1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat White's rookie contract, Qb or Wr?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 15, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Normally rookie contracts are slotted by position a player was taken in, with P White, he may not be so easy to slot into a contract because his agent (if he's smart) will try for incentives that include White's time at Qb if he plays there.

That may not make his rookie contract easy to hammer out, Ireland is smart as well and won't go overboard with incentives as White may play just as much time at Rb or Wr as Qb, and should attempt to limit the size of White's contract by designing it more as a Wr one were passing Td's and passing yards won't be as heavily incentivized.

Of course, I could be wrong, but what say my fellow Phinfans?

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Vic, if things get difficult?

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Qb.
    I know it s the offseason padre, but common...:)

padre31 likes this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I got nothin' left in the tank Mark.

5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    haha, I feel ya.
    2 more weeks till TC.
    We'll just have to suck it up and make it :hi5:

padre31 likes this.
  6. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Just pay him what a rookie of the year should get paid:wink2:

7. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Why?
    Id rather pay him nothing, and make him EARN rookie of the year money :wink2:

8. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    it should be like a real job. you have 90 days to either stay on board or get fired. if you stay on board we will pay you what you're worth. and if you work your butt off, you'll get more raises.

PhinsRock, Disnardo and cnc66 like this.
  9. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Agree 100% and there should be a rule of what a rookie is allowed to make.These numbers are getting to be a joke.

PhinsRock and cnc66 like this.
  10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Expect the NFL to do something in the next bargaining agreement to address this lopsided rookie pay, it has gotten out of hand and everyone knows it.

Pat White's contract will likely have incentives in it, but I expect it to be strictly based on him being a QB. Sparano has been very clear where they intend to use Pat. (Smoke screen?)

11. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

I agree,

Unless Mr belichek get him first,he already said he will not rule him out. :no:

12. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

I been crying about this for 2 years and everyone acts like it not a big deal,
    on a side note the guy has B@lls i heard he has not looked good in training camp, I have to say though i loved the pick and hope he lives up to help the dolphins.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Mark my words:
    Pat White will be a starter. Henne may be technically the backup if Pennington goes down but he will not be the sitting backup on the official roster presented before each game because White will be needed to run the WildCat. Henne will sit, Pat will play.
    Wait & see:
    Pennington, White & Henne (dressed out & waiting) in the wings

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I disagree brother. When Pennington calls it quits it will be Henne, White, and another drafted QB. You need Henne to stretch the field with his arm, to give the wildcat more room with White.

PhinsRock likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, that is the script, but when players find a way out on the field and have success, Coaches tend to keep those guys out on the field if that makes sense?

gafinfan and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  16. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I hear you brother. I just don't think Henne is going to sit there and let that happen easily.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly Bro, "if" White wins that job (and that is a long shot) then Henne would make great trade