1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin benched Incognito during the Titans game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Nov 12, 2012.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I was just watching The Coaches Show on NFL Network. They said Philbin was sending the message, we wanna win, but we wanna win the right way. I knew we benched Reggie for quite some time after his fumble, they mentioned that but they also mentioned something I didn't realize.
    After Incognito get his penalty, I believe it was un-necessary roughness, Philbin benched Incognito. They showed a clip of it, Incognito was saying something to Philbin and Philbin said something back and signaled for him to step back.
    Just wondering If anyone else knew about this. I definitely hate how bad we lost, but I love hearing stuff like this.

2. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What you saw was part of a meltdown. There will not be a single player in that locker room, Incognito and Reggie especially, who won't be listening to what Coach has to say during this short week. They will finally get it that all the good things that were said about them require a consistent level of effort far beyond what they can comfortably give, they will realize that they still suck, and will come out breathing fire on Thursday, like the Titans did last Sunday.

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    He got benched for the rest of the series i believe. They even showed and talked about it on cbs, which is rare since their coverage is usually just a commercial fest.

It was the right thing to do IMO. Richie negated a nice big ru. By DT because of his stupidity.

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, saw the whole thing. He was standing on the sideline facing Philbin after he'd been pulled, he was trying to explain himself to both Philbin and OL coach Jim Turner... Philbin just kind of laughed at him... both he and Turner looked at each other... and then Philbin gave him the thumb to get the **** back onto the bench. From a pure entertainment standpoint, it was about as high on the scale as possible.

5. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    What I saw, during the game in fact, was that when Incognito went off the field, it looked like he said something to Philbin, which prompted Philbin at first to sort of look over his shoulder at him in response, and then to turn completely around and face Incognito eye to eye, with his face a few inches from Incognito's facemask.

At that point it looked like something very brief was exchanged between them, and then it looked like Philbin motioned for Jim Turner, the OL coach, to take over and get Incognito away from Philbin, as done by the thumb gesture people have mentioned.

I even mentioned this in the game thread, that it looked like an "Incognito/Philbin issue" at the time.

6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    That I think is entirely possible, and hopefully it happens, but turning points such as those can also go the other direction, where the team starts to disintegrate, and things get worse. It's effective player leadership IMO that makes the difference there.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I like it, if this team got full of itself after some notoriety, and obviously came out and sh&$ the bed, they deserve to be humiliated...maybe they should try going back to pissed off..

dolfan7171 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  8. CRAZYFACE

CRAZYFACE Active Member

Sep 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmmmm. Maybe Ingognito told Mr Philbin a few home truths, like "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR F'IN DOING YOU MUPPET". And Mr Philbin said "Ha, really?, well you can have a seat as you watch me coach us to an awesome win".

Hows that working now? :angry:

9. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Yeah but at some point you gotta get over that hump, and that, IMO, comes from leaders among the players who take ownership of the team and inspire their teammates with a future goal in mind. You can't always be the pissed off underdog who's flying under the radar if you wanna get somewhere.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

muscle979, SICK, dolfan7171 and 2 others like this.
  11. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Well, I was going to be very sarcastic and nominate this post for the "Most Incredibly Dumb Post of the Week" award, but...

What I will write instead is that Richie Incognito ought to be very happy if he can find about three quarters of his posterior after that asinine penalty. That was nothing more than a incredibly stupid act on his part, and Philbin did exactly the correct thing. I hope somebody in the showers thanked R.I. for his contribution to the loss. I don't think he should start Thursday, or even play for that matter unless he apologizes to the team for sheer stupidity.

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I saw it during the game and it's pretty straight forward.

Richie basically killed a productive drive with his post-play antics and Philbin subsequently pulled him for the remainder of the series. Instead of 1st & 10 at the 14 after Daniel Thomas' 14-yard run, it's 1st & 25 at the 43.

It was foreshadowed a bit by something I saw on the very first drive. After a running play, a defender was just standing there near the pile. After the whistle, Richie just shoves him from the side. One of the officials saw it and got in front of him. So he was probably already on their radar.

13. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah I saw that first incident. I don't know how I missed him getting pulled out of the game for a drive. Guess I was too busy posting something in the game thread.
    I guess he didn't like being in 2nd place for the dirtiest player in the NFL.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Cut him some slack.

After all, his user name isn't RATIONALEFACE.

15. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Didn't care for the benching of Reggie Bush in the first half because of his fumble. That made our team extremely, pathetically one dimensional. Yea I get Philbin was trying to send a message but at the cost of a game?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

16. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Let's not kid ourselves. Bush for a quarter and a half a quarter and Incognito for one drive, wouldn't have created 30 something points to win that game. What Philbin did is better for the big picture. I thought he was a little harsh on Bush but right on with Incognito. I respected both decisions.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Have to agree. Isn't that 2 weeks in a row Bush has fumbled? We're not good enough to win and overcome those kinds of mistakes.

18. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    good question. If that's true than I no longer think it was harsh on Bush. But I don't know the answer to that question. I kept up with Daniel Thomas' fumbles, but I didn't think was a big problem for Bush. That play was a shame, it was a great run that resulted in fans going from cheering to cussing.

19. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    It is clear that it is going to take a lot longer to instill a disciplined, consistent approach to playing football within this team. What it will take is a few cuts (As much as I like you style of play, Ritchie, your lack of control and discipline is beginning to draw drive stalling/killing penalties! Beware!) and a few demotions (Fumbles are not allowed, dropped passes have no excuses, missed blocks require some penance [gassers!], missed tackles trying for the glam hit should require carrying a blocking dummy around for a week or so!, etc., etc., etc.) until such time as the individual shows awareness and determination enough to play the game correctly. Let's face it... this team does not have the talent or determination enough to do anything worthwhile in the playoffs even if they should somehow stumble into them. Did you see the missed tackles? Good achin' grief! Coach should have had this bunch running wind sprints until they puked. I LIKE what Philbin is doing! This is not "The Wild Bunch" playing football. They all got killed in the end. This is supposed to be a "TEAM!", not a bunch of maniacs, showoffs, and smack talkers. Stay focused, be quiet, and Kick @$$!

Agua and shula_guy like this.
  20. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I feel the same about it now as I did during the game - he absolutely deserved it. Shame Garner isn't good enough to replace him.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    theres different kinds of pissed off attitudes, it's not about being an underdog..this team besides its Qb is basically a vet team, they should have enough crap in the mental Rolodex over the past few years to be pissed off..if not, then they just don't give a shi$.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Bush fumbled against the colts in our territory..

23. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Personally I think Reggie was already being phased out of the offense to a degree and the fumble just gave them another reason to sit him down.

A lot of us have talked about him dancing too much and leaving yards on the field. With one-cut Daniel Thomas healthy, we've seen him cut more and more into Bush's carries. And we've seen Reggie on the sideline for extended periods.

Lamar Miller was drafted to take over for Reggie and if he gets the mental part down, I think we'll see Bush's role in the backfield further reduced. Ideally we'd get him back out there in the slot and exploit the mismatch that he is in space.

fin13, shouright and Nappy Roots like this.
  24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I talked about Incognito not being very good all off season and was blasted. In this case it sucks being right.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Another part to consider is that Reggie is pretty terrible at pass blocking. With the line having struggles blocking, I assume they think that having Bush in there at pass blocking is a liability.

26. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Cost of a game? Really? You mean if Bush goes out of a game with an injury we'd have no shot at winning?

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  27. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I agree with those that think this was a good move by Philbin when looking at what is best for the team in the long run. The message is the Dolphins are going to play Philbins brand of football.

28. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The whole team didn't show up to play. It looked like they were not even trying or didn't care.

29. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    Incognito deserved it, but man did Garner come in and **** the bed, gave up a quick pressure on 2nd down and looked like he didn't belong on a football field that whole possession...

30. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Imagine the increase in Philbin discipline when we have good depth!

31. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I hate to bring this up in a thread that I created praising something about Philbin that I like. But your post makes me think about a comment I made in another thread. This might be the first loss, where Philbin is to blame. I can make the argument that the whole team wasn't properly prepared for that game. I can't help but think that when the whole team plays like crap. But who knows?

32. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good job benching Incognito, bad job benching Reggie. One was a dumb, mental mistake, the other a physical one where a guy busts his *** to gain a first down and is stripped. If you're gonna sit Reggie down, you do it for one or two series' at the most, not the entire half.

Tone_E likes this.
  33. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Do you say this knowing that Reggie fumbled 2 games in a row? I didn't realize that til a couple of posters pointed it out in this thread.
    Just curious. I first thought it was harsh on Reggie, but I respected Philbin's decision. After knowing it happened in 2 games in a row, I no longer think it was harsh on Reggie. He deserved it IMO.

34. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It wasn't the benching I had a problem with, it was the length of said benching. Not to mention you're replacing him with Daniel Thomas, who's fumbled twice this year, and he's had about half the carries Reggie has.

From what I've seen, Philbin likes to mask his true reasons for doing things. Like Muck mentioned, they could be phasing Reggie out and this was there excuse. Remember when Chad Johnson got cut? Philbin said it wasn't just the arrest. Basically, they were looking for an excuse to cut him and the arrest made his decision easy. I'm not a fan of that. If you wanna bench a guy, bench him. If you wanna cut a guy, cut him. Release Reggie right now and give all his carries to Lamar Miller. Don't *****foot and "phase a guy out". That's bull**** IMO.

This is going to sound like a harsh criticism of Philbin, but it's not. It probably doesn't affect the final score of a game much, if at all, it's just that different coaches have different styles, and I'm just not a fan of this particular ploy he uses.

35. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    But operating under the assumption that winning is important and trumps all might not work this season. It shouldn't really work in any season, but we know how that goes. We aren't going anywhere this year, so why not make use of the time to make sure the foundation is laid. And, most times to do that it takes more than benching a scrub etc., it takes a team leader or well respected guy to take it on the chin for everyone else to see.

Philbin pulled Tanny too after a point. Winning this game in this season doesn't do much to reinforce Philbin's message, we've already won some games and played well in others to the point where players know they can win his way. Getting the other points across may be more important than this particular game. Why? If this one game is a watershed in terms of getting players back in line and maybe winning more games down the stretch. Winning this one game and neglecting the fact that some things were happening which if not corrected will cost us games down the line will be harder to fix if we push the correct way to the back of the line in order to get instant gratification.

It's old school, and dare I say - very much a Parcells, Chuck Knoll, Don Shula way of doing things. Hard men leading other hard men playing a hard game.

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My thing is, where do you draw the line? Is this a one-time thing where Philbin decided he was going to send a message, or do you bench future RB's for fumbling also? If it's a one-time thing, then he went a little overboard with his message, and if it's going to be a consistent thing, he went a little overboard with his message.

37. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And FWIW, Philbin benched Tannehill well into the 4th quarter after he'd thrown 3 picks. The game was basically over. Even the Titans had taken out Locker by then. Not sure you can consider that a benching for poor performance.

38. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I don't see him going overboard. We don't know if there have bee talks about Reggie protecting the ball better or not. I would assume there has been, as we didn't see any real conversation between Bush and Philbin regarding the incident, or maybe we missed it. It can also be seen as a challenge in many ways. Elevate your play or we'll put the next guy in.

Bush has seen this type of thing happen already this season, where he fumbled and didn't see the field for a while. Its just that this one was significant in the length of time he was riding the pine. They cut Nanee after that one debacle of a fumble against Arizona, so in some ways fumbling is an issue with out head coach. If he's talked about it over and over again and nothing has changed then really he either follows through with the threat - which must have been stated at some point - or he is seen as weak and unwilling to follow through.

As a new coach Philbin has to be harder now than he does a year or two from now. The players who remain or have been drafted will be assimilated by other players who already know the norms. Philbin can't be one way and then be harder later, it doesn't work. In that way its much like being a parent. One that actually wants to be a parent and not a buddy who also happens to be a parent. Sometimes you have to do whats best regardless of the outcome, or how it makes you look to the other person. Only then does the other person truly know or believe you will follow through on other 'threats' (within reason obviously, somethings will get you arrested :lol:) otherwise you're just talking. Talking doesn't do much to change people's behavior, they need to know what the 'otherwise' or 'or else' is.

39. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Never said it was done solely for performance. I just said it happened. And even against the Texans he let Tanny finish the game, this one he didn't and Tannehill wasn't simply getting drilled every throw.

40. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A couple of points: Naanee should've been cut long before that fumble, which goes back to what I was saying earlier about Philbin masking his true reasoning for things. Convenient to cut a guy for one play when he shouldn't have been on the roster in the first place. Reggie made a great play just to get the first down, then was stripped. Naanee fumbled after after a strong gust from the AC vent reached it's way towards him.

Like I said though, it's a difference in philosophy. I just disagree with it.