Pet Health Insurance
109 replies
So I got an ultimatum the other day because all of my friends apparently cant keep their man-junk in their pants. Freaking babies popping out left and right so far in the 13 and my boitch is catching the warm and fuzzies for another kid!! Anyway the ole lady was like either another kid or a dog because my daughter who is 9 keeps talking about both....She wants a sibling and a puppy, we cant have both.
Being the fiscal conservative I am without hesitation I am buying a dog, cant afford another child. As well a buddy of mine on the job has a dog who had 2 surgeries to the tune of 4500 combined plus pills and visits.....I mean it adds up......
Does anybody know who sells it, if they sell it to begin with? Does anybody have it and if they could share their experience would be greatly appreciated....:up:
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
So I got an ultimatum the other day because all of my friends apparently cant keep their man-junk in their pants. Freaking babies popping out left and right so far in the 13 and my boitch is catching the warm and fuzzies for another kid!! Anyway the ole lady was like either another kid or a dog because my daughter who is 9 keeps talking about both....She wants a sibling and a puppy, we cant have both.
Being the fiscal conservative I am without hesitation I am buying a dog, cant afford another child. As well a buddy of mine on the job has a dog who had 2 surgeries to the tune of 4500 combined plus pills and visits.....I mean it adds up......
Does anybody know who sells it, if they sell it to begin with? Does anybody have it and if they could share their experience would be greatly appreciated....:up:
Before you worry about that, do not get a purebred anything. ALL purebreds, regardless of the breed, are more likely to have serious and expensive medical issues (its the lack of diversity in their genes. Its the same reason why products of incest have problems). Rescue a mutt. Its cheaper, they're generally healthier and I promise you they're more appreciative of being in a good home. If you do go the purebred route (because you're a big fat stupid Republican, and those guys never do the right thing) please contact a breed specific rescue.
Also ASPCA offers pet insurance: http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
"finyank13 wrote:
So I got an ultimatum the other day because all of my friends apparently cant keep their man-junk in their pants. Freaking babies popping out left and right so far in the 13 and my boitch is catching the warm and fuzzies for another kid!! Anyway the ole lady was like either another kid or a dog because my daughter who is 9 keeps talking about both....She wants a sibling and a puppy, we cant have both.
Being the fiscal conservative I am without hesitation I am buying a dog, cant afford another child. As well a buddy of mine on the job has a dog who had 2 surgeries to the tune of 4500 combined plus pills and visits.....I mean it adds up......
Does anybody know who sells it, if they sell it to begin with? Does anybody have it and if they could share their experience would be greatly appreciated....:up:
First of all do not buy your dog from a puppy store. Get him/her from a breeder.
Or you can adopt a puppy.
I get my dog insurance through Banfield, they have two types of insurance. One is a basic plan, and the other covers more expensive procedures(if your dog needs to go under the knife for something)
Anyway I found some pet insurance sites
http://www.petinsurance.com/
http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
http://www.24petwatch.com

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
There is no pet health insurance similar to human health insurance. You can get a couple hundred dollar pet policy, but ur still gonna pay out the nose for everything. 70-80% of medical expenses.
You're best off finding a great vet, who offers an in house insurance policy. That's what I do. I pay a small premium, and get a discount on everything. Make sure its an outfit capable of most surgeries.
"Sethdaddy8 wrote:
There is no pet health insurance similar to human health insurance. You can get a couple hundred dollar pet policy, but ur still gonna pay out the nose for everything. 70-80% of medical expenses.
You're best off finding a great vet, who offers an in house insurance policy. That's what I do. I pay a small premium, and get a discount on everything. Make sure its an outfit capable of most surgeries.
the latter statement is dead on and the way to go.
However, if you're getting a new puppy, it's pretty silly and a waste of money IMO to get preemptive pet insurance. It's like getting life insurance on your baby (see stupid Gerber baby plan).
