1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFT--New trade chart

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by taaff, Apr 4, 2008.

1. taaff

taaff Season Ticket Holder

Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Fixed your link! :)

taaff likes this.
  3. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    I agree. I think that it undervalues the earlier picks a little too much. I understand that they are more expensive but this goes a little too far. The old chart had them overvalued (except perhaps on that rare occasion when there is a consensus number one player) and this one has overcompensated a little too much.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not like it. I just don't think the 21st and 24th pick in the draft are worth nearly as much as any in the top 5. Even with salary cap considerations.

Top 5 picks, if picked right, should be all pro to hall of fame players. 21st and 24th pick should be great starters to pro bowlers.

5. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Good intentions but bad results. Back to the drawing board boys.

6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The important thing to remembers is that the Draft pick value chart is only a guideline .

Market conditions will dermine the real value.What is a team prepared to offer and what is a team prepared to accept ?

7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Maybe that's what it's going to take to make the league understand how bad the whole DP compensation thing needs to be capped/redone. Agree though it seems a little swung too far the other way.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I agree with that. I just think as a guideline it is flawed.

9. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    I like the idea a whole lot, I just think the values per pick (especially in the top 15 of Rd.1) have been reduced a bit too far. I would say start the 1st pick with 2000 and work down from there.

All in all, it's a good idea. It just requires a tad more thought and realistic value to each pick to make it more accurate.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, it's a nice try and it does need to be revamped but this one is way off... I mean, if you're sitting there with two second round picks trying to trade into the lower half of the first round, you need to add more than both second rounders... in fact the drop between the 32nd and 33rd picks makes no sense... a 155 point drop... the equivalent of a high 3rd round pick... I could do better than that...

11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well, it's not perfect.

first of all, I think ANY draft trade chart ONLY makes sense when applied to THAT year's talent. for example, this year, the top three or four guys are almost even (Long, Long, Dorsey, ryan, even mcFadden), so having the 1-5 picks be closer in value makes sense. In a year where the top TWO are practically future HoF talents, then there's a huge dropoff, it would not make sense to use the same chart.

so, I think the chart needs to be asessed yearly by GM's around the league in conjunction with their scouting dept's and getting feedback from agents (who will always insist THIS year's talent is better than last years, therefore deserving of more money).. so maybe we don;t bother consulting the agents, on second thought).

honestly, I think this chart is CLOSER to realistic than the OLD chart, where #1 was worth 3000 points and anyone lower than #3 would have to give us their entire DRAFT class to equal it.

I don't like this chart solely because we have the #1 pick and WISH it were worth more, but because of the talent levels this year and the huge disadvantage of the huge contracts up top, I honestly feel this chart is pretty fair.

forgetting I am a miami fan (which is hard to do), i think the chart's a defnitie imporvement. heck, I have been arguing for us to discount our #1 pick in a trade and ask for much less than the old chart indicated.

Bpk

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  12. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Compensatory picks need to be removed from that chart as they are not available for trade. It's worthless to assign point values to them.

And it costs more to go from 17 to 16 than it does to go from 11 to 7. That makes no sense what so ever.

13. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

I think if they took the old chart and just flattened the curve on the top 10 picks or so it would be better. Something about halfway between what they did and the old one would be OK. The new one goes too far.

And when the league finally imposes a rookie salary cap (as Florio is so ardent about) the new chart will go out the window, and the old one will make a comeback anyway.

Bpk likes this.
  14. Jed

Jed Ryan to Wallace!

Jan 3, 2008
    NY
    I agree, that is a huge problem. I have us trading down from 33 to a 2nd and 3rd, and in this chart we wouldn't be able to come close to that because 33 is so much less than 32. It makes no sense...

15. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    That looks like a trade chart done by a grade schooler in 5 minutes. Really god awful across the board.

16. taaff

taaff Season Ticket Holder

Dec 7, 2007
    The chart clearly needs work, but Florio did note that it is only a draft, and has asked for comments. There is a clear need for a better value chart as long as the top rookie salaries are as they are, with huge guaranteed money, and with the CBA mess coming up, there is likely to be no early end to the way things presently are, as the owners cannot just impose a rookie salary solution.

17. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    So, moving from the #6 pick in the draft to the #1 slot will cost you less than if you moved from #33 to #32. That chart goes way too overboard in the importance of guaranteed money versus potential quality of player.

18. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    A generic guideline to draft picks seems a bit silly to me. Compare past trades for the top picks, when theres a player that has a huge buzz around them its a blockbuster deal. No one would give us a blockbuster for any player in this draft, there just isn't one guy that has everyone hungry to trade up.

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, I can see it now...Tuna rushes into the Fins war room on draft day..."Hey, wait a minute John and Tony" Hold our choice up, we have a new trade chart that some internet hack has developed that we need to use instead of the one we are already using !! Call Roger and get us an extra 15 minutes on the pick so we can re-do our board room...."