1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pennington Comes Home To Mentor

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, May 30, 2013.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Despite my utter hatred of the Jets, I always liked Pennington and when he came to Miami, I was thrilled.

I think it's very telling that he came to help in Miami...and not in New York. :up:

2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Pennington will always be a Dolphin to me! gave me one of the greatest seasons in recent memory! Last QB to take us to a playoff game not named Jay Fielder

TiP54 and Bumrush like this.
  3. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    [video=youtube;yvNbEPw6zt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvNbEPw6zt8 [/video]

Good Highlight of our season and Pennington that year.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't quite understand going from the jets last season to us this season and if he will be continuing the journey with other teams, Philbin got short on the question when it was asked if he would could be here even longer, I wonder if the door is open for a position and it's up to chad at this pont, Philbin looks down and say chads a busy man, great family man..

Chad pennington can motivate people, I would love him on our team.

5. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    I think if Chad Pennington wanted to have a coaching job in the NFL at this time, he would have one. He has stated previously that he wanted to spend time with his family after retiring, and he did also say that one time that he thought being a high school football coach would be the best fit. That he is spending time with NFL teams (the jets last year, the dolphins for this week, and who knows where in the future) suggests a man who wants to stay around the game, but is waiting until the time is right for him to commit to a job. He may also be assessing at what level of the game he wants to work at.

I would have Pennington as a coach on our team in a heartbeat; I don't think it is rocket science to see his potential as a future head coach with the tools for success at every level. Right now however, it is difficult to see how he would fit onto our offensive staff with Sherman and Sherman's son in law holding down the main two jobs.

That said, if the things were to go completely wrong this year, 3-13 wrong and Philbin loses the team etc.; I would personally be ok with Pennington being interviewed for the head coaching job. If he could show evidence that he could put a staff together, I'd hire him too (pending resolution of the GM situation). As much as I'd like Pennington to be our coach that is not a scenario I'm rooting for however.

dolfan7171 and djphinfan like this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    2008 was a great year. Unfortunately Pennington's skills and on the field coaching masked what was otherwise a terrible coaching regime here in Miami.

muscle979, RevRick and ATLFINFAN like this.
  7. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY

I liked this post but IMO your jumping the gun. He has alot of work to do and prove in the coaching ranks But he has a ton of potential and look forward to his work 10 yrs from now. But the majority of your post rocked

Daben and Larryfinfan like this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    A great QB has to be able to protect the football, be smart and make chunk yardage plays.

Penny could only do 2 of those things. The WildCat took care of the chunk yardage. Basically, the WildCat was a necessity because of Penny's arm strength flaw and without it, we would have been no better than an 8-8 team tops.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Like most, I love what Penny brought to this team or any team he played on. I think that if HE wanted, he'd be a QB coach already in this league. I think he's capable of more, but I also think that is a decision he hasn't made up for himself just yet...

And to be thinking of him as a HC in the next year or two is a bit too far....he'd have to prove himself as committed enough to be successful at this level before he is considered for anything like a HC...It'll take longer than a year or two...

siciliansith and Fin D like this.
  10. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I won't act like the WildCat didn't play a big role in that 2008 run. It did. But let's not forget Pennington had considerable success in this league without the WildCat.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, but that was before his arm deteriorated to the point it was. It was never strong, but injuries made it even worse and by the time he got here, it was pretty dead. I'm not trying to crap on Penny, I just want to put this all into perspective and get the point across that we went 11-5 that year because Penny and the WildCat combined to take the place of a really good QB.

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Joey Porter, Patrick Cobb, Wildcat, Ted Ginn barely catching TDs........man those were the days...

Tone_E, RoninFin4 and siciliansith like this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'll probably get flamed this, but IMO if Ronnie Brown had been dedicated all year long, he might have been in the Top 15 all time.

djphinfan and SICK like this.
  14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I won't flame you. I loved Ronnie, you watch his highlights during his prime here, and he was fast, could catch, and once he got going downhill could lower the ****ing boom. Him and Ricky running around out there was fun to watch.

Tone_E and Sceeto like this.
  15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think he ever had the vision as a runner to be a great back.

Stringer Bell and RoninFin4 like this.
  16. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    :butthead::dolphin:
    And great blog radio, and Landshark Lager. was a party

SICK likes this.
  17. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Always had a man crush on Penny. It is a damn shame that he couldn't stay healthy in the end. One great pass to Hartline and then he injured his shoulder again.

Most accurate QB ever.

18. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    He did make a apearance for Sparano last yr in NY.but still like him. Aug of 2012

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...ts-new-york-jets-tutor-mark-sanchez-tim-tebow

I believe Ireland saw that we could use something and Philbin was happy to oblige nothing more nothing less. Smart move when yr two qb needs to cut his turnovers and work on accuracy. I agree with ya Pennington was a class act! I loved mr Noodle i was eating Ramen for weeks when we made the playoffs lol

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    If Penny had the arm of Brady or Manning - he'd have been a great one. I thought his intelligence as a QB was second only to Manning when Chad was in his prime. This is where he could add a lot to Tannehill.

