1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peele, Martin, Can't Match Gates

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins30sbnov30,0,5319164.story

By Omar Kelly | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    November 30, 2007
    Article tools
    E-mail Share
    Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Single page view Reprints Post Comment Text size: DAVIE - Coach Cam Cameron came to the Dolphins with the reputation as one of the most innovative offensive minds when it came the utilization of tight ends.

NFL and college teams studied the Chargers' offense to copy how Cameron's former team was using All-Pro Antonio Gates.

The expectation was that Cameron would help the Dolphins tight ends achieve the same kind of success. But this season they haven't been a focal point for the struggling offense.

2. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    It does not help that David Martin is a stiff.

Peele should play more in my opinion. He is limited of course but at least he does what he is supposed to do well enough.

Drafting a tight end is a high prioity for this football team. Too bad it ranks behind about 5 positions on defense, receiver, guard and a young right tackle.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's pretty clear that David Martin was an attempt at a cheap upside move when the team was in a position where it couldnt really justify spending the resources on draft pick or heralded FA TE.

It's important to have a good TE in Cameron's offense, but it is less essential that having the basics of an offense in place. I wont doubt that we've been hurting for a big guy who can draw the safeties attention and work the intermediate, but there wasnt much of an option last year IMO.

Justin Peelle is an H-Back, and he's been good as a blocker both on the line of scrimmage and in the backfield. I think that's a reasonable role for Peelle to continue in, basically splitting time with the #3 WR and Mauia.

I think the writing is on the wall this offseason, though. If not Dallas Clark, than one of the myriad of 2nd round projected TEs in the draft.

4. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    We had a TE. His name was Donald Lee. I was posting regularly on Finheaven at that point and there was a clear divide. The posters who saw the blocking ability and agility and obvious potential wanted to keep him. The overreactive types wanted to cut him.

I remember I was voicing concern that Lee would be cut, and KB21 replied to me, "Don't worry. We're not going to cut Donald Lee." Well, he should have been correct but the damn brass sided with the dropsie crew a few days later and we dumped Lee, in favor of a bunch of mush.

I've been watching Lee at GB for two seasons and he's now a good NFL TE, earning a 4 year contract and big raise recently. He's playing with confidence and his receiving skills have improved significantly.

5. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    You know what, that is a great point. You could see the talent the guy had, the mental errors were maddening though....

I really liked him to be honest but I soured on him just before he was cut. It's another case of "you have to be patient with young players".

I feel I'm being paid off with my patience now though, I've believed in Jason Allen since day one and he appears to be paying off now.

6. Fla Phin

Fla Phin New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Even though I don't think Martin is much better than a backup.... oh what a difference that a good/great QB makes.