If you start seeing problems with the puppy, then you can look into the vet-supplied health insurance. I've owned 15 dogs and never had insurance. Having said that, two of my 3 current dogs are now 12+ years old, so I may look into getting them insurance.
and, I'd follow up with, who's going to take care of the dog? If you or your ole lady aren't dedicated to raising a dog, then don't buy one. Dog's can be a lot of work and many parents who buy their kids a puppy to make them happy end up ignoring the dogs to an extent where it's just plain wrong. I'll stop my rant there.
testing
"Fin D wrote:
Before you worry about that, do not get a purebred anything. ALL purebreds, regardless of the breed, are more likely to have serious and expensive medical issues (its the lack of diversity in their genes. Its the same reason why products of incest have problems). Rescue a mutt. Its cheaper, they're generally healthier and I promise you they're more appreciative of being in a good home. If you do go the purebred route (because you're a big fat stupid Republican, and those guys never do the right thing) please contact a breed specific rescue.
Also ASPCA offers pet insurance: http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
yup I just got off the phone with them......
-100 deductible
-they cover 90% after that hundred
-29 bucks a month
-up to 3000 per incident with unlimited incidents a year
-covers "accidents" which are broken bones, burns, swallowed object, poison ingestion, etc
-covers "illness" which are X-Rays, prescriptions, labs, surgeries, and hospitalizations...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Fin D wrote:
Before you worry about that, do not get a purebred anything. ALL purebreds, regardless of the breed, are more likely to have serious and expensive medical issues (its the lack of diversity in their genes. Its the same reason why products of incest have problems). Rescue a mutt. Its cheaper, they're generally healthier and I promise you they're more appreciative of being in a good home. If you do go the purebred route (because you're a big fat stupid Republican, and those guys never do the right thing) please contact a breed specific rescue.
Also ASPCA offers pet insurance: http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
So, Dr. FinD. Where did you get your vet schooling at?
Now, let's hear from a real VET:
There’s an unspoken assumption amid the mutt-loving set that mixed breeds are inherently healthier than purebreds.
Among breeders, however, the reverse is often claimed. After all that genetic disease and temperament testing, they argue, there’s no way a mix from the pound can best a dog with meticulous breeding.
So what’s the truth?
Given that the mutt vs. purebred thing hasn’t been rigorously studied yet, there’s no way I can offer you anything definitive.
---By Dr. Patty Khuly
We deal with genetic disease every day in our practice in pure-bred, cross-bred, and mixed-breed dogs and cats. There is a general misconception that mixed-breed dogs and cats are inherently free of genetic disease. This may be true for the rare breed-related disorders; but the common genetic diseases that are seen across all breeds are seen with the same frequency in mixed-breed dogs and cats.
The most common hereditary diseases occur across all pure-bred, mixed breed, and designer bred dogs. These include cancer, eye disease, epilepsy, hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, heart disease, autoimmune disease, allergies, patellar luxation, and elbow dysplasia. Labradoodles are being diagnosed with hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and inherited Addison’s disease; all recognized disorders in both parent breeds.
Get the type of dog you want. I personally own both purebreeds and rescues. Both are great. The biggest factor in their health and well being is how they were and are cared for. And the insurance, IMO, is worth the cost.
I use pet plan for my dogs health insurance. It's about $400 a year but it insures you against everything whether its an inherent disease amongst that breed (I.e. hip issues) or simply a really bad case of diarrhea as my dog had last year. There's a $100 deductible for most stuff. They don't cover for routine visits but they do cover everything that's not routine.
As for what you should get, get what you want. I went to the shelter wanting an English Bulldog or Golden Retriever and walked out with the awesomest little poodle bijon. Every other dog was barking up a storm an the dog I chose was chillin in his cage, paws crosses looking boss. First few months were kinda rough because he had been in a puppy mill before the shelter and he had just been neutered, which if you don't know takes away a lot of their aggressiveness. Since the 6 month or so mark he doesn't so much as have accidents in house.
"Justright wrote:
So, Dr. FinD. Where did you get your vet schooling at?
Now, let's hear from a real VET:
There’s an unspoken assumption amid the mutt-loving set that mixed breeds are inherently healthier than purebreds.
