1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition for Reinstatement of the PoFo

Discussion in 'Announcements and Such' started by The_Dark_Knight, Aug 31, 2016.

Should the MODS Reinstate the Political Forum?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2016.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

58.3%
  3. Not now, maybe later

8.3%
  1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I'm sincerely asking all to join me in asking the MODS to reinstate the now defunct Political Forum. I can understand the reasoning for the PoFo to be shut down but if they our PoFo was getting out of control?

Before I discovered "ThePhins", I frequented "Finheaven". I'm sure there are quite a few here who remember that site. I enjoyed the discussions there until the overall atmosphere in their PoFo became so brutal, so belittling, so insulting that I had to stop frequenting that site. THANK GOD for "ThePhins"

Good people, good discussions, occasionally would get a little heated but I felt that there were those of us that tried to keep everyone in line. Well when the MODS here shut down the PoFo here, I tried returning to the PoFo at "Finheaven" Epic mistake!

I don't want to go to another website. I like "ThePhins" and I like the people here, even those who drive me nuts at times.

So one and all, I'm asking...whether you frequented the PoFo or not to say "Yes" and urge the MODS to reconsider their closing of the PoFo.

Thanks guys.

gunn34 likes this.
  2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I support your petition even if I voted "no". I would like to know how many out there really want it back and at what cost?

One thing you should note, however, there was not a single MOD, to my knowledge, who had not thrown their hands up in frustration and refused to work the forum. It was such a vitriolic hole. If you vote "yes" please consider going on record here as a possible MOD for the forum, recognizing in that forum if you MOD, it is unlikely you should also post. Just saying.

3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I don't like having bad blood between me and my fella Fin brothers, and politics leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth.

Boik14 likes this.
  4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    But then again I could always ban myself from that forum, done it before.

5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Probably not going to happen. Mods were sick of it an none of them wanted to work it. Can't blame em.

Boik14 likes this.
  6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Pofo was not productive and took people away from football discussion. Hurt the site far more than it helped it IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Pauly, Boik14 and Ronnie Bass like this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I've been itching to call FinD a commie, but I no longer have reason to or context.

Rocky Raccoon, McLovin and Fin D like this.
  8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    What Stringer, Ronnie and Van said. Not happening.

9. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And to be fair this deserves an actual response....

I understand your position TDK and I support people who care enough about politics to want to post about it. But the truth of the matter is we asked plenty of deserving candidates who frequent pofo if they wanted to mod that forum. No one really wants it. I won't do it. I have neither the time or patience. I also come here to talk sports, specifically dolphins football. I don't want to care about politics when I'm here. Nothing changes talking politics here. People are set in their ways and literally that forum is an infraction against TOS...as in you could literally find infractions with at least 1/3rd of the posts, many by good posters who have rarely had a problem outside of pofo.

That forum is divisive. It changes the way members speak with each other, the way they interact, and in a lot of ways it is clique-forming. It is toxic for the board. I've had posters tell me they didn't like conservatives so they had little use for my opinion and I felt the same way about liberals and if it wasn't a poster I respected I honestly wouldn't care that much but I consider that poster a friend. These are not the types of discussions we should be having with each other when many of us have been posting together for 10+ years. And this election is a lightning rod for controversy.

Truth be told, this has been a long time coming. I've felt that way for a long time.

Zippy, Ronnie Bass and Ohiophinphan like this.
  10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Brainstorming ,we would consider a modified forum where we could discuss current news and world events without getting into the heavy divisive political discussions .

Philosophy and commentary rather than party politics .
    In fact where Trump or Clinton ,republican and democrat names would be in our censored words lists.

But I suspect it too would be tough to moderate .

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't buy the "it's hurting non-POFO forums" argument- has there been any point where a contentious POFO-type forum has not existed in this communities history? Finheaven had(and has) one before the Great Schism, and as far as I can remember it's always been there since this site started up. Not only that, but every other Sports forum I can think of has a version of POFO- Gang Green, Buffalo Range, Pats Fans, etc. and so on. It is as regular a feature as any other aspect of a sports forum.

I understand that there are volunteer moderators that don't want to deal with it, but I would also like to note that there is likely a business element here that should be considered. I'm not suggesting I'm going to purposefully boycott the website, but there isn't a hell of a lot of reason to re-subscribe or bother logging in during the doldrums here for me other than POFO. On the other hand, I'd personally be happy to pay or donate for moderation to get POFO back.

