Pete Prisco NFL Power Rankings

34 replies

AbideN703AbideN703New MemberOP
Sep 7, 2010, 11:09 AM

Dolphins 15 Trends -
They are better than a year ago, but how much better? Chad Henne didn't wow people in the preseason. He has to be better if the Dolphins are to make the playoffs and validate the Tuna making all that money.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13897416/nfl-power-rankings-start-of-a-silverblack-revival/rss

DolfanJakeDolfanJakeNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:12 AM

"AbideN703 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13897416/nfl-power-rankings-start-of-a-silverblack-revival/rss

I agree completely. This is a make or break year. I can see Ross blowing this regime out after this season, unless they have already coddled Ross by telling him they need more time and he bought it. The Tuna can be persuasive like that.

The home of The English Rugby Club - http://www.rfu.com/

gunn34gunn34New Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:14 AM

It's interesting to see what all the others think.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:23 AM

may the offensive line get right & run Ricky run
so we can open that passing game up for Henne

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

FIFinsanityNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:24 AM

"DolfanJake wrote:

I agree completely. This is a make or break year. I can see Ross blowing this regime out after this season, unless they have already coddled Ross by telling him they need more time and he bought it. The Tuna can be persuasive like that.

I do believe Ross cares about winning but I think he focusing more attention on Staduim rebuilding (ie Waterpark , future superbowls) then putting pressure on Bill to win Now.

DolfanTomDolfanTomNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:28 AM

Man, I hope the Bills really are as bad as Prisco thinks!!

For us, lots of questions, but if they are answered affirmatively, we could go 12-4. If it goes the other way, we could be 7-9 again. Let's get it started, I can't wait to find out which way it goes!

Please join us for the #BillsMafiaTakeover, 9/14 in Buffalo!!!! https://www.facebook.com/events/433589416780504/

Follow me @Hotstover

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:40 AM

never underestimate the adversary
better to assume that we are the under-dogs in this game
the Bills will not simply lose a game in Buffalo
we're going to have to win it & decisively

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

FIFinFan316New Member
Sep 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

"Finsanity wrote:

I do believe Ross cares about winning but I think he focusing more attention on Staduim rebuilding (ie Waterpark , future superbowls) then putting pressure on Bill to win Now.


I doubt it. He is all about the "Fan Experience". The best thing for the fan experience is to win games. Lose 8 or 9 games again this year, and next year, he might be looking at some blackouts. Hes a smart guy and he knows this.

DolfanTomDolfanTomNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 12:09 PM

"FinFan316 wrote:

I doubt it. He is all about the "Fan Experience". The best thing for the fan experience is to win games. Lose 8 or 9 games again this year, and next year, he might be looking at some blackouts. Hes a smart guy and he knows this.

Ross cares about winning just as much as the next owner, but I think he wants to maximize fandom and the fan experience as much as possible, no matter what the record, 1-15 or 17-0. He didn't become a billionaire by making bad decisions.

Please join us for the #BillsMafiaTakeover, 9/14 in Buffalo!!!! https://www.facebook.com/events/433589416780504/

Follow me @Hotstover

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Sep 7, 2010, 12:16 PM

I agree with most of his rankings... personally, I'm not sold on the Cowboys this season. I just think Tony Romo is a bit overrated. I don't think he's terrible, but I think he's probably closer to 'average' than he is to 'great'.

I also think Prisco has the Falcons rated too high. However, there are always teams that 'make the jump' from one season to the next, and the Falcons could certainly be one of those teams. I'm just not sold that they are. I'd swap them and Baltimore on his ranking list.

The Ravens are my Superbowl pick this year.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 12:32 PM

id agree with where we are. makes sense.

Sep 7, 2010, 12:35 PM

Prisco is a dumbass.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
Sep 7, 2010, 12:42 PM

i agree. If we're rated anything less than #1, the writer is a flaming idiot

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

MOmommabillyNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 12:45 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

may the offensive line get right & run Ricky run
so we can open that passing game up for Henne


You got it backwards Amigo. We do not have Adrian Peterson, or Chris Brown or Turner as RB. You can take your pick of any 5 offensive lineman in the NFL and put them on our Oline. Ricky and Ronne are not bruising type of runners by any means. Neither has the speed to outrun Defenders, on a regular basis, on the edges. Ricky and Ronnie are what they are. Good RBs that work well when there is not many people in the box. Then yes, they are fine but to get the people out of the box you need to have a good passing game, not great, but good.

Tell ya what, go back and watch this pre season games. If the receivers actually held onto the passes that WERE right in their hands, the Running game would have opened up a lot. If Henne did not under throw or over throw, HALF the ones he did and IF the receiver caught them, the Running game would have progressed even more.

Those that have concern over the receivers holding onto the ball and Henne not under or overthrowing receivers, is a legitimate concern. Maybe he needs more work to settle down, not sure there but I do know the wildcat has been figured out and thats why it was invented in the first place, a gimmick, keep the D guessing. Unless Henne and the receivers start to click, the running game is not going to carry this team or any other team in the NFL with the type of RB we have.

Every defense in modern football is set up to stop what first ? The run, ours included. There is no defense around anymore set up to stop the pass first, not even against Manning. Stop the run, make them throw the ball. I admit, with Manning he can kill you but with Henne ? Its safe to say, at this point in time, any team we play is going to stack the box and make us show we can throw the ball and catch the ball. When that happens on a regular basis ? Yes, we punch them in the mouth with a running game. Until it clicks, people are going to be moaning we stink, we suc, the Oline blows. When in fact, it really is on the shoulders of our QB and receivers to get the whole thing rolling.