Among breeders, however, the reverse is often claimed. After all that genetic disease and temperament testing, they argue, there’s no way a mix from the pound can best a dog with meticulous breeding.
So what’s the truth?
Given that the mutt vs. purebred thing hasn’t been rigorously studied yet, there’s no way I can offer you anything definitive.
---By Dr. Patty KhulyWe deal with genetic disease every day in our practice in pure-bred, cross-bred, and mixed-breed dogs and cats. There is a general misconception that mixed-breed dogs and cats are inherently free of genetic disease. This may be true for the rare breed-related disorders; but the common genetic diseases that are seen across all breeds are seen with the same frequency in mixed-breed dogs and cats.
The most common hereditary diseases occur across all pure-bred, mixed breed, and designer bred dogs. These include cancer, eye disease, epilepsy, hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, heart disease, autoimmune disease, allergies, patellar luxation, and elbow dysplasia. Labradoodles are being diagnosed with hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and inherited Addison’s disease; all recognized disorders in both parent breeds.Get the type of dog you want. I personally own both purebreeds and rescues. Both are great. The biggest factor in their health and well being is how they were and are cared for. And the insurance, IMO, is worth the cost.
The NAIA (which is where the info comes from) is an organization paid for by breeders and pet stores.
I promise you, mixed breeds are healthier as a whole than purebreds. Genetic diversification is the key to healthy breeds. You cannot have purebreds without a history of inbreeding. Its just not possible.
The great pet breed conspiracy. We've got everything here!
When I got married, two pure-bred Sphynx cats were a part of the deal. Make fun of me
I think heart issues can be common with them. Other than that they are cooler than all of you
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD
"maynard wrote:
The great pet breed conspiracy. We've got everything here!
When I got married, two pure-bred Sphynx cats were a part of the deal. Make fun of me
I think heart issues can be common with them. Other than that they are cooler than all of you
I'm just saying, that if I linked an article about how fast food is no more bad for you than non-fast food, and the article was from an organization that was formed by McDonalds, Burger King & Wendy's, would you trust it?
This is simply science...lack of genetic diversification weakens the gene pool. Its not to say mutts are always in better health, it just means you increase your odds that health issues won't crop up later.
Not to mention, I doubt many people even know how to spot a reputable breeder anyway.
"Justright wrote:
You promise? Oh...well...case closed! lol The Dr I quoted doesn't work for the NAIA. Once again, you're inability to look past the bridge of your nose causes you to be wrong. And why is evertything a conspiracy theory to you? And you're still wrong. Every dog has genetics that will play a large part in determining the individuals health and simply generalizing that mutts are healthier than purebreds just isn't true.
There are no well-published, conclusive studies indicating that purebreds are less healthy than mixed breeds. Specific genetic disorders are known in certain breeds, and a good breeder will monitor such problems with the hope of eliminating them. There are no organizational records of disorders for mixed breeds and since many genetic disorders occur in multiple breeds, they are common in mixed breeds. There is a study on Hip Dysplasia out there (past the tip of your nose) and this study revealed no statistical difference in the prevalence of the disease between purebred and mixed breed dogs. A healthy mutt is as healthy as the most responsibly bred purebred and an unhealthy mutt will require the same veterinary care as a purebred exhibiting hereditary illness.
Here you go, Chief.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/puppycenter/adoption/evr_dg_mixed_or_purebred_puppy_which_is_better#.Ubdw4et3aMU
A mixed-breed puppy often has the advantage of having a much lower chance of being born with inherited congenital diseases, since the mating process naturally leaves out the defective genes. This is a general truism.
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/purebred_vs_mixed_breed.html
Mixed breeds, on the other hand, offer several advantages that prospective pet owners may fail to consider. For example, when you adopt a mixed breed, you get the benefit of two or more different breeds in one animal. You also get a pet who is less prone to genetic defects common to certain purebred dogs and cats.
By all means tell me why PetMD and the effing Humane Society know less about this than your sorry ass?
