1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Percy Harvin set to visit Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Skeet84, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Great news for Gator fans! :up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  2. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Not sure what to make of this news

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Just covering our bases imo. Hes an explosive playmaker, nothing wrong in checking him out.
    I doubt we actually draft him, but it doesnt hurt to scope out the kind of talent that might be hanging around at 25.

New Era likes this.
  4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    well we dont have any run after the catch WRs, so he would be a good pick and would compete with Ted Ginn.

Although I cant help but think the Jags will grab him first.

5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Yeah I think he will be gone before we take him but like you said we have no WR's who can really run after the catch and take it to the house. Percy would add another speed deminson to the offense and stretch the field even more. Too bad our starting QB can't throw it deep

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    [mod] No need for that, please follow TOS[/mod]

7. NickyNapoleon

NickyNapoleon Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    And if we draft him we still wont have that guy. I personally am just not a fan of Harvin, I think he is a gimmick guy. His most explosive plays in college were coming out of the backfield. I look at Harvin the same way I do guys like Peter Warrick, and Reggie Bush. They were the human joystick in college but Im not sure they are going to be the most productive players at the next level. I think Harvin needed to run really well because hes not overly productive catching the ball. Its running the ball and the team doing some crazy things to get him the ball that made him dangerous.

8. NickyNapoleon

NickyNapoleon Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I have also seen a couple people that believe he is maxed out as far as his frame goes, so he cant add weight without losing speed.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    there is no way he goes 8th imo

texanphinatic likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If any player actually holds extra value to us because of Wildcat possibilities, IMO it would be Harvin.

11. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm confused by Harvin. Isn't he a Ted Ginn clone? Small and speedy and not really "known" for doing anything else (routes, hands) well.

Someone please play devil's advocate and explain why we would draft this guy. I'm genuinely curious at to what he brings to the table that we don't already have in Ginn.

ps-My comment in post 6 wasn't that bad. I just vigorously defended Chad Pennington's ability to connect on the long ball.

12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Harvin and Ted Ginn have around the same speed, But after that they are night and day. Percy Harvin isn't afraid of contact like Ginn and will break tackles. He is more quick and agile than Ginn, But Ginn may have him in straight line speed. While they have similar body's if you look on paper.... Ginn 5'11 180 Harvin 5'11 195 they are totally different. Harvin is alot stronger. Harvin is going to make alot more people miss than Ginn.
    Harvin would be great cause he can do alot more run after the catch than any WR on our team.

Sorry but there is no denying that Pennington does not have the arm strength needed to throw deep. That takes away alot from Ted Ginn's ability to stretch the field. Harvin could give us a guy to take some shorter routes to the house.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  13. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    he'd be a dynamic guy to have if he makes it to #25.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm a Gator fan but I wouldn't be in favor of drafting Harvin at #25. I think there are too many questions regarding how he would adapt to the pro game for me to feel comfortable with the level of risk.

That being said he's really not going to be a similar player to Ginn. Harvin's biggest asset is his first step. It could arguably be the best in football. He also is much thicker than Ginn and will be better at breaking tackles.

15. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    This rumor that Ginn is afraid of contact is BS.

Stitches likes this.
  16. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    As is the rumor that Pennington can't throw deep.

Exhibit A: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c5f377

Ball travelled 55 yards in the air and hit Ginn in stride. You see, either Pennington can throw deep or he cannot. The above is proof that he can. So Skeet, please don't be so cavalier when you say, "there is no denying that Pennington does not have the arm strength needed to throw deep."

I deny it and I gave you proof. Skeet, Skeet!!!

17. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

Nov 9, 2008
    Stitches likes this.
  18. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    Harvin was my favorite player in college, but he will not make it to 25. If he did, I dont think we would actually pick him. If we did I would be thrilled because I like him, but if we were to draft a WR, Nicks would be in our best interest.

19. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

That ball hung in the air and Pennington had no one around him so he could get everything perfect. He did not need to use arm strength to make that pass. Your also taking 1 pass out of how many did he under throw? The guy is an NFL QB, so he has some arm stregth but its no where close to a strong arm.

I am one of Ted Ginn's biggest fans, But on a 3rd down when you need one more yard you run out of bounds? There were more cases where he just went out of bounds rather than fight for extra yardage.

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    List them then.

21. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sorry i dont remember the exact times in games. I would have to go back and watch every game ( I would be more than happy to do if I had them). Like I said I am a huge Ted Ginn but I am sure he will grow to improve.

22. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. You said, "Pennington does not have the arm strength to throw deep".
    2. I linked to a clip of him throwing deep.
    3. You responded by making all kinds of rationalizations.
    4. If "he did not need to use arm strength to make that pass", please tell me what part of his body "made that pass". I'm very curious.
    5. Pennington can throw deep. I'm right. You're wrong. :tongue2:

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I disagree with both of you and agree with both of you....

It is obvious that Penny's deep ball is not very good really there is no one on planet earth who will mistake him for a strong arm Qb.

Ginn had one play where he ran out of bounds and it was a mental error, his toughness being questioned is laughable considering he came off a semi serious ankle injury to the NFL and hasnt been hurt once.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN likes this.
  24. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I agree with you.

Just becuase u complete a 55 yard pass does not mean u have a strong arm. Sorry I have no idea what you that makes u think he can throw deep.

I may have been hard on Ginn. Lets see what he does this year.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

It looked like only 54 yards to me. From the 46 to 8 yards deep in the end zone. :D
    Just being too nitpicky I know, but the knock that Chad can't throw deep is overworked to death. Some people seem to think unless there is a vapor trail that a QB has no arm.

26. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

Nov 9, 2008
    That's all I ask for.

27. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Like I said tho I am a big fan of Ted Ginn. I think he is a special talent.