Look at any team you want in games. If their QB is not a threat to the defense ? They surely are not going to be able to run the ball, no way.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

MOmommabillyNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 12:50 PM

Actually, Prisco is one of the more level headed, down to earth writers. Been reading his stuff for a long time. His predictions are not always correct, no ones are but when you read his stuff you realize after awhile the guy really does like football and really does get down to the brass tax so to speak.

I agree 100% with him, our season, our playoff run, our success, now is in the hands of Chad Henne. He will make us or break us. The Defense ? well, like everyone, I am praying Nolan knows his doo doo.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 12:56 PM

I completely & respectfully disagree with what you posted
it begins in the trenches, then when you get the push, you can run the ball which, in turn, opens the passing game
Ricky & Ronnie in tandem are a force to be reckoned with behind a strong offensive line
& that is the key to the offense

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

MOmommabillyNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 01:04 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

the Ravens look very solid


Sure they do, Flacco completes a lot of passes. Go down the list, Vikes look solid, Farve completed a lot of passes, Gore rips it up, when their passing game is working. Best evidence of my point is Steven Jackson.

One of the best RBs in the NFL, gets his yardage but rarely gets in the endzone and the last three years one of the lowest scoring, most loss teams in the NFL. Why, Bulger was horrible and when he threw it good, his receivers dropped the ball. He does not throw it good to often though.

Watch this year, with a decent QB, Bradford, watch Jackson run around like a loose horse. I will wager you a hot dog and a pop the theory I put up is sound 23. You take Flacco out of the equation in Balt ? Rice is not going anywhere too soon or too quick.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

MOmommabillyNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 01:05 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

the Ravens look very solid


Baltimores receivers actually hold onto the ball too. As of yet, our deep passing threat is void of being a deep passing threat. Flacoo can unleash it on target and often. No Manning but, good enough to keep the Safetys and Corners working hard for aliving.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

MOmommabillyNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 01:09 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

I completely & respectfully disagree with what you posted
it begins in the trenches, then when you get the push, you can run the ball which, in turn, opens the passing game
Ricky & Ronnie in tandem are a force to be reckoned with behind a strong offensive line
& that is the key to the offense



We will agree to disagree then. Have all you want in the trenches but when you play a 3 -4 defense with 4 lbers and even a corner up, there is more people on D then the offense has people to block them. Take Manning out of Indianopolis, then, tell me what that team would look like.
Take Farve out of Minn. last year, tell me what that team would do or what Peterson would have done. Crap, take Brady out of NE, tell me how their running game would work. Like I said, agree to disagree and a hot dog and pop is on the line.:up: As you can see, I am a high roller:lol:\
By the way, I am not knocking our Oline, I like it, take a little time to getl better but as time goes on, its only going to get better.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 7, 2010, 01:21 PM

"DolfanJake wrote:

I agree completely. This is a make or break year. I can see Ross blowing this regime out after this season, unless they have already coddled Ross by telling him they need more time and he bought it. The Tuna can be persuasive like that.

disagreed...you really think you can find better than who is in control of our franchise....better check yourself and realize what you got.

Legitimate question?..how many years do you give a new franchies's front office to rebuild a team coming off 1 and 15 and completely void of talent".

well, We've played 2 full season's since then and won 18 games doing so.

They should have 4 season's before you talk with the kind of BS that's in this post.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Sep 7, 2010, 01:21 PM

"mommabilly wrote:

Look at any team you want in games. If their QB is not a threat to the defense ? They surely are not going to be able to run the ball, no way.

Didn't we have the #4 Running game in the NFL last year with below-average QB play?

testing

MOmommabillyNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 01:41 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

Didn't we have the #4 Running game in the NFL last year with below-average QB play?

Correct, and it translated into 7 wins and 9 losses. Guess we could have the number 4 ranked running game for the next 5 years. No problem but how much of a comfort will that be going 7 and 9 every year ?

The argument, if you want to use the term argument, the Pass opens up the running game vs the Run opens up the passing game, has been going on for a long time. There will always be people making their point on both sides. The NFL put another nail in the coffin for Offensive lineman this year by putting the Umpire in the left side of the backfield.

Now you have Two officials in the backfield watching the offense. The one on the left side is not a killer but it certainly has upped the amount of holding calls this pre season, moreso then I have seen in recent years. the LT and LG spots are critical in pass protection and know what ? They all hold on occasion. The difference being now is the Umpire does not have to worry about getting run into, getting run over or getting rolled up. He can now pay his full undivided attention to the entire left side of the offensive lines. The little bit of time the starters played this year and I believe last count was Long had three or 4 holding calls on him. Its not only going to hurt us, its going to hurt all offenses, especially those that love the no huddle offense. Remember, the umpire also spots the ball then has to get back into position waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the backfield.

He is only in his regular position with 2 mintues left in the half or in the fourth quarter. The is also gives a huge advantage to the D line. Their holding calls have gone down, Why ? because now the umpire is in front of them and the Oline is blocking the view. Seen on more then half dozen occasions where a D lineman held an Olineman that was going to the second level or pulling. Advantage, defense. Sorry to ramble on, most of this had nothing to do with the original thought.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

AbideN703AbideN703New Member
Sep 7, 2010, 02:02 PM

"mor911 wrote:

i agree. If we're rated anything less than #1, the writer is a flaming idiot

Well, yeah.

GIgioknowsNew Member
Sep 7, 2010, 02:19 PM

Prisco

PP did a better job this time around.

OzzyOzzyLuxury Box
Sep 7, 2010, 03:07 PM

"Finsanity wrote:

I do believe Ross cares about winning but I think he focusing more attention on Staduim rebuilding (ie Waterpark , future superbowls) then putting pressure on Bill to win Now.

Would you rather he focus on football operations or try to get a few more fans to want to come to games?

I'll choose he stick to what he is doing and let the football guys run things with an open check book like he's done.

http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif