1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriots QB question

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by shula_guy, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Do you believe the Patriots would be playing better with Brady then Cassel behind center?

Is Cassel a one hit wonder or has he blossomed before our eyes into a true starter caliber QB?

Are Cassel and Brady both products of a belicheck offensive system or would they be elite QB's anywhere in the leauge?

Could Cassel be the brady's steve young sitting behind Montanna and the geinie in the bottle was uncorked prematurely?

Im leading these questions to go somewhere but will stop here for now and build on it after I get some of your thoughts to continue to build on this with.

Ok so go ahead and start flaming on me for having the audasity to compare cassel to HOF QB's.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Brady is a Pro Bowl QB and SB MVP. I think they would be playing better. Cassel is not a one hit wonder and I think he could start in this league if the pats don't keep him for whatever reason. As for him being a Steve Young only time will tell.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They would be better with Brady in my opinion. He can make every throw, he doesn't hold on to the ball too long and he's clutch.

This is a tough question to answer because Cassel struggles with short accuracy as well as other things and has come on in such a short time. It may be a little bit of Cassel improving and the great coaching job done by Josh McDaniel. He's excellent.

Brady, no.

Cassel, yes.

Could be. I can't say no. He could end up leaving the Patriots after this year, however I don't see it happening.

No reason to flame you bro, you've asked some good questions. :up:

shula_guy likes this.
  4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    When you have guys like Randy Moss and Wes Welker plus a decent OL as well as superb offensive coordinators, it's not hard to look good. This team was insanely good when they had Brady and right now they're just above average. Joey Harrington would produce similar results in Cassel's situation.

5. ok so here is where I am going with this. This is completely hypothetical of course.

For arguments sake come the end of this season they learn that there is about a 75% chance that brady will be able to start for them and there is a 25% chance that they may have to go back into his knee again. He may be out of action for the entire season and probally at least the first half if they do need to go back in. Lets also assume you have a trade partner who would be willing to give you 2 1st rd picks for Brady.

If your BB and you believe Cassel is a product of your system and will continue to excell as your QB. Would you dump off a HOF QB and take the chance on Cassel. Take the two extra first day picks and use them to inject youth into your ageing defense.

I know it sounds crazy to trade Brady, but if your BB and you believe Cassel is on track to be another Brady. The reality is that Cassel enters next season as an UFA so you either have to sign as a stater or let him walk with no compensation. Some team out there is going to offer Cassel a starter role and sign him for decent money. NE could probally resign him at a reasonable price, relieve themselves of some big salary cap space, and inject some much needed youth into their team.

So am I nut to think if Im pioloi or BB I would be dangling Brady out there as trade bait to see who is willing to bite and how hard they bite.

Another factor in this equation is do you think when Brady returns they once again become the powerhouse Super Bowl contenders they have been since the earlier half of this decade?

If not, it might be time to make a tough call and start building for your future, not to mention to get some return value on a possibly declining talent that will never return back to the Brady of once upon a time ago.

6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think it's possible they trade brady, sure. Just take a look at mcnabb after his injury and see where he's at. He won't be the same I can guarantee you that.

I don't think they do trade him, though. I also don't think that they'll be the same perrenial SB powerhouse contenders though

7. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Or he could end up like Scott Mitchell. Came in and played great in 1993, got the big contract with Detroit in 1994 and weight in at 280 lbs a few years later.:pointlol:

8. A very good friend of mine is a patriots fan (he is not your typical pats fan he is actually bearable to be around) We will be watching the game together next week for bragging rights to kick in at the soonest possible moment. I am going to pose this question to him just to see how he reacts to it.

anlgp likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    In my opinion, I move Brady. As crazy as that sounds, I believe Cassel could excel in my Quarterback-friendly system. You move this guy because he has bad knees. He's had two knee surgeries including a knee infection. Assuming Brady comes back after next season, he'll be 32 or 33 and he'll have bad knees. He may have three years tops left in him while Cassel would be 27 or 28 and would be excelling in your system. In this move, you get rid of cap space, you acquire two draft picks and with the successful drafting of this front office, you are likely to hit on those two draft picks.

Not a chance it happens in my opinion.

I'll say this and only this, as long as Belichick is a coach there, they'll be a SB contender every year.

10. your right he could be another scott mitchell

11. I think the fans would all panic but I also think I would do it if I could find a trading partner to do it. I think if it happened they might have to deal with a pissed off randy moss on their hands too because I think he only came here because he thought hooking up with Brady could get him some records.

anlgp likes this.
  12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Brady is (was) the best player in the NFL. Yes, they would be much much better with him than without, not even close.

Cassell is benefitting from having some great WRs, and having a coaching staff that finally is understanding his strengths.

Cassell is not a good QB. Hes OK. He cant make a deep throw to save his life, is rattled by pressure, and generally just isnt that good imo. That said, some team will likely overpay for in FA, and I doubt he comes back as a Patriot unless the Brady situation is as bad as some rumors that he might be out all of next year, or his career is over.