Patriots Have Say in Schedule

31 replies

emale2u1emale2u1New MemberOP
Dec 9, 2008, 08:47 PM

I haven't seen this anywhere before, but my daily update from the fantasyguru.com contained the following comment ...

Sunday's game against the Raiders marks the third straight week that the Patriots will face a team that has 10 days to prepare for the matchup because they played a Thursday night game the week before. Teams playing on Thursday night this season are 10-4 the following week, so the extra rest and preparation time does seem to help. However, the quirks in the Patriots’ schedule are of their own design: the club requested to play its West Coast games back-to-back if possible, and the NFL granted that request, pairing up their road games against the 49ers/Chargers in October and the Seahawks/Raiders in December. That’s how they ended up facing three teams in a row coming off Thursday games

I didn't realize that teams could request the NFL to give them certain types of schedules. Maybe this is only open to the Patroits ...

I suggest the dolphins request that next year all northern games are played before Thanksgiving. I would especially request that all home games in September and October start at 1PM.

Has anyone ever heard of a team having any say over iit's schedule? That is totally new to me.

JAJacksonNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:02 PM

Wow. I have never heard of that either.

ALalen1New Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:04 PM

I believe the NCAA does this as well but I could be wrong. Their schedule this year was the easiest one coming off of a undefeated regular season. I would think they wanted to go undefeated to beat our '72 Dolphins. So much for that....:D

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:05 PM

Me either. That's BS.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Dec 9, 2008, 09:06 PM

Belicheat wormtongued the league into creating his "special" schedule.

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Dec 9, 2008, 09:06 PM

I've heard of teams requesting it.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:09 PM

Real shocked it was granted.....

Wonder if they wrote a letter to the office's requesting their players be allowed to throw multiple punches to the head of a guy not wearing a helmet..........request granted.

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:17 PM

"alen1 wrote:

I believe the NCAA does this as well but I could be wrong. Their schedule this year was the easiest one coming off of a undefeated regular season. I would think they wanted to go undefeated to beat our '72 Dolphins. So much for that....:D

NCAA would make sense though because the athletes are in school but this is a bit odd to me.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:17 PM

The league let the Dolphins do it in 2004. Wanny asked for the games against Seattle and San Franciso be back to back so the Dolphins could stay on the west coast and the league said okay:wink2:

It's not a Patriots thing.

AguaAguaForum Veteran
Dec 9, 2008, 09:33 PM

"steveincolorado wrote:

The league let the Dolphins do it in 2004. Wanny asked for the games against Seattle and San Franciso be back to back so the Dolphins could stay on the west coast and the league said okay:wink2:

It's not a Patriots thing.

Yeah, I didn't remember the specifics, but I remember Wanny getting some scheduling favors. There was also a year (it may have been same year), by request, they DID schedule the away games against the northern div opponents early.

So this kind of thing does happen.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 09:38 PM

It also depends on if the stadiums have open dates also. The stadiums don't give the NFL first rights, for example, just look at the Marlins vs Dolphins schedules. The league can't schedule a Dolphins game in the middle of a Marlins home stand.:wink2:

The Aqua CrushThe Aqua CrushNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 10:11 PM

It was funner to think it was just a patriot thing.

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Dec 9, 2008, 11:12 PM

I'd imagine every team sends in a request every year, but there has to be a logical reason to accept the request. Such a having to do a ridiculous amount of traveling.

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Dec 9, 2008, 11:18 PM

yea its not like this gives them a distinct obvious advantage or anything. i have no problem with this really.

OzzyOzzyLuxury Box
Dec 10, 2008, 01:17 AM

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

Here is the first clue but its from a while back.

The plan calls for Owner Robert Kraft to privately finance a $250 million stadium next to Foxboro Stadium. The NFL, under a new financing plan, will finance up to half of Kraft's cost. The state will pay for $70 million in infrastructure improvements around the stadium. Kraft will also pay nearly $1 million a year in easement fees.

The NFL has been catering to Robert Kraft for some time so it should not be too much of a surprise. Just like their LT got away with numerous punches to a players head. A player who had no helmet on none the less! They even made up a new rule that I'm sure we wont here to much about in the future. The dreaded smack talking fine!!!

