1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriot Way Cedes to Next Title Desperation

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Rances, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    I haven't spent too much time researching this but i think it has some merit and is the most interesting thing about this afternoon's events.

Thinking back on when the Patriots began this incredible run, they were just about the most nondescript collection of players. There were no stars. They refused to be introduced at the Super Bowl as starters and reserves but rather ran out as a team. The cliche name on the front of the jersey over the name on the back of the jersey seemed to be all that mattered.

Now, as years go by and this team can't win that last game of the season, the super ego of the super coach seems to have broken the core values of his proud organization over his knee.

A few years ago, Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johsnon were the players brought in to help the Patriots get over the hump. Two guys with huge issues both on the field and off the field. Two guys that NO ONE would have considered "Patriots". Two guys who ultimately provided nothing to the team other than side noise.

Aaron Hernandez is a player that was taken off several teams draft boards because of issues that are no coming to light. Yet when the opportunity was there to take a super talented player at a position of incredible value, the Patriot Way was once again pushed aside in the favor of the newest shiny object that could make an impact.

Last season, Talib is brought in as a the remedy to a hemorrhaging secondary. The same Talib who was run out of Tampa as quickly as possible for a variety of issues despite being one of the more respected cover corners in the league.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I am not sure I wouldn't have taken some of those exact same chances to try and become a Super Bowl Champion. But I know one thing.... I sure am tired of the way the media tries to convert us all to the Religion Of Bob Kraft, even as player after player strays from the Patriot Way.

djphinfan likes this.
  2. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I wouldn't write them off so quick but they have had a rough off season for sure.

TiP54 likes this.
  3. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    The armor definately looks worn and beat up but it is hard to call them dead as firedan just said.

4. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    Not a matter of burying their hopes yet.. Just tired of the constant narrative about how the pats do it all the right way.. They e sold a bit of their soul lately to try and hit some home runs and it seems now the devil is back to start collecting on some of those debts...

5. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They'll still be in the mix until Brady retires. I think arrogance more than desperation made them think they could get something out of some of the players they brought in.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd argue, that for a team with a history of cheating whether it be by snowplow or video camera, everything you described is the "Patriot Way".

xphinfanx and Justright like this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Brady won a SB with David Givens, Deion Branch and Troy Brown.
    Do not count them out ever.

TiP54 likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It does seem like Belicek may of starting believing his own hype, and that hype was centered around him being able to conform any style of personality with his structure and leadership..Risk vrs reward is very real in today's evaluation game, Im pretty happy that Philbin seems like a guy that won't compromise too much, but jeez, if your drafting guys who have gang tattoos on their body, your ego might need to get checked..

9. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    absolutely never wrote the words count them out nor did i make any prediction on the future results. Their future hinges on the Gronk Back as much as anything right now. And yes, until the Champ is knocked out respect must be given.

Just found it interesting that as each year ticks by without a title, the character requirement for the Patriot Way seems to drop a level or two.

The juxtaposition of the decreasing moral prerequisite to be a Patriot with the constant Media Adulation about how wonderful that organization is and how Kraft is the model of all that is right and holy is amazing to me.

Tin Indian and Bpk like this.
  10. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    I understand your point of view but i don't think that questionable character guys and highest level winning are mutually exclusive. There are plenty of teams that have won at the highest level with plenty of the questionable character guys.

What interests me more is the media representation of the Pats and Kraft as being the team with integrity that can't be impugned and yet that roll call of guys with some serious issues continues to grow and grow.

11. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    your avatar warms the cockles of my heart.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the media has been scared to ask the tough questions...lets hope the narrative changes and someone grows a pair to bring up the same points you have..

Quick, someone tweet Heath Evans and tell him he's part of the media now, ask him if has the guts to question the recent blueprint to bring in said players..

Bpk likes this.
  13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    They released him. That is the Patriot way.

Unlike the Steelers or Ravens who kept their felons.

14. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    Help me out here because I am trying to get this straight.. which one is it... bringing on problem guys or cutting loose problem guys the minute they become a problem....

The Patriot Way can't be both. If you cut felons then you shouldn't be signing em in the first place.

15. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    Yea, I agree. I wonder if there is anyone out there willing to actually go a bit on the offensive against the Patriots.

Always interesting to me how if you win first it becomes damn near impossible to lose that luster. People always hate this comparison but if you take Tom Brady's last twelve or so postseason starts and compare them to Peyton Mannings first twelve or so postseason starts theyre pretty damn similar. But once you're brandished winner guy early that's a glow that is hard to take off.

They're an amazing franchise this century but they've had some rocky moments the last six or seven years with the Leagues's best player at the league's most important position and the league's genius walking the sidelines.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the personnel dept is part of the big picture in this league , and it seems like the last five years or so, they haven't been on the good side of getting it right more often than not, maybe because of the lack of talent in the personnel dept they started taking some easy routes..

If I'm a GM, I'll tell ya a question I'm gonna start asking..." Can you tell me what this tattoo on your hand represents?? Lol.

Bpk likes this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What were looking for is the media to do a story on the inconsistencies of the media..

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The patriot way...lol....I'm sure the media pundits who think this is a real theory that produces results will spin this somehow..

19. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    They have always brought on problem guys. Corey Dillon. Randy Moss. Chad Ochocinco. None of them committed murder but they had their red flags.

Don't act like Aaron Hernandez was the first guy they have brought on that had red flags. Randy Moss smoked weed, pushed a cop down a whole city block on the hood of his car, and developed alligator arms in Oakland.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    JD what does this have to do with what The OP is talking about?

21. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The OP is talking to me about it, so he knows.

"The Patriot Way" apparently is not even allowing problem children on the team, but I'm pointing out, that's not how BB has operated. He has allowed problem children on the team.

The Patriot Way is team first, and if anyone gets out of line they get kicked off the team. Randy Moss who has badmouthed everything he comes across (he would probably badmouth Jesus if they played on the same team) changed his ways once he was on the Patriots and practically begged to be added back to the team. That's not the Randy Moss we know.

The Patriot Way is never badmouthing the opponent, and when Wes Welker did so with his jokes about feet, he was disciplined.

I'm just pointing out the flaw in the argument contained in the OP. They have welcomed bad character guys before. They just won't put up with it once on the team.

22. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    Corey dillon had a bad attitude for a team that wouldnt spend money and had no plan to win. Randy moss was a big mouth me first player. Neither of those two guys had violent off the field tendencies. Chad johnson, haynesworth and hernandez are completely different stories. Add talib to that and u can see that in the past three seasons theyve pushed the envelope on guys with some crime on their record.

Not to mention that when dillon and moss were on the team there was a crew of veterans that could incorporate those character guys into the system. Who is on that team now from the patriot way years to instill that kind of culture?

The pats have always tried to send the message that their way is better than your way.. Especially from the owner who is the biggest pusher of this image... And the media feeds that beast non stop. Not sure how u disagree with that.

23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Randy Moss pushed a cop on the hood of his car for a whole city block (ok accounts differ but he either bumped her to the ground, or pushed her but it's still an assault with a very heavy weapon).

Aaron Hernandez was never arrested for any violent off field behavior. Yes we now know he was a monster. Before that he was a kid who had some drug problems and ties to gangs. Hello NFL??

In this case, a lot of teams wait until proceedings are finished. Patriots cut him at the arrest. Falcons cut Vick after he already served two years of his sentence. The Ravens never released Ray Lewis. In this situation, they are different than other teams. Dallas didn't cut their guy after he killed someone, and now he's back in jail. Carolina didn't cut Carruth until he became a fugitive.

They cut a star TE minutes after his arrest. Who else has done that? Hate the patriots, but what they did here is indeed unprecedented (so was Hernandez' crime).

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The patriots kept Dennard on their roster after he got arrested for hitting a cop and resisting arrest..

Wow, the patriot way was a complete fabrication by their ex players who are now in the media trying to bamboozle the public.

25. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Actually, the hitting the cop thing occurred while he was still in college. That is why his draft stock fell from the 1st round all the way to the 7th where the Pats brilliantly scooped him up.