1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pathetic effort by the offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The defense played well enough to win this game. Yeah, they gave up the drive at the end but the Pats had 10 easy points off miscues and they held Brady in check.

This is the 3rd time in the last 4 games the Dolphins played a bad defensive team and couldn't get anything going. I love Tannehill as much as anyone but he was not good at all today. Hartline should have had 3 touchdowns in this game. Once again the run game was putrid. That 3rd quarter was an embarrassment. We shut them down and have great field position all quarter and still couldn't move the ball.

Clay and Bess both had huge games last week and they had a combined 2 catches today. They can just never be consistent. Tannehill now has 7 TD's through 12 games. I mean, let's pick up the pace here.

This game was absolutely winnable and the offense just didn't do their job. Kudos to the defense, shame on the offense. Frustrating.

MAFishFan, Moves, jw3102 and 3 others like this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Receivers got open. Tannehill just didn't hit them.

Moves likes this.
  3. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Real tough to win at all with a rookie QB, let alone beat the league's best teams.

4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Tannehill has lost the early season magic. He missed some WIDE OPEN throws today and had an overall poor effort.

Not making any excuses for this team this week. Our D played with passion and held on to give us a chance and we couldn't put up points.

What's worse is that we had good field position a couple of times in the 2nd half and couldn't do squat.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Tannehill..uhm...up your game Bro

Anonymous likes this.
  6. Dolphin 12

Dolphin 12 New Member

Oct 5, 2012
    defense played good they did the their job keeping it close offense couldn't do **** against a bad secondary and did not help the offense at all.

7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As I stated in the game thread, you can pick out 5 plays that cost Miami big today, not just the offensive effort.

1) Fields muffing the snap on the punt in the 1st quarter.
    2) The low block penalty that took 4 points off the board on Jones' pick-6.
    3) The roughing the punter penalty. That cost Miami a TD later in the drive.
    3a) The all-out blitz call on defense on the same drive where Welker scored.
    4) The disconnect on the deep pass to Hartline.
    5) The other disconnect to Hartline.

Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, repeat after me:

We need a Wr who can get open deep!

Hurricane likes this.
  9. Dolphin 12

Dolphin 12 New Member

Oct 5, 2012
    did you watch the game? Hartline got opened twice for easy TD going deep

Moves, Vengeful Odin and MikeHoncho like this.
  10. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Not sure if you're joking, lol. Hartline has two TDS today that Tanehill missed.

Moves likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    27 rushes for 101 yards is not putrid. Actually our average per play was better than theirs... 4.7 to 4.2. IMO this was a defensive game from the get go. That was aided by some awful calls by the refs. offense has some signs of improvement there though. Lets recall we were without our "all pro" left tackle. And I don't think we missed him to be honest. IMO the game was decided by the refs and the third down stats. Pats were 7 for 15 in third down effectiveness... we were 3 for 13.

Ophinerated likes this.
  12. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Tannehill couldn't hit the side of a barn today.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

unifiedtheory likes this.
  13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :lol: Well, it is a pretty pathetic group of players on the field that make up the unit. Especially at WR.

The first overthrow to Hartline... man, thats a tough one. It's overthrown, sure... but Hartline gets his fingers on it... another halfstep and he's there. Teams expect their WR's to make that play.

The one to Hartline in the endzone, was tough to tell, but it really looked like there was no real legitimate passing window there for Tannehill. If Hartline can get a little more to the left, since the defender already had his back turned, RT can put that ball in a different spot, Hartline seemed to keep running to the back of the endzone though. I just didnt think there was much of a chance for him to make a play there.

It was a pretty inaccurate showing from Ryan today. I think that's to be expected from a rookie still, against one of the best teams in the league, missing your LT, and having some pretty shady blocking all around too.

With the lack of playmakers on this unit, its tough to get a good read of the QB IMO. He looks promising from what we can see though, more talent, more weapons and a consistent running game, and it could be a real different story.

GMJohnson and dolfan32323 like this.
  14. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hartline got beyond the secondary twice...good throws would have been an additional 14 points. Wouldn't have guaranteed the win but would have made it a lot more exciting. Since Miami doesn't have any speed guys to stretch the defense got to make accurate throws on those plays.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I know.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  16. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Please bro, just don't. I have a man crush on Tannehill but Hartline was WIDE OPEN for 6 points.

Bpk, MAFishFan and Moves like this.
  17. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Your just flat out wrong

18. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I've waited 12 weeks to say anything bad about Tannehill but I can't wait any longer. The kid is just not progressing at the rate of his peers. His stats speak for themselves. 12 games, 7 TDs, 12 INTs, 57% completion, QBR of ~70 after today. Those aren't starter quality numbers in the NFL. He missed some open receivers today and missed some throws a starting NFL QB should be able to make easily. He cost us points 3 times with poor throws and is a large part of the reason we lost this game.

It's not all bad. He makes some plays that make you think he's going to be something special. But today he made a lot of plays that made me think he's going to be nothing special. I would love to continue to make excuses for him like a majority of people here will but it's time to face facts that he's just not getting it done and hasn't all season. The old he needs weapons around him or he needs a WR that can get open complain lose credability when he doesn't get the ball to his weapons or his open receivers when he has the chance.