LI phinfan likes this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I have a crazy proposal......

Reinstate it and let me moderate it. Now I know that sounds insane considering I was banned from it, but I submit, I clearly didn't make the place bad as it was shut down a full year after I was banned.

Here's the pros:

- I'm on a lot.
    - I'm crazy enough to do it.
    - I'm actually very fair as I'll freely admit when I'm wrong and have.
    - I'm already disliked, so if I do a poor job, it can be shut down and people will dislike me just as much.
    - You have nothing to lose.

Cons:
    - I could do a bad job. But again, if I did, so what? Just shut it down again.

I'm dead serious btw.

13. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Why not? I mean, the Joker once got to run Arkham Asylum.

SICK, Bpk and Fin D like this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nah, maybe more Two-Face.

I know their first reaction is going to laugh like its the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard, but they really should consider it.

15. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Hey, Trump got this far, right?

Bpk and Fin D like this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    See, I wouldn't ban you for that, but I might come to your house and take a dump on your couch.

I mean how dare you.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Finheaven did it with their relgious forum

18. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Joke's on you, there's already plenty of poop on my couch.

Rocky Raccoon, Bpk and McLovin like this.
  19. Ohiophinphan

This exchange is hardly a solid advertisement for sound, rational discussion! :tantrum::tongue2:

20. FasanoPaisano

FasanoPaisano Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Near People's Pizza
    I, for at least one, am entertained

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I tried to suggest something along those lines yesterday, and as I was typing my post, my computer crashed. Bad omen? :lol:

CrunchTime likes this.
  22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The fact is that you wouldn't necessarily know or realize that the level of discourse amongst members has gotten worse over the years and it is in part because of POFO. There were most definitely things that spilled in to other forums. With this election being what it is, doesn't help. In the few weeks that part of the forum has been off the number of infractions issued can be counted on one hand. It's not just the infractions though....even the number of reported posts complaining about other members are way down.

It's been a long time coming as I've said and under no condition would I support it. That forum may drive a few clicks...it is not worth the massive headache.

Ronnie Bass and Ohiophinphan like this.
  23. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Relax...

Ill moderate it.

I think all you yahoo's are dummies for supporting either candidate so I would have no bias. :up:

#maketheforumsgreatagain

Bpk likes this.
  24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I voted yes to reinstate it. I went there infrequently, but like all the other forums, we have different views on even our own team. We just need to understand people have different views and leave attacking their views alone and just support yours.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  25. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    not a regular poster in the POFO, even though I do visit it. My recommendation is to keep it closed until after the election. Will be a lot easier to discuss after the fact.

Bpk likes this.
  26. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I liked to visit and posted there at times. It did however generally devolve into the same arguments being posted with slightly different names. A 'forum' probably isn't the place for debate. How many opinions were changed by the debate? Zero I'd guess. So it's just repetitive.

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    are you kidding? It's a crime that POFO hasn't been open for this election.

Bumrush, Two Tacos and Fin D like this.
  28. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    How about the mods keep a single off topic post, that is locked at the top titled, Election 2016? We discuss the election, Trump, Hillary and if things work out they re-open pofo.

29. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    It was just an excuse for a small group of posters to call everyone else racist... No thanks.

Fin-O and Boik14 like this.
  30. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Clearly, anyone voting for Trump IS a racist. Why are people so hesitant to call a spade a spade?

:escape:

31. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks for proving my point....

32. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It was a joke. Kinda :D

33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That forum needed to be closed YEARS ago.

34. Ohiophinphan

At the risk of sounding like one of the candidates, I would not moderate such a forum if you put a gun (licensed or unlicensed) to my head! :wink2:

35. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Hey guys. I think that we've all accepted at this point that the pofo isn't coming back to the board. So, my question to those of you who are interested in such things, does anyone else know of any good message boards who's purpose is that kind of discussion? Not a Facebook group or a Reddit thread, or somewhere else where people make comments on an article, but a real message board. I honestly miss both the ability to learn from people who are more knowledgable than myself (such as in the Bernie Sanders thread that we had) and to even be able to talk with other progressives about politics and such, as I don't live in an area where I know any.

Two Tacos likes this.
  36. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I don't know of any myself, but I wish I had. It would have been nice to discuss with fellow Floridians other down ballot issues prior to the election but alas, the powers that be...well, you know.

If anyone does find another forum (other than Finheaven....such RUDE folks there), please let me know.