1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFW cornerback rankings

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MrClean, Mar 8, 2009.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Just seen the rankings in their newsstand mag and they are a little unique, but who knows, maybe they are right.
    What is odd, is that when their digest sized book comes out in a few weeks, the rankings will often be all different. As if two different entities did the rankings, but it is said to be primarily Nolan Nawrocki in both publications.

1, Malcolm Jenkins Ohio St
    2. Jairus Byrd Oregon
    3. Alphonso Smith Wake Forest
    4. Coye Francies San Jose St
    5. Vontae Davis Illinois
    6. D.J. Moore Vanderbilt
    7. Sean Smith Utah
    8. Darius Butler UConn
    9. Cary Harris USC
    10. Sherrod Martin Troy
    11. DeAngelo Smith Cincinnati
    12. Victor Harris Va Tech
    13. Mike Mickens Cincinnati
    14. Don Carey Norfolk St
    15. Ryan Mouton Hawaii
    16. Chris Owens San Jose St
    17. Asher Allen Georgia
    18. Morgan Trent Michigan
    19. Brandon Underwood Cincinnati
    20. Keenan Lewis Oregon St
    21. Dominique Johnson Jackson St
    22. Jerraud Powers Auburn
    23. Derek Pegues Miss St
    24. Kevin Barnes Maryland
    25. Bradley Fletcher Iowa
    26. Donald Washington Ohio St
    27. Greg Tolar St. Pauls (Va.)
    28. DeAndre Wright New Mexico
    29. Brandon Hughes Oregon St
    30. Bruce Johnson Miami (Fla.)
    31. Wopano Osaisai Stanford
    32. Lydell Sargeant Penn St
    33. Joe Burnett Central Fla
    34. Trevor Ford Troy
    35. LaDarrius Webb Nicholls St (La.)

ToddsPhins, Big Red and alen1 like this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The Dolphins have been particularly interested in Sherrod Martin.

3. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They're making it painfully obvious that their desire is a CB Darius Butler size and above which likely is the reason Andre Goodman is gone (plus his age) and Jason Allen is being looked at as a possible starter.

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Goodman is bigger than Butler IIRC.

Butler is 1'' taller but is 7 lbs lighter. To me that may be a bit of a push looking at those two numbers.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Wasnt Leodis McKelvin from Troy as well? If Martin is close that talent we should be all over him.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He's big, he's strong, he can run, he can hit (albeit not forcefully) and he can intercept passes. Sherrod Martin is a good all-around prospect without being a fancy or eye-grabbing one, sort of like Chip Vaughn is a good all-around safety prospect without being a fancy or eye-grabbing one.

7. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Where would you predict him to be available? Could we take him at 3 or lower, or would we need to do 2b or even 2a?

I would like to see us go with 2-3 CBs in the draft, would be interesting if we do to see how they space them out.

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I personally think Martin can be there at 3 (maybe later, it's in the eye of the beholder in his case IMO).

9. MrClean

I think we will prefer corners who have above average size and are physical players.
    The guys that seem like Parcells types to me are:
    Sean Smith
    Jairus Byrd
    Coye Francies
    Keenan Lewis
    Sherrod Martin
    DeAngelo Smith
    Jahi Word-Daniels
    Cary Harris

alen1 likes this.
  10. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Sean Smith 2a and Sherrod Martin in 3-4? Seems like a solid combo to pick up. However, we may go for a smaller, quicker guy to play the slot.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    1.) Alphonso Smith
    2.) Malcolm Jenkins
    3.) Vontea Davis
    4.) Jairus Byrd
    5.) D.J. Moore

12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Byrd over Moore? How come?

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    From what I have saw Iam very high on Byrd....guy is a great tackler and a ball hawk, seemed like every Oregon game I would stay up and watch he was making big plays.

Byrd is just as fast as Moore and weighs 24 pounds more than him. I think Moore has some real upside but like I said Im really high on Byrd.

14. MrClean

That thought crossed my mind too. We do need someone to neutralize guys like Welker. In my latest mock draft, I had 3 corners with the last one being best suited for nickel back, in Garvin.

15. MrClean

I agree. The more I think about it, Byrd has all the characteristics Parcells would want in a corner, except ideal height. He has a track record of his corners drafted being 5-11 or taller. Byrd is 5101, but has good weight and strength, and is a physical player, all traits which would endear him to Parcells and I'd guess the height is close enough. :up:

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed with you. I like Cary Harris and Coye Francies. I recall Harris having some long arms. I could be wrong here but I believe Harris had the third longest arms at the combine. Have to wonder if Victor "Macho" Harris fits in on that list/

I think its possible that they're selected, although I don't see Smith at selection forty-four. One thing that those two present to this management and coaching staff is versatility. Both have spent time playing safety at one point in their college careers.

17. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Been watching a lot of Jairus Byrd over the weekend and I came away with the following word written 4/5 times on my notes:

PLAYMAKER.

Guy had 17 picks in 3 seasons and whilst he's not Deion quick, he's plenty quick enough and he really does all the little things very well. His technique is sound as the proverbial pound and he plays the run really well.

ToddsPhins and Fin-Omenal like this.
  18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    What area would you possibly expect him to go around? Is he a 1st round possible, or can we maybe grab him at 2a or even 2b?

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I personally think mid-late 2nd, but it will depend on how quickly cbs come off the board IMO.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thats a valid point, if you remember last year when teams began to pannick and reach for OT's late in the first just because they were being drafted like hotcakes.

21. MrClean

His arm length is 31 3/4 " so not even close to the 3rd longest corner arms, let alone entire combine. The longest corner arms are S Smith and Keenan Lewis as for the combine anyway.

22. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    V. Harris would be on the screen, mainly due to his connection to VaTech ...

Boom - do you see any chance that Byrd is still around @ 25 .... doesn't seem too promising, and i don't see us moving up for a CB (only for a MLB [only see 2] or OLB [only see 3])

23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think a guy like Bryd is a must on any team considering the abundance of quality, averaged speed, physical WRs in the NFL. No way DJ Moore matches up the same way in that scenario. LOL.

I'm also fond of Sherrod Martin who can at the very least move to FS after Wilson eventually replaces Bell.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How about Mark Parson covering the slot...and then some? Why is he not being mentioned at all? He did a great job against Eddie Royal 2 years ago (3 catches for 30 yards).... and Robiskie this year (3 catches for 8 yards). No offense was really challenging the kid all year.