1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF: Qb's under pressure, Moore ranks #9 overall

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/

Interesting study, Moore was THE easiest Qb to sack, ranking dead last, #34

That said, when pressured his rankings are:

Td to Int..#15 tied with Tebow and ahead of Cam Newton
    Pressured Completion % #15 Ahead of Rivers, Ryan and Flacco

Overall performance under pressure #9 overall, ahead of guys like Ben R, Schuab, Romo.

This dovetails with what I watched in 2011, MMoore would go down a lot, he'd also really hang onto the ball to hit the pass, interesting results really, is the Oline at fault? Moore? Did he just hang tough a bit to often trying to hit the play down the field?

maynard likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's not particularly great at avoiding pressure, but the coaching staff did a genuinely awful job helping him out in that regard.

They had a quality run game they could have based play-action deep shots on, they had a tight end and halfback who were both very good blockers, and a quarterback with good mobility. They chose to throw deep heavily out of under-blocked shotgun formations in which Reggie Bush(who might be the worst starting pass-blocking back in the league) was generally the only blitz-pickup, and kept Moore virtually entirely in the pocket for the entire season.

We lost games because of it, too. They could have done a lot more to mitigate offensive line issues, and still focus the game-plan over what they thought Moore did well.

padre31 likes this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, Moore wasn't particularly fond of checking the ball down. Not sure if it was coaching, but I'd be willing to guess it was Moore himself. Moore was as much of a boom-or-bust QB as there is.

4. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    Once the team started winning, was there a game that Moore's play led directly to a loss? The Eagles game our O-line fell apart. The Pats game, Brady pulled a Brady... I guess in Dallas he did lose that fumble but I forget the circumstances of it.

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Mark Sanchez is ****

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I can't think of an instance where Matt Moore's play lost a game for the team. He did leave some plays on the field against Dallas, and like most quarterbacks that aren't in the Rodgers/Brees/Brady category, he leaves a few plays on the field every game. However, Matt's play was very efficient, and the team's success coincided with his strong play down the stretch. As I have pointed out in several threads, over the Dolphins last 9 games where they went 6-3, Matt Moore had a passer rating of 98.5 and averaged a healthy 7.7 yards per reception, both very strong indicators of winning. Also during that time, the team's passer rating differential was around +25, another very strong indicator of winning. The Dolphins had a magical transformation from the first 7 games, going from an offensive passer rating of 72.1 and defenisve passer rating of 103.5 to an offensive passer rating of around 98.5 and a defensive passer rating of 73.5 over the final 9 games. They went from a -31 to a +25.

first&goal, MrClean, maynard and 2 others like this.
  7. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I thought this thread was about qbs being pressured to get replaced or be on another team

Aquafin likes this.
  8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Moore does have a habit of holding onto ball too long even when the protection was fine of course things inevitably breakdown in the pocket.

9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    And I'm sure good offense helped out the defense too. Not all of that difference, but some.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hard to lose the game when you consider what he's doing.

11. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Not sure what you mean Alen. Please explain.

12. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    When we talk about holding onto the ball for too long I think we have to ask about the receivers along with what Moore is doing. Is he holding it because no one is open? Or is he just not processing his reads quick enough?

13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    To be fair, The Flash would get sacked behind that line.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Remember he can throw the ball away

DevilFin13 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  15. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    I thought he was always pretty good at extending the play. Many times I think he actually threw down the field where as Chad "Vick" Henne would have took off.

It still takes some craftiness to escape the "Miami QB Trap" that we call the pocket.

16. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i agree. but there didnt seem to be a ton of hot reads or viable outlets for him. He hung on to the ball a bit too long at times.

17. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    the best thing about your post is that there is a great chance that Philbin already knows this and is taking it into account. I can live with Moore not being the starter next year, but I can't remember a guy performing pretty well on balance and getting so little rep. I would wager that Fiedler got more rep in his early years when Moore is the superior player imo

KB21 likes this.
  18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The one fumble against Dallas was after an off line shotgun snap. He probably should have caught it, but it wasn't close to being an acceptable snap by Pouncey. As I recall it was high and to the left about helmet level.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Wasn't that 7.7 yards per attempt, rather than per completion?

20. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes. It should say 7.7 yards per attempt.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And that is one of the issues with him, he does hang onto the ball but he's trying to hit stuff down the field at times, at other times Marc "joe" Colombo was gettng him wacked, so was Carey for awhile so was Incognito who imo, broke his thumb and was just as effective afterwards.

Big Jake was not his normal stone wall either.

However, keep in mind Moore did this in a sort of Coryell offense, lots of down the field stuff, lots of running the ball, Philbin is from a style that will put the ball in the air 40-50 times per gm, and I'm not sure Moore will be the Qb to do that for us, his pass placement just does not support that many attempts as a means of driving the offense.

22. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    face it Matt Moore is not going to be our savior he is a #2 qb thatcan win regular season games but playoff games I just dont see it.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Semi serious question, how would Dolfans know what such a Qb looks like?

We have no real frame of reference, just Penny slicing up Defenses in 08, and keep in mind at that point, Penny had over 80 starts or so, Moore has what..28 now? And in them he has shown more of a proclivity for what we saw last yr compared to his bad 2010 campaign.

To me, that alone makes him interesting, he typically plays like a top 15 Qb in the NFL and not a college prospect so to speak.

24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Charlie Whitehurst and Mark Sanchez have won playoff games.

25. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    True. But that probably isn't as easy said as done, especially within the pocket.

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Matt moore played well enough to win that game, romo played out of his stinkin mind, our defense could not stop that dude from making literally miraculous individual plays..Pissed me off so bad, its why we need to improve on our defense.

maynard likes this.
  27. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    These numbers bear out that Moore is a middle of the pack NFL starter. Although I hear you all when you say that we can't go deep into the playoffs with a middle of the pack starter, the fact remains that he's a bona fide starter and is better than half the starting quarterbacks in the league. That is not bad for a guy we picked up for peanuts. Stands to reason also that a middle of the pack starter is a top dog backup. A top of the line backup quarterback can save a season from going into the tank when the starter is out a few games.

Pay the man and keep him. He could be an Earl Morrall for us. And if he was the easiest QB in the league to sack, just look to the right of Pouncey for your explanation.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is, has Moore hit his ceiling?

Some folks think so, I don't think that is the case as arm courage+results=success usually in the NFL.

But is he a 35 Td guy? Or more like a good counter puncher type with 20 Td seasons but never much more then that for his team? You can win with that Qb, but the rest of the team has to be loaded with talent.

29. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    First post! I think he's clearly a mediocre QB that will show flashes of brilliance. We need to go in a different direction for a starter.