20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I partially agree, but I don't think the arm strength was as much as an issue as you're making it out to be. That is discounting every nice play Pennington made when the offense was not in Wildcat formation and there were plenty of them. He still had the arm and mind to get the job done. The offensive numbers under Pennington were the best this team has seen in over a decade. Granted, I acknowledge Wildcat was a factor but I don't think too many other QBs in the league back in 2008 could have done much better or as well as Pennington.

RevRick likes this.
  21. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

While writing notes for Tannehill and Moore, Pennington tore his rotator cuff. Sadly, he will be out for the remainder of the year.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  22. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    This is exactly what I hoped would happen and even posted about it when Pennington's playing days were over. I said back then that I hope he would stick around and eventually be our qb coach

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not discounting anything. You have to have chunk yardage plays otherwise your offense is containable. He wouldn't have been able to do the things he did, if not for the WildCat opening things up. Think about it, why did we go to the WildCat to begin with?

Penny was 2/3 of an excellent QB. That missing 1/3 was filled in by the WildCat.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Watching how Penny operated was a joy to watch, he made it exciting because of his leadership, he won that season because he he has the ability to keep 10 guys completely focused on execution, and that's what we were, a team that executed their plays at a high ratio with minimal mistakes, you get that done with as much mental acuity as you do with winning the physical part of the game.

I agree with you, I think he's been scouting the NFL, Im sure he realizes he's got Jim Harbaugh potential, slightly crazy, not afraid to be himself, while being an elite leader, if he doesn't realize, he needs to..

I've said this before when he retired, If I was in charge, I would do everything possible to make sure this is the place he wants to come when he decides to coach..I'm very impressed with our staffs confidence to bring Chad in and his willingness to come here, I would make sure he had an offer on the spot, I'm pretty sure that's been conveyed by Philbin, we have a young Qb coach, who seems to have potential, an old coordinator, seems like a great fit..If I'm Philbin I'm on it, I wish we could somehow develop coaches and trade them for assets? Wonder why we can't?

Anyways, yeah, come on Chad, no going to another team next year there buddy, he had too much dolphin gear on yesterday to cheat on us next year, he better not or il feel cheated on.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    All the more evidence for Pennington coaching abilities, its all littered throughout that year, it was all him..he was the player coach.and he's a future star.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    even more evidence, he raised the level of play even though he knew his arm had limitations, he managed the game like a point guard.

27. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Reading some of these posts, I can't help but shake my head in disbelief. Just because you were a mediocre player doesn't mean you can't be a great coach. The winningest head coach in the NFL history was an undersized mediocre defensive back for the Cleveland Browns...Don Shula!

RevRick likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    " The two quarterbacks met more than once for classroom-type sessions."

So when sparano got the gig over there, Sanchez because of the rules could only spend so much time with his new coordinator, initiated contact with Pennington, Penny brought his dolphin play book and gave some lessons to the guy who wears different color headbands.

I wonder if he wore jet gear from head to toe lol

Oh, and he lives in south Florida..

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR.....por que?

Not one single post said Penny couldn't be an excellent coach. Seriously, what are you shaking your head in disbelief about?

30. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    How did the WC have such an effect on Pennington, when it pretty much was a formation that was only used when he was off the field? Its not like defenses had to think about it when he was under center.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's a very good point..he didnt look good in the first quarter, was getting squeezed, the wildcat put defenders on their heels and made them hesitate, he then flipped that hesitation with his anticipation skills and started cutting up defenses, he would get them to go one way and we would go the other..

32. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Didn't help Chad Henne though.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The similarities are strong with Harbaugh..including the position they played and how they played it..

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Or Sanchez lol

35. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Pennington was an average QB who could have been great if not for his arm strengths limitations. There is no doubt in my mind he will be a great head coach one day.

36. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    I know suggesting Pennington could make the jump to being an NFL head coach right away is pretty extreme, but my mindset in such matters is that if you identify someone who might be truly special, you don't wait: you back them and give them the time and the resources they need to be successful. Experience and wisdom can be added through other members on the staff, what can't be so easily added are the rare leadership qualities Pennington appears to possess. I know I'm going to be in the minority on this one, and I doubt this would happen, but that would be my approach.

I would also add that this is all a hypothetical I hope doesn't happen here, as it would be nice for success to find us with the current staff.

siciliansith and djphinfan like this.
  37. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, by the time Penny fell into our laps, he was a good QB who was able to overcome his arm strength limitations until he got that wing clipped again and again. By the time we got him, physically, he could barely do it but I do agree that he has the ability to be a pretty good coach in this league, IF he really wants to do it...I don't think he's convinced yet that's the direction he wants to go...

38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    stay tuned.... :wink2:

siciliansith likes this.
  39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, would still take Henne over Butt Fumble, the Hennenator had less to work with in Mia then Butt Fumble has had in NYJ land.

As for Pennington..one of my favorite Dolphins Qb's, loved his game talk about maximizing a limited skillset and Rhodes Scholar mind w/Leadership qualities.

IMO, Tannehill's leadership is what sets him apart from Henne, there is -0- chance he'll ever do an event in drag whilst on vacation.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Pennington was the master motivator..awesome to watch, and very easy to see what execution looks like when all guys are on the same page.