1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by sking29, Dec 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Today (December 7, 2009) is the 68th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. As a result of the attack there were 2,400 military personnel and even civilian casualties (2,403 to be exact). As many of us here in the history forum know this was 9/11 before there was a 9/11 and I just wanted to make this thread to reflect on the events and mourn for those lost.

So I want to dedicate this thread to those lost in the Pearl Harbor attack and to all the military personnel who fought bravely that day and as a result throughout WWII.

Link to some info:
    http://www.military.com/Resources/HistorySubmittedFileView?file=history_pearlharbor.htm

jetssuck, Pagan, BigDogsHunt and 4 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I said a small prayer when I woke up

jetssuck, gafinfan, alen1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    God Bless America

jetssuck and gafinfan like this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Major tactical blunder by the Japs to attack Pearl Harbor. Afterwards Yamamoto, I believe, said, "I'm afraid we've awoken a sleeping giant". Admiral Hara Tadaichi summed up the Japanese result by saying, "We won a great tactical victory at Pearl Harbor and thereby lost the war."
    6 of the 8 battleships sunk or damaged were repaired and back in service before the end of the war and every ship in the Jap fleet that pulled off the attack was sunk before the end of the war.
    Two huge errors in the Jap strategy was ignoring the sub pens and not bombing the old HQ/admin bldg that housed the cryptanalytic unit, which we'd have not won at Midway without. Our subs did more by crippling Japan's transport ships than anything battleships did. Japan thought the naval war in the Pacific would be primarily a battleship war and hoarded battleships for a big deciding battle that never happened.

gafinfan likes this.