1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF Ratings for the Cards game and overall

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrClean, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Reshad Jones had a +1.6 and is now a +7.2 and the #2 overall safety in the league.
    Clemons had his best rating ever at +2.2 and is now a +3.9 and the 14th overall safety.
    A quick glance shows Atlanta, Baltimore and Arizona as other teams with a pair of top 15 safeties.

Marshall had his 4th overall minus rating, -1.1, and is now the 85th overall corner at -3.7. His passer rating allowed in his coverage is now 101.2 with a 60.9 comp pct on passes thrown.
    Smith is the 21st corner overall now. His +3.0 was his 2nd best rating ever and only bested by a +5.1 in week 14 of 2010 against Buffalo. His overall now stands at +3.1. His comp pct allowed is 41.7 and his passer rating allowed is 52.7
    Carroll is now the 88th corner at -4.6. He has been negative ratings wise in all 4 games. However, he has allowed only a 47.4 comp pct and a 70.4 passer rating.

The #1 ILB/MLB is now Dansby. There are a few players to be added for week 4 yet, including Bowman and Willis. Dansby is a +7.9 overall, and was a +2.3 against the Cards. Bowman and Willis are a 5.4 and 5.0 without the Jets game figured in yet.

Starks was a -0.3 against the Cards, and is now +6.1 overall and the 7th DT. Soliai was a +1.2 for the game and 4.7 overall and is now the 15th DT. Randall was a +0.6 for the game and a +0.2 overall and looks to be a solid DT reserve.

Wake's overall rating from week 3 was adjusted from a +9.5 to a +10.0 after I posted for last week's game. I guess it was such a high grade they had someone else verify it? This week however, he was a +11.4 and credited with 5 sacks and 7 hurries. This is now his best single game ever. His pass rush grade alone was a +10.7. He is now the 2nd best defensive player ratings wise overall with a 27.4, after JJ Watt at 28.6.
    Odrick is now the 41st DE overall. His rating for this game was his worst this season and 3rd worst ever at -2.0. His overall rating is now -2.6. His pass rush rating of -7.5 is 3rd worst for 4-3 DEs and his pass rush rating for this game was -2.7, his worst ever. His run def rating of +3.2 is now 11th for 4-3 DEs.
    Vernon is the 29th DE with an overall +0.4. He has a -1.6 pass rushing and a +1.5 in run def.

Burnett is now a +6.2 and the 6th overall 4-3 OLB. His rating for this game was a +4.1 and his best as a Dolphin, and actually also his best single game from 2008 on, when PFF started. He is currently 8th against the run and 15th in pass coverage.
    Misi is the 14th overall 4-3 OLB at +4.3. He was a +1.6 for the game which was his best since 2010. He was +1.1 rating both for run def and pass rush. This was his 1st multi-sack game/
    He is 2nd for run defense among 4-3 OLBs at +7.6

Bess is now the 8th overall WR with a +5.7. He was a +2.6 for the game and after his +2.3 last week this was his best back to back games since 2009.
    Hartline is the 10th overall WR with a +5.5. His +4.1 for the game was by far his best ever. No surprise there.
    The vaunted Legetron is now 103rd of 106 WRs, but for the life of me I cannot see why he isn't 106th. I'm confident he'll secure his rightful spot at 106th soon.

Long is 40th OT at -0.5. He was -2.2 for the game and -3.4 run blocking, which was his run block rating for week 3. His two worst run blocking ratings ever, and both back to back. He has the 3rd worst run block rating in the league for OTs now with -6.1. His pass blocking rating is +5.6 and 8 best for tackles.
    Martin is now the 61st OT at -7.5. -2.9 pass blocking and -4.1 run blocking. He has the 4th most hurries with 13. His ratings have gotten progressively worse each game.
    Incognito is now the 62nd G at -6.1. He is -1.5 pass blocking and -4.4 run blocking. For the game he was a -1.7 and -1.9 run blocking.
    Jerry is 35th G at -0.6. He is -2.5 pass blocking and +2.1 run blocking. For the game he was +0.3 and -1.6 pass blocking and a +2.1 run blocking.
    Pouncey is still the best C at a +10.8. He is 5th in pass blocking at +3.1 and 1st run blocking at +7.3. For the game he was +3.9, his best ever. He was a +1.2 pass and a +2.5 run.

