1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peppers +

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by danmarino, Apr 24, 2017.

1. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Just read that Pepper's tested positive at the combine..

2. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    So you may need to drop him from your 1st round to a 2nd round on your list.

3. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Another one bites the dust. Good riddance I didn't like the idea of us picking either him or Reuben Foster in the first round.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

4. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    diluted sample

he's reshad jones in our defense anyways pass

Base of Gase and Finster like this.
  5. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    Well, that;ll definitely mean he'll be available at 22. Supposedly its because he had been very sick and had been flushing system with liquids to recover. Don't know who true that is or isn't. But if Gase and the boys feel good about him anyways, I'd be fine taking him. This is usually when we would pass and the player goes supernova hall of fame for another team. But it could just as swiftly go the other direction I suppose.

6. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    A little weed dropped Tunsil from the top to the middle of round 1. There have been mocks showing Peppers going as high at top 10. Maybe he'll just fall to 22nd? lol..... Can the Dolphins get that lucky in back-to-back drafts?

I hope so...

finsfandan and dolphin25 like this.
  7. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I can understand Foster because of all the other shady stuff, murder stuff, that he's been tied to, but not Pepper's.

Pepper's will be a super star in the NFL.

Puka-head likes this.
  8. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    he's saying that he was under the weather when he got to the combine and having to work out 2 different days (lbs and dbs) he was pounding water thus the diluted sample...I think nfl teams will buy it

strong safety ideal fit who can play some man carry at times but he can't cover 2 way go slots so don't ask him to...for Miami the role is either reshad jones or Michael Thomas (which doesn't validate a top 25 pick) given $35 mil is in jones already...better tackler in the open field/box than Thomas though...

9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    He's a lot more versatile than reshad. And what would be the problem with having 2 Reshads?

finsfandan likes this.
  10. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    That's what Foster said, too, about his diluted sample. However, they will both start their NFL career on the drug rehab program.

And what is "he can't cover 2 way go slots"?

11. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I have said it before, peppers doesn't fill any area of need for us. We already have great returners, we already have a great strong safety. We do need a free safety but there are better free safeties than peppers available in this draft.

12. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's stupid that a diluted sample is counted as an automatic positive.

13. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    watch the Utah tape where he tried to cover the slot wr freshman...you'll see this isn't a carry coverage slot db...we need carry coverage competition for McCain in the nickel who struggles to stay attached out of cuts more than anything else corner wise

now true safety we need better depth with potential to start something fierce...I have no doubts miamis gonna draft one in the first 2 days this weekend...probably the interchangeable type over the centerfield options...the 2 deep cover 2 half field assignment accountability options but they also must be sure tacklers given the run fits required of the safeties and Miami rolls either safety up into the box etc...

dolphin25 likes this.
  14. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Peppers would fill a great need for the Dolphins. He would be one of the, if not the best, slot corner in the league that can play safety as well as the top safeties in the league. How well do you think NE would like him smashing Amendola or Gronk or their RB every play?

Puka-head and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  15. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    you can have the returner and running back versatility it's worthless to Miami given what's already in front of him there...Kenyan drake and jakeem grant...don't draft this dude top 25 cause of anything to do with special teams or offense...the value to us would be safety...but it's also reshad jones and McDonald role...so where's the run come from? likely in the nickel as a slot option over Michael Thomas (who stinks at safety in anything other than backside blitz run or pass)

I don't see the value being enough to Miami...nor do I think schematically are we the ideal fit...he needs to play a troy polomalu role...buzz the underneath and murder in off/zone crossers with kill shots...needs to be in the box or within 10 yards of the los a lot attacking

Base of Gase likes this.
  16. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Peppers is really not that great in coverage or as a free safety. I would draft Obi Melifonwu, Josh Jones, Budda Baker or Marcus Williams before I draft peppers. They are all better in coverage and as free safeties than peppers is.

17. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I don't follow college that much so I don't know that much about these guys but if a top 10 drops to us again, twice in back to back years, then I'm all for it.

finsfandan, dolphin25 and danmarino like this.
  18. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I don't think miamis looking for the centerfield option...be surprised if they go that route...so doubting budda baker or marcus Williams...thinking more the josh jones melifonwu or marcus maye type...maye of those 3 probably looks the most comfortable in single high...jones takes bad angles to the ball inside the box in the run game but its covered up at the college level by his speed...top shelf range though...obi doesn't always bring his legs on contact and has more the 2 deep and cover 2 half field reads assignment accountability late in single high...they all tackle but I'd say maye is probably the most sure box tackler of the 3...just cause jones drops his head and overruns the ball and obi doesn't always bring his legs...all 3 I would think are in play for Miami though given the half field comfort

19. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    did they test on 4/20?

finsfandan, firedan and danmarino like this.
  20. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    Everything being equal it demonstrates that you tried to game the system thus a guilty verdict. Peppers comes across as a bright guy so I would err in favor of the sickness excuse. Hard to imagine that the tests in 20 freaking 17 could not detect it even with a diluted sample.

21. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I agree, I personally like Josh Jones the most out of all. He is sometimes too overaggressive but that can be corrected with some coaching and more experience.

Maye gives up too many big plays and doesn't have the speed or range of the others.

Base of Gase likes this.
  22. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I've read that he knew he was going to work out as both a DB and LB so he drank extra in order to be hydrated enough.

Saying that, I don't believe him...lol

23. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Miami needs a ton of range at safety cause it's not gonna have it at lb with kiko and Timmons as the nickel starters and I think that's where it's headed...so we have to have serious range in the back end...I like jones but there's definitely some things to clean up...I don't see any way he gets to 54...
    he had some pretty good carry coverage play on njoku in their game...although njokus very raw as a route runner...that kid jones can fly though...he's got jet fuel...he caught the canes wr coley from behind in the open field

his instincts are a work in progress and he has to take better angles to the ball in the pros and see what he's hitting

24. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    if it's me I'm going edge rusher safety nickel corner top 3 picks...I don't see the run for a lb value with a top 2 round pick and you never draft a 2 down strong in the first 2 rounds unless he is plan a sub edge rusher and Miami doesn't do that schematically

so don't draft it...Timmons and kiko I think are your lock nickel starting lbs...

in the 3rd round I like no I love desmond king as a nickel carry coverage slot upgrade over McCain...who can also possibly man some safety in our scheme....I also like corn elder but he's not really the ideal carry coverage option...more the off type I think...good player though...

25. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    maye doesn't have the upside of some of the others but id rather have him than nate allen who has been as inconsistent as they come as a pro...I also think that maye wasn't exactly put in a good position assignment wise on some of the tds vs him...but that's a valid point about the athlete...range wise for our scheme I think he's fine if quddus is fine...which he was...and maye tackles...but I also think that maye is more your comp 3 value given he doesn't have the athletic upside some of the others do
    he also looks more sound in single high to me
    not the carry coverage slot option but I don't think miamis asking that much of it's safeties

hitman8 likes this.
  26. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I agree with your top three picks except for maybe picking up a top guard if available. As a nickel corner I really like Jourdan Lewis the most I think he could be had with our third pick. Don't think he will make it past the 4th rd.

27. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    desmond king is the Jarvis landry of dbs...put him in the slot let him get physical let his football iq which is off the charts take over and this kid wants a piece of every play on the field...he will run to the ball the way juice runs downfield to block for his teammates...what he lacks in long speed he makes up for in football iq smarts awareness willingness and he will compete his *** off...the lack of long speed says nickel value and he tackles like a safety so he could give us some package run there too...

we need more kids like this...I like lewis too but he plays a little small...I like cam Sutton also in round 3...get a piece of the nickel corner class

miamiron likes this.
  28. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    unless they are going to be suspended, I'm not sure how this changes their draft status

29. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    as for offensive guard I don't have a problem with it I just don't think they are going that route...I think gase is gonna try and offset athlete and high pick investment at guard with tempo on offense...and they signed Larsen to a 3 year deal I cant recall depth oline ever as a free agent signing for 3 years and bushrod got a bump even to come back...I think they are plan a unless something falls in their laps.
    if they take lamp at 22 id be ok with it carries a top 25 grade as a guard pivot option...don't want cam robinson given hes likely drafted as a right tackle value and he doesnt have the feet for me to validate that pick investment in our scheme and he's got balance issues on tape that bother me... like dorian Johnson and feeney although he's pretty finesse and positional angles blocker type make it a pillow fight and they love the college tackle convert to guard types anyways so a dion dawkins could be in play or moton although moton for me wouldn't carry a top 2 day grade off the tape I saw at least...
    I'm just reading tea leaves same thing with lb...they are committed 2 years to Timmons and kiko longer even and they committed to them like every down players...unless Timmons plays a 2 down strong which seems unlikely given they signed koa back...so the value at lb isn't there snaps wise at least with a top 2 round pick nor role if you draft a strong for poa and gap fill 2 down...

30. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks for your comments, Hoops, they've been good reads. Miami has looked at Justin Evans too.

31. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I think LB is definitely in play for that #22 pick.

Up until Peppers popped on that drug test I never thought he'd fall to 22. I doubt Lamp is there at 22, and if he's not then you can get a good OG in the 2nd or 3rd.

Peppers, now, will most likely be in play at around 22, and if he makes it that far, even if Lamp is still there, my bet is they take Peppers. Now, they may also like a DE (Barnett, Takk, etc) or LB (Davis, Foster, Zach. etc) as much or more than Peppers and take one of those at 22 over Peppers.

So if I had to guess their priorities will be LB, DE, S in no particular order

finsfandan likes this.
  32. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Every outlet I respect has Peppers going in the second round with the caveat that a) he needs a creative defensive coordinator to see the field early, b) he is going to need time to grow in NFL, but c) he's a really explosive athlete whom they like. Everyone seems to like him, just not in the 1st round. I think some of the arguments that he doesn't fit within Miami's scheme, and that we already have a kick returner in Drake (I'm not going to argue for Grant at this point) are valid.

33. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    When I do Fanspeak Mocks, using the CBS board, he never gets out of the 1st round and about half the time falls to 22.

34. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I wouldn't put a lot of weight on those. That's just one site's rankings, and those are simulations, but you obviously know that. I guess we'll see Thursday! Or Friday? Muwahaha.

35. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    yeah I know and I think 54 is rich for him too and he's more the centerfield type...don't think he tackles well enough for our scheme...so that's another surprise to me if it was to happen...the nacua kid from byu also has been looked at...

36. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I've heard Miami is high on asiata...I guess we will find out of they take him at 54
    looks top heavy plays top heavy is top heavy...5.38 isn't exactly ideal for the outside zone scheme reminds me of a slower Richie incognito...not the ideal pull and 2nd level move type more the phone booth mauler and has pretty decent feet for a guy that doesn't bend at the knees
    but that dudes ready for nfl contact that's for sure and I doubt he gets out of day 2 given he's not a project...just gonna be painfully slow to the perimeter of the field and 2nd level

37. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Yeah I don't like asiata much he is very top heavy and plays very frenetic with his hands. Looses balance and gets caught out of position too much in pass protection. I like Dawkins, Siragusa and Elflein better than him at guard.

38. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I heard he had a top 40 grade in our building but I also think the source is not credible

39. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Usually diluted sample = masking agent.

I'm not sure it's possible to dilute a sample drinking too much water.

40. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    He's a second rounder anyways. So overhyped its ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hitman8 likes this.