If the Dolphins were to ask for scheduling favors, my bet is that the NFL consults with Robert Kraft before they do anything.....

http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif

femalefinfanfemalefinfanLuxury Box
Dec 10, 2008, 09:08 AM

I seem to remember Wanny making a similar request a few years ago and it was granted. I'm sure someone can help me with the details.

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Dec 10, 2008, 09:14 AM

"femalefinfan wrote:

I seem to remember Wanny making a similar request a few years ago and it was granted. I'm sure someone can help me with the details.

2004 I believe. Back to back road games against Seattle and San Fran or something.

@KevinMD4

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Dec 10, 2008, 09:30 AM

"Ozzy wrote:

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

Here is the first clue but its from a while back.

The NFL has been catering to Robert Kraft for some time so it should not be too much of a surprise. Just like their LT got away with numerous punches to a players head. A player who had no helmet on none the less! They even made up a new rule that I'm sure we wont here to much about in the future. The dreaded smack talking fine!!!

If the Dolphins were to ask for scheduling favors, my bet is that the NFL consults with Robert Kraft before they do anything.....

The league has a stadium fund which subsidizes most of the new stadiums. At least the ones that don't get 100% public money.

PMZQPMZQNew Member
Dec 10, 2008, 10:01 AM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

2004 I believe. Back to back road games against Seattle and San Fran or something.

Two games he didn't coach.....or at least didn't coach one of them. I know for a fact that Bates coached the Seattle game. Was that Bates 1st one as coach ? We won the San Fran game, I know that but I thought it was like mid-season.

Does anyone have the 2004 schedule handy ?

PMZQPMZQNew Member
Dec 10, 2008, 10:02 AM

"schmolioot wrote:

The league has a stadium fund which subsidizes most of the new stadiums. At least the ones that don't get 100% public money.

I guess it must have been established after Dolphins Stadium was built, because Joe Robbie never got any such loan that I am aware of. I wonder why Huizenga didn't get money to improve Dolphin Stadium from that fund, or did he ?

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Dec 10, 2008, 10:19 AM

"PMZQ wrote:

I guess it must have been established after Dolphins Stadium was built, because Joe Robbie never got any such loan that I am aware of. I wonder why Huizenga didn't get money to improve Dolphin Stadium from that fund, or did he ?

It's relatively recent. I think it helped build Lincoln Financial in Philly, the new Indy stadium and a few others. You're not talking about hunreds of millions, if there are overruns or shortfalls in the $20 million range or so the elague chips in.

I don't think it applies to renovations

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Dec 10, 2008, 10:22 AM

NFL says stadium fund has run dry

Good article on the fund. Apparently it was tapped dry following $300 million for Giants/Jets new stadium and $42 mill in renovations to Arrowhead. Wayne H. was probably too late.

No idea if they've replensihed it or not.

njfinfannjfinfanNew Member
Dec 10, 2008, 10:22 AM

"PMZQ wrote:

Does anyone have the 2004 schedule handy ?

Ask and ye shall receive. :knucks:

NFL Schedule - 2004 NFL Schedule and Results

Maxine's back! :up:

THOSE WHO ARE LIFTING THE WORLD UPWARD AND ONWARD ARE THOSE WHO ENCOURAGE MORE THAN CRITICIZE.

PhinsRockPhinsRockLuxury Box
Dec 10, 2008, 10:29 AM

"steveincolorado wrote:

It also depends on if the stadiums have open dates also. The stadiums don't give the NFL first rights, for example, just look at the Marlins vs Dolphins schedules. The league can't schedule a Dolphins game in the middle of a Marlins home stand.:wink2:

That should be the other way around if you ask me, seems to me the Dolphins ought to have first priority since it IS "Dolphins Stadium" after all. :angry:

2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Dec 10, 2008, 11:42 AM

"PMZQ wrote:

Two games he didn't coach.....or at least didn't coach one of them. I know for a fact that Bates coached the Seattle game. Was that Bates 1st one as coach ? We won the San Fran game, I know that but I thought it was like mid-season.

Does anyone have the 2004 schedule handy ?

I think you're right. But it was two back-to-back games out west. Maybe Denver and San Fran. I forget, but I'm pretty sure San Fran was one of them.

@KevinMD4