shutdown Fitz most of the game - Yes. Failure when we needed him most? Yes.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-miami-dolphins-1002-20121001,0,3718152.story

2. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Man! It is so nice having a REAL coach!

dolfan7171, the 23rd and Bumrush like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I like Philbin because he knows WHY we lost and he will work to fix it. I was never convinced coach Fist Pump understood why his team wasn't successful.

dolfan7171, jsizzle and SICK like this.
  4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Seriously? We didn't win because we didn't kick enough FG's every game.

dolfan7171, Disnardo and MonstBlitz like this.
  5. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    One with real intelligence, is the difference.

Disnardo and jsizzle like this.
  6. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I like the man as well, however after years of hearing how this years team is going to get better and just wait till next year I am not sure the fans will be willing to grant him the time he is going to need to rebuild this team. I say REBUILD because that is exactly what they are doing. They wont say it publicly because Ross already said we were not but alas we are.

7. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Precisely. He could stay up all night and still not have his finger anywhere near as much on what to do. Why? Nowhere near as intelligent IMO.

MonstBlitz, jsizzle and Bumrush like this.
  8. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Success may come sooner than anyone would like to admit.

Think about this. If we can take care of business against the Bengals and continue to improve, week over week, we could be sitting at 6-3. Bengals, Rams at home, @ Jets, @ Indy, Titans at home. 10-6 is not out of the question, assuming we lose to San Fran on the road, @ NE and @ the Jills.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. But it's possible with the way this team has been playing. The process has already accelerated for Tannehill in 4 short weeks and the team is being drilled by Philbin on developing a winning mentality.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he said the right thing about SS24 on that final play in that he needed to be "a little tighter".

What he didn't seem to say was that SS24 bit on a fake he shouldn't have bit on. I'm glad he didn't say that because I think SS24 had every reason to bite on that fake skinny post as it would have seen Roberts streaking right to the vacated zone between Smith and Reshad Jones who had started out from more of a left safety look and had to cross some distance just to get into a middle safety look at the snap. There was no real way Reshad was going to be able to help cover Roberts on that play if he'd run to the inside.

What I would have liked Joe Philbin to admit is that there needed to be a valid pass rush on that play and if they needed to use a timeout before the play to ensure they get that pass rush, so be it. Kolb had all day and the defenders were visibly tired except Olivier Vernon who was just visibly bad at rushing the passer.

10. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    After 8.5 sacks, is it reasonable for the coach to expect us to drill Kolb on every play? When is the secondary responsible for making the play to ice the game? Remember, earlier in the drive we drove them back 10 yards on back to back sacks, only to give up 15 on a 3rd and 20 and allow the conversion on 4th down.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yes, we had a timeout in our pocket on that 4th and 10 play they scored on. It would have been very smart to use it, to give our pass rushers a little more of a breather and make sure the best package and coverages were called.

12. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    This is totally agree with. You could tell the D was gassed and there was 22 seconds left. We should have taken a TO.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012