Fasano is now the 5th TE at a +4.9. For the game he was a +3.8, his 5th best as a Dolphin.
    Tannehill is now the 22nd QB with a +1.0. For the game he was a +2.7, which wasn't as high as week 2 when he was a +3.9. His passer rating, 66.4, is 3rd worst, ahead of Weeden and Cutler, though the latter may pass him with a strong game on MNF tonight. He has been up and down each week, so hopefully he can produce another good game this week and show he can do it consistently. Hopefully, Coyle's knowledge of the Bengals' D may help him.

Bush is now the 26th HB at +0.1. This was his worst game, mainly because of his pass blocking rating of -1.3 and was a -3.0 overall.
    Thomas is 48th of 51 HBs with a -5.9. This game was his best rush rating though with a -0.8
    Bush and Miller are 14th and 19th for all HBs in run ratings with 2.1 and 1.1.

Lane was a -1.1 for the game, his worst game so far, mainly because of a -1.1 run block rating. He is now the 11th overall FB.

Carp is 19th overall K but 30th overall for FG/EP. His overall is elevated because he is 9th on KOs.
    Fields is the 4th overall punter.

djphinfan, GARDENHEAD, Sippi and 27 others like this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Nice stuff. Thanks Clean.

Clemons has me surprised.

Seriously unhappy about Odrick, a first round DT talent, being played at DE. Such misuse of talent that even Vernon is outperforming him.

Both are little more than block-eaters right now. They occasionally get a havoc sack created by Wake.

Pandarilla likes this.
  3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Who dat say we have a big need at safety? :shifty:

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks for this.

Damn do we need stud at CB and another pass rusher. Pleasantly surprised by the safety play this year.

5. MrClean

It's looking ok now, but let's see how many picks or forced fumbles they each get for the season. It would be nice if they could combine for ten ints or so.

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Thanks a lot Clean, nice post.

Wow, everyone *****in' about our safeties can suck it...

djphinfan likes this.
  7. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Looking at those stats you would expect us to be one of the worse running teams in the league. Strange.

Thank you btw, great post.

8. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think we take our run-stopping ability for granted. Odrick clearly plays a role in our superior run defense on early downs.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Both of them are better run defenders/pass rushers than ball hawks, if they can just keep the big plays to a minimum I'll be satisfied. 10 TOs caused would be icing on the cake great IMO.

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yep. Our entire front seven can flat play the run. Clemons, Jones and Marshall aint bad either.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    jake struggling, i don't want to pay that guy close to 90 million, i hope we move on

Mr772 likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that its very possible that we let Starks walk after the season and move Odrick to DT full time. The team isnt likely to be able to resign every one of our UFA, and Starks is the only one where we have an in house replacement. I dont want to see Starks leave, but it seems like a sound business decesion. It would be much harder to replace Long, or Smith, and I think that the team keeps Bush and Hartline too.

arsenal likes this.
  13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    How can all of our lineman be so bad at run blocking minus Pouncey and yet Bush is still doing so well? Two man show.

Re-reading PFF has Bush at a -3.0 on the season? Seriously questioning my opinion of them....

gunn34 and CWBIII like this.
  14. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    This team would be foolish to let Starks leave. DT is one position we are extremely solid at with good depth. Keep the position intact.

ssmiami likes this.
  15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pro Football Focus is a bit wonky when it comes to zone blocking. Without seeing them grade something it's hard to tell but I would guess they are weird in what is considered a win or loss in terms of covered and uncovered blocks. They don't grade on technique, they grade on success, and I'm thinking they aren't treating a covered linemen getting horizontal movement and keeping a down linemen blocked while giving second level blocks that aren't great but do the job technically.

Bush is being punished in terms of decision making. He misses cutback lanes, and makes strange decisions with the ball but is still very productive because of his physical talent. If he was less talented and making the same decisions he was making he would be real bad I think.

You're super wrong about that.

CWBIII, ssmiami and Two Tacos like this.
  16. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    not going to happen. We have a boat load of money to spend at season end and it won't be on Jake Long. He is good but not 90 mill good

17. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Anyone is fair game to leave. Ireland has worked hard to get to this point, success is starting to show. He has built a solid core that is reasonably priced ; minus a player or two. This will be adjusted and depth will be added beyond what we have. We without a doubt have one of the best defensive and offensive lines in football. Some is due to talent, a lot with coaching. This off season will be very interesting. This off season is when we add a receiver or two, and it will be in the draft. Remember those 2 #2"s..............hmmm looking good from here. The #1 is going to go on a linemen to replace Jake Long at a substantially discounted price.

18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    People who think turnovers and competent coverage are important. :shifty:

I seriously question PFF's ratings of Jones and Clemons if they're the #2 and #14 safeties respectively. Alternatively, the 2012 NFL has a serious dearth of talent at safety. Also alternatively, passing has gotten so efficient that it's having a negative effect on safeties regardless of talent.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Possibly. I think the grading system is still weird. For instance maybe the right lane is a pickup of five yards. The wrong lane isn't guaranteed but one missed tackle away from a 13 yard gain.

Who is to say which is the "right" decision? You could say Reggie makes the right decision based on his talent level and knowing he can make that one guy miss.

gunn34 likes this.
  20. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    That's a good point. I wonder how they would have graded Barry Sanders.

21. MrClean

No. Read again. It was a -3.0 for the Cards game. For the season, he is a 0.1 overall. He is a 0.4 as a receiver, a 2.1 as a runner, -1.5 as a blocker, and -0.9 on penalties.

22. MrClean

FWIW, Ryan Cook, whom we recently traded to Dallas for a 7th, has been their starting C so far this season. He has an overall rating of +3.0 and is the 14th C. +1.6 pass blocking and 0.6 run blocking.

gunn34 likes this.
  23. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They both have an INT which helped them in the rankings. I doubt they're anywhere close to those rankings at the end of the year though, especially after we play New England and Buffalo twice.

24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Its crazy how highly rated our LBs and Safeties are yet we have given up a **** ton of yards. Really shows that CB is a major need. Not sure if Vontae was the answer, weird trading him though.

25. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We got good value though. #VALUE

26. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    This needs to get fixed IMO. He can't continue to be a drive-stopper. This isn't USC, and he ain't Barry Sanders.

27. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The difference with Barry Sanders was that when he danced around behind the line, it far more often led to something.

Don't get me wrong. He was thrown for losses often. But he was far more talented making moves behind the line than Bush IMO, and he rarely tried to bounce stuff outside and reverse field completely like you see Bush doing. You're not going to reverse field completely and have success much in the NFL. What you're going to do is take the equivalent of a sack, put your offense in a difficult down-and-distance situation, and stop the drive.

Sanders tended to make lots of guys miss while staying within the confines of the tackle box, and then quickly heading upfield north and south when he had daylight. Bush is taking wide, sweeping angles toward the sideline like he's playing Pop Warner football.

28. MrClean

I don't think Bush really has been a drive stopper.

Anonymous likes this.
  29. MrClean

We could use one more decent corner, and Vontae was at least that if not more. Ireland is really going to have to nail that 2nd rounder with a player who makes a significant contribution next season for me to ever think he made a smart trade by trading Vontae.

30. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Until the Cardinals game, he wasn't. But he can't play against better run defenses that way. He has to play more conservatively against better run defenses, by taking what's there and waiting for the big runs to open up when they can. He can't play against better run defenses by thinking he's going to "create" a running game himself.

He put is in several difficult down-and-distance situations in the Cardinals game.

31. MrClean

I only recall one from him trying to do too much on his own when it was bottled up playside. That big loss on the pitch left was just an exceptional play by the defender.

32. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Just theorizing here, but is it possible the safeties in Coyle's defense have been overrated by PFF? IIRC, Cincy's safeties had pretty good PFF numbers under Coyle. What are their numbers this year under a different DC?

33. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Here are the ones I'm talking about:

[TABLE="class: mod-data mod-pbp"]
    [TR="class: even"]
    [TD]1st and 10 at ARI 28
    [/TD]
    [TD]R.Bush left tackle to ARZ 33 for -5 yards (C.Campbell).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: odd"]
    [TD="width: 135"]2nd and 15 at ARI 33
    [/TD]
    [TD](Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass incomplete deep left to D.Bess.
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"][/TD]
    [TD]Timeout #1 by MIA at 12:52.
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"]3rd and 15 at ARI 33
    [/TD]
    [TD](Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass incomplete short left to D.Bess (G.Toler).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"]4th and 15 at ARI 33
    [/TD]
    [TD]D.Carpenter 51 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-J.Denney, Holder-B.Fields.
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TD]1st and 10 at MIA 33
    [/TD]
    [TD]R.Bush right tackle to MIA 29 for -4 yards (G.Toler).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"]2nd and 14 at MIA 29
    [/TD]
    [TD]R.Tannehill pass short left intended for D.Bess INTERCEPTED by A.Wilson at MIA 36. A.Wilson to MIA 36 for no gain (D.Bess). The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED. R.Tannehill pass incomplete short left to D.Bess (A.Wilson).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"]3rd and 14 at MIA 29
    [/TD]
    [TD]R.Tannehill pass incomplete deep right to B.Hartline. PENALTY on ARZ-G.Toler, Defensive Pass Interference, 17 yards, enforced at MIA 29 - No Play.
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TD]2nd and 2 at MIA 37
    [/TD]
    [TD]R.Bush left tackle to MIA 28 for -9 yards (S.Acho).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"][/TD]
    [TD]End of Period
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #555555"]
    [TD="colspan: 4"]4th Quarter Play by Play

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"]3rd and 11 at MIA 28
    [/TD]
    [TD](Shotgun) R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 19 for -9 yards (A.Wilson).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 135"]4th and 20 at MIA 19
    [/TD]
    [TD]B.Fields punts 47 yards to ARZ 34, Center-J.Denney. P.Peterson MUFFS catch, touched at ARZ 34, and recovers at ARZ 34. P.Peterson to ARZ 42 for 8 yards (K.Misi). FUMBLES (K.Misi), and recovers at ARZ 42. P.Peterson to ARZ 42 for no gain (J.Denney).
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

And then there were runs where he got no yards or 1 yard when it looked like he could've gotten more had he not been trying to "create" so much.

34. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Criticizing Bush for a couple of losses? This is just too much.

35. MrClean

The only one of those I can definitely envision in my mind is the Acho play, which I mentioned earlier as being the pitch left and was more a great play by him than Bush doing anything different than what the play was designed to do.
    The Campbell play as I recall was an inside run where he tossed Long aside and buried Bush before he could get going. Again, I don't see that result as being from Bush trying to do too much on his own.

I just don't see Bush trying to make something out of nothing once in a while as being a huge problem for the overall success of the offense.

36. MrClean

Reggie Nelson doing well again with a +3.2, 20th overall, Taylor Mays doing well with a +1.9, 26th overall, and Jeromy Miles. their 3rd safety, doing poorly with a -4.4, 65th overall.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  37. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Our defensive backs aren't playing poorly for the most part outside of maybe Nolan Carroll.

They're giving up a bunch of yards, but they've also put their hands on a lot of balls too.

heh balls

38. MrClean

Mr Coyle approves this message.

39. MrClean

Jones' overall 7.2 breaks down like this: 1.5 for pass rushing, 3rd among safeties, 1.7 in coverage, 21st among safeties, and 3.5 against the run, 4th among safeties, 0.5 in penalties, 6th among safeties. His overall is an accumulation of a solid all around effort in all facets.
    Jones is tied for 1st with 4 QB hurries and tied for 2nd with 2 QB hits. That helps give him a good pass rush rating and helps his overall as much as anything as compared to Clemons.

Clemons' overall 3.9 breaks down like this: -0.6 pass rushing, 69th among safeties. 1.5 in coverage, 26th among safeties, 2.5 against the run, 9th among safeties, and 0.5 in penalties, also 6th (tied) among safeties.

40. MrClean

Miami is now 2nd in overall defense with a +60.3. Seattle is first with a 71.7.
    We are 2nd in run defense rating behind just the 49ers, 41.4 to 39.0.
    3rd in pass rush rating with 17.3, behind Seattle and Philly.
    15th in coverage rating with a +2.7.
    10th from best in defensive penalty rating with a +1.3

Miami is also now 5th in overall STs rating with 16.1. Ahead of us, in order, are the Broncos, Vikings, Ravens and Bears.

djphinfan and ssmiami like this.