Bpk likes this.
  19. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hartline got open deep twice and Tannehill overthrew him once, and underthrew him once. That happens, he's a rookie, I get it. However, just about every game we've watched this year, every set of announcers comments on how much Miami struggles to stretch the field. The deep passing game is a combination of Tannehill (who missed two key throws today) and not having someone who can consistently (sorry, that's not Brian Hartline) stretch the field.

Anthony Fasano has all but disappeared as well. As much as people want to say that Matt Moore would've made a difference, you have to remember he had Brandon Marshall as well. It's certainly not all on Tannehill.

I think you also have to look at some of the situations Miami's put themselves in as well. How many times today did Miami run on 1st down and lose yardage? Vince Wilfork absolutely destroyed Richie Incognito on multiple occasions today. Frankly, as many times as Miami shot themselves in the foot, I'm surprised they had the opportunity to be in it with an onside kick at the end.

20. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Effort? Hate on their execution, not their effort.

Stitches likes this.
  21. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah I can't wait till we cut rt

22. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    We should make Matt Moore the highest paid quarterback in the NFL

23. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Explain how I'm wrong.

Bpk likes this.
  24. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I guess RT can do no wrong in your eyes.

Bpk likes this.
  25. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not saying they weren't trying. That's not at all what I meant.

Bpk likes this.
  26. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Yeah, I can't wait till you add something constructive to the thread.

This is what I hate about this forum. The moment you say something negative about a player you have some sarcastic jackass come along and say "Oh I guess we should just cut blah blah blah."

You know, it is possible to point out negative things about a player and his play without wanting to cut them.

Bpk, Moves and djphinfan like this.
  27. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This is something people don't want to hear, but if Moore was our starting QB this year, I think the team would be a much more successful this season. I'm not really knocking Tannehill. He's displayed a lot of good qualities and he's shown he has the potential, in time, for being a good QB. I think he needed some more grooming. I know people don't like that notion, but I think in the long run, we would be happier. We could have had a winning season this year and, at the same time, some good hope for the future. I know some will say that he needed the experience and that it will do the team good in the nearer future and it's ok to sacrifice a season for the long-term, but first off; I always to win first and foremost and I think in the long run, the results could have been better. Not negative about the kid. He's shown some real good qualities, but I just think he needed a bit more time and grooming. Oh well.

Bpk likes this.
  28. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Except all the times they didnt, given the amount of coverage sacks the Pats got.

29. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Seriously yes RT had a couple bad passes in the game but giving up 8+ minute drive when you're down by 1 contributed just as much

The expeectation that RT be perfect iis riduculous. He misse big passes yes but brady missed a couple shoul they cut him?

I@swear that too manyy. Look n say that one or 2 plays cost us the game, whhat about fiels muffing the handle, the 8 minute drive? They dont count right?

30. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Brady 60% completion. Tannehill 46%. Not even close.

31. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    What are you talking about? Tannehill wasn't the sole reason we lost, but the defense played more than well enough to win this game. The offense as a whole just didn't come through.

Bpk and Vengeful Odin like this.
  32. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    And again, I'm Ryan Tannehill's biggest fan. I LOVE the kid, but he was off today.

Bpk and MikeHoncho like this.
  33. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think shouright said this in a different thread and it's spot on. What's the real benefit to having had Matt Moore play this year? Yes, maybe Miami's in contention for a wild-card spot, but let's be honest, he's not going to get you much further than that. People point to his play last year, and he still struggled against some of the top defenses when he started. He also had Brandon Marshall.

Playing him this year would've just prolonged the learning curve that Tannehill was and is facing. You could very well make a case that Miami could be 7-5 instead of 5-7 right now with the first Jets game and Cardinals games. Miami's trying to "win now" while developing Tannehill. And it's clear that this team still has holes. I think you need to keep everything in perspective with Tannehill and hope he can pick up his play down the stretch this year and it carries over into next year. He's certainly shown flashes of play that we haven't seen in a long time. At other times, he's looked like a rookie. That's to be expected.

Has he ever at any point left you thinking, he's not the answer? I'd say that he hasn't (though to be fair I think San Francisco's D could make a lot of people feel that way next week) all things considered.

MAFishFan and djphinfan like this.
  34. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    This. It's ok to criticize his play.

Bpk likes this.
  35. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I see the honeymoon is over for Tannehill. Not his best game, but those two turnovers were killers

36. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can we not accept that Tannehill played poorly in addition to the other mistakes in the game? I think everyone is aware that the 8 minute drive and the muffed punt and the low block penalty on the INT return hurt us. Does Tannehill's poor play not count because of those things?

Bpk likes this.
  37. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The turnovers weren't as frustrating as missing a wide open Hartline twice for touchdowns.

I definitely still believe in Tannehill. And I know he's going to have rookie moments. The offense as a whole needs to step their game up significantly. That includes the run game and the line play as much as it does Tannehill.

Bpk likes this.
  38. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Really? I recall maybe one coverage sack.

Hartline was getting open all day, Tannehill just couldn't find him. Tannehill's accuracy today was terrible from the get go, he wasn't good at all.

The defense did more than enough to win this game, the offense was once again putrid. Personally I think we win the game today if Moore was out there.

39. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Sorry, but thus far, Tannehill has not shown me that he has the makings of a franchise QB. One man's opinion. Others may differ.

40. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What was the turnover aside from the Tannehill fumble?