Im not arguing for or against pure breeds... I for one have a "Silver" lab and get yelled at by both sides of the isle, but it's one of the smartest and best lookin puppies I've had.
But I had to laugh at this one....
For example, when you adopt a mixed breed, you get the benefit of two or more different breeds in one animal.
The most optimistic viewpoint I've seen lmao Never in my life would I consider a Minpin and Jack Russel (random) a benefit.
We're all here because we're all not there.
"finyank13 wrote:
So I got an ultimatum the other day because all of my friends apparently cant keep their man-junk in their pants. Freaking babies popping out left and right so far in the 13 and my boitch is catching the warm and fuzzies for another kid!! Anyway the ole lady was like either another kid or a dog because my daughter who is 9 keeps talking about both....She wants a sibling and a puppy, we cant have both.
Being the fiscal conservative I am without hesitation I am buying a dog, cant afford another child. As well a buddy of mine on the job has a dog who had 2 surgeries to the tune of 4500 combined plus pills and visits.....I mean it adds up......
Does anybody know who sells it, if they sell it to begin with? Does anybody have it and if they could share their experience would be greatly appreciated....:up:
My company offers it. DM me
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"305 wrote:
Im not arguing for or against pure breeds... I for one have a "Silver" lab and get yelled at by both sides of the isle, but it's one of the smartest and best lookin puppies I've had.
But I had to laugh at this one....
The most optimistic viewpoint I've seen lmao Never in my life would I consider a Minpin and Jack Russel (random) a benefit.
Optimistic? I know you're just shooting the ****, but how do you think the different breeds were created?
"Fin D wrote:
Optimistic? I know you're just shooting the ****, but how do you think the different breeds were created?
Im saying that looking at it saying youre going to have the positive features of multiple breeds and none of the negative features of either breed is pretty BS argument. There's a trade off for everything.
And to answer your question.... aliens.
Edit: ... taking the argument from how it was given.... generalizing everything as pure bred vs mut.
We're all here because we're all not there.
"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:
First of all do not buy your dog from a puppy store. Get him/her from a breeder.
Or you can adopt a puppy.I get my dog insurance through Banfield, they have two types of insurance. One is a basic plan, and the other covers more expensive procedures(if your dog needs to go under the knife for something)
Anyway I found some pet insurance sites
http://www.petinsurance.com/
http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
http://www.24petwatch.com
I hate when people say that. So the dog should die because it was born in a puppy mill? That is actually sick. Puppy mills SHOULD be shut down but that is no reason to make already born puppies be put down because they cant find a home.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"305 wrote:
Im saying that looking at it saying youre going to have the positive features of multiple breeds and none of the negative features of either breed is pretty BS argument. There's a trade off for everything.
And to answer your question.... aliens.
Edit: ... taking the argument from how it was given.... generalizing everything as pure bred vs mut.
You're right that's how it was given. My bad.
"Alex44 wrote:
I hate when people say that. So the dog should die because it was born in a puppy mill? That is actually sick. Puppy mills SHOULD be shut down but that is no reason to make already born puppies be put down because they cant find a home.
So, your solution is to keep buying dogs from them.....do you think that will close them down?
"Fin D wrote:
Here you go, Chief.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/puppycenter/adoption/evr_dg_mixed_or_purebred_puppy_which_is_better#.Ubdw4et3aMUhttp://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/purebred_vs_mixed_breed.html
By all means tell me why PetMD and the effing Humane Society know less about this than your sorry ass?
A mixed-breed puppy often has the advantage of having a much lower chance of being born with inherited congenital diseases, since the mating process naturally leaves out the defective genes. This is a general truism.
100% False
"Alex44 wrote:
I hate when people say that. So the dog should die because it was born in a puppy mill? That is actually sick. Puppy mills SHOULD be shut down but that is no reason to make already born puppies be put down because they cant find a home.
I've had enough rescue dogs to know that a huge portion of them will die either way, but buying one single puppy from a puppy mill increases demand. If people stopped buying them from the puppy mills, then demand plummets and the sleazebags who run the puppy mills will move onto the next easy money scam. (and FinD is correct, you can generalize that mutts, on average will live more often without the congenital genetic defects).
I have one purebred and 2 rescue mutts. My youngest dog - 6 year old Aussie/Border collie mix is screwed up in the head. They found her dying at a puppy mill in GA. It was the biggest puppy mill (>400 dogs) in GA history. The rescuers found a group of dogs on the next hill penned in, left to starve to death for the sole reason that they wouldn't reproduce. They did it because it was easy money.
testing
Personally I think pet insurance is a sham. No regulation like people health insurance. What that means is you pay a ton in premiums you're probably never going to recoup unless you get the illest dog ever and then when something does go wrong, the sham pet insurance companies are going to find reasons why it's not covered. I have a friend who has pet insurance and somehow they have still paid 10s of thousands of dollars on their dog from hell.
Just get a good vet and take good care of your dog. If you're worried about insurance for your pet set aside a chunk of change equivalent to a pet health insurance premium in an account somewhere. That way if you don't need it you've got yourself a nice little chunk for your daughters college! And if something happens that would break the bank before your savings account could total up to the cost of treatment, then probably the dog is too ill to live a good life anyway.
As far as the mutt vs. purebred, who cares which is healthier? Nothing will warm your heart more than giving a dog or puppy on death row a nice home. I personally had to get our dogs from a breeder because unfortunately a lot of shelters have gatekeepers on power trips deciding who can and cannot adopt a dog. We weren't allowed to adopt because we work. :pity: If you choose to adopt, lie on the application. Say someone is always home.
"Fin D wrote:
So, your solution is to keep buying dogs from them.....do you think that will close them down?
I think youre both right. Its not right that the dog should die anyway but I dont want to support a puppy mill. The answer is puppy mills should be shut down. Its cruel and the people who run them should be treated the way they treat their animals.
"MonstBlitz wrote:
Personally I think pet insurance is a sham. No regulation like people health insurance. What that means is you pay a ton in premiums you're probably never going to recoup unless you get the illest dog ever and then when something does go wrong, the sham pet insurance companies are going to find reasons why it's not covered. I have a friend who has pet insurance and somehow they have still paid 10s of thousands of dollars on their dog from hell.
Just get a good vet and take good care of your dog. If you're worried about insurance for your pet set aside a chunk of change equivalent to a pet health insurance premium in an account somewhere. That way if you don't need it you've got yourself a nice little chunk for your daughters college! And if something happens that would break the bank before your savings account could total up to the cost of treatment, then probably the dog is too ill to live a good life anyway.
As far as the mutt vs. purebred, who cares which is healthier? Nothing will warm your heart more than giving a dog or puppy on death row a nice home. I personally had to get our dogs from a breeder because unfortunately a lot of shelters have gatekeepers on power trips deciding who can and cannot adopt a dog. We weren't allowed to adopt because we work. :pity: If you choose to adopt, lie on the application. Say someone is always home.
It depends on what you feel the purpose of the pet insurance is. Unless you have the dog/animal from day 1 or extremely early then you have no idea what the dog has been thru. In my case I knew my dog had been through a neutering and a surgery for a removal of a swallowed object. I had no idea what happened in the puppy mill he was in prior beyond what the shelter I got him from told me so I figured best to insure him. So far Ive paid about 700 in insurance over 2 years and been paid out around 300. Thats to say 1 year I used it and had to file a claim so it paid off (basically broke even) and 1 year I didnt use it. But thats how insurance always works. When you have it and dont use it you wonder what youre paying for and when you have it and use it, youre happy you have it. It is what it is. Some of those surgeries if they do something like tear an acl or break a bone cost over a few thousand dollars so all it takes is one incident and youre in the hole for a crap load of money.
"Justright wrote:
A mixed-breed puppy often has the advantage of having a much lower chance of being born with inherited congenital diseases, since the mating process naturally leaves out the defective genes. This is a general truism.
100% False
Bring a fact or leave.