Pennington signs 1-year deal

34 replies

MuckMuckRetired AdminOP
Mar 5, 2010, 10:54 PM

Per Mort, Pennington returns!!

Basically he'll get another 60% if he's dealt.

The two sides have reached an agreement in which Pennington will receive a one-year contract for $2.5 million but allow for another $1.515 million if he is traded, according to sources. A team interested in Pennington confirmed that it was informed of Pennington's renewed commitment to the the Dolphins.

Pennington had requested a no-trade clause that was rejected by the Dolphins. If he's traded, he'll make $4.15 million in 2010 but his primary goal is to strengthen is surgically repaired shoulder throughout the year, mentor the team's young quarterbacks and provide insurance at the position if he's needed to play, a team source said.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

Mar 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

I was torn on him coming back but I'm really happy he did. He will continue to help Chad Henne along as well as provide help for the rest of the team. Not to mention, one hell of a backup QB.

JimTossJimTossForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

Thank you Chad Pennington.

Vinny FinsVinny FinsForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

woooo

fooball.
futbol.
hockey.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 10:59 PM

Well, not a bad signing , I suppose. He certainly adds veteran leadership, and is an insurance policy should injuries plague us at the QB position (or, worse yet...Henne/Thigpen aren't what we hope they are). But, I guess my only real knee jerk reaction is...what to do now with Pat White?:confused2:

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:00 PM

ha! i was against this.....but i seriously cant believe how much i love a former jet.....pennington is an absolute amazing human being and iam proud to say hes a dolphin.

Mar 5, 2010, 11:03 PM

Later Thiggy.
Now lets rip the Bills off shall we?

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:04 PM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

Later Thiggy.
Now lets rip the Bills off shall we?


Keep Thigpen, lose Pat White.

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:05 PM

This ultimately does make thigpen useless to us this season. If Henne goes down, Penny will go in you have to think.

Dolphin1184Dolphin1184New Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:07 PM

"SICK wrote:

ha! i was against this.....but i seriously cant believe how much i love a former jet.....pennington is an absolute amazing human being and iam proud to say hes a dolphin.

I will always have a man-crush on Penny. He provided stability in a time when we were in more disarray than ever. His accuracy is just amazing. I just wonder how his already "weak" arm is going to hold after another injury.

late againlate againNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:07 PM

"SICK wrote:

ha! i was against this.....but i seriously cant believe how much i love a former jet.....pennington is an absolute amazing human being and iam proud to say hes a dolphin.

I'm with you. This is the consummate team player. His attitude is rare these days.
In spite of his rather shady past :shifty: I don't see how anyone can not like this guy.

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:08 PM

As long as Pennington stays as the backup i am ok with this

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:08 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Keep Thigpen, lose Pat White.

And piss away last year's first second round pick? Assuming of course you mean to simply cut White? Sorry, but as much as I hate the PW pick, I just can't come to terms with that logic.

Again, my thought is this gives us a glut at QB...something has to give.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

DOLFANMIKEDOLFANMIKELuxury Box
Mar 5, 2010, 11:10 PM

"Muck wrote:

Per Mort, Pennington returns!!

Basically he'll get another 60% if he's dealt.

GREAT 1st day of FA as far as I'm concerned! 2 important positions filled.


1972: THE ONLY PERFECT SEASON

WELCOME TO MIAMI:
WR J. Waddle
EDGE J. Phillips

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:10 PM

we have to have something in the works with either white/thigpen no? we just gave 2.5 million dollars to our 3rd QB.....thats not normal.

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:12 PM

"The G Man wrote:

And piss away last year's first second round pick? Assuming of course you mean to simply cut White? Sorry, but as much as I hate the PW pick, I just can't come to terms with that logic.

Again, my thought is this gives us a glut at QB...something has to give.

Its not like PW is going to do anything for us anyway he isnt a good wild cat QB and he is a starting QB the only thing he can do is hold a clip board. So that pick is already pretty much "Pissed away"

Crappy TipperCrappy TipperNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:13 PM

I would like to see Henne, Thigpen & Pennington as our Qb's. As much as I would hate to cut / trade White because he was a 2nd round pick last season I hate the idea of having a player that I consider useless on the roster filling a spot that could go to a solid contributor on the team.

0 Undefeated Teams


Thanks giovafin sweet signature!

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Mar 5, 2010, 11:15 PM

I say let Pennington heal up, work with Chad Henne. If Pat White can improve and prove he can contribute as a WR, he can then be listed as such on the depth chart--while still being used in the WildPat package.

Thigpen is getting traded. I really believe that if anyone is traded it's Chad Pennington. There's a reason why there wasn't a no-trade clause given. If he can prove he's healthy and a QB or two is injured, he'd be very marketable.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:16 PM

just saw chris mortenson say that the dolphins "like thigpen alot" and that thigpen "is hennes real insurance"

i honestly see pennington being paid so much to be a very unique qb coach in pads.......

and of course a great insurance policy if both our qbs go down. (henne/thiggy)

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:17 PM

not many teams can say if their 3rd qb comes in they are still confident they will win most games. we can now say that miami!!!!!!!!!

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:17 PM

"rdhstlr23 wrote:

I say let Pennington heal up, work with Chad Henne. If Pat White can improve and prove he can contribute as a WR, he can then be listed as such on the depth chart--while still being used in the WildPat package.

Thigpen is getting traded. I really believe that if anyone is traded it's Chad Pennington. There's a reason why there wasn't a no-trade clause given. If he can prove he's healthy and a QB or two is injured, he'd be very marketable.

we wouldn't agree to the no trade clause because if favre screws the vikings over, or the cards really believe they have nothing in leinart, then they are going to need someone like penny and fast.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:18 PM

i love it!

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:20 PM

know your role penny. know your role.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 11:21 PM

Well, to me this signals a change of Pat White's role on this team. My guess is he will be switched over to some sort of "slash" role and/or PR. No way we carry four QB's into the regular season. I just don't see it happening.

Only other possibilities; he gets cut (oh jeez, what a waste of a pick), or traded (and, who in their right mind is going to give us anything worth anything for this kid after what little he showed us last season)?

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Mar 5, 2010, 11:21 PM

"Crappy Tipper wrote:

I would like to see Henne, Thigpen & Pennington as our Qb's. As much as I would hate to cut / trade White because he was a 2nd round pick last season I hate the idea of having a player that I consider useless on the roster filling a spot that could go to a solid contributor on the team.

This exactly.
I don't give a ratsazz where he was picked, White will never be an NFL calibur QB. Never. Ever.
Either teach him a new position, trade him, or just cut him outright.
The Penny signing is ALL about Henne's future btw. I have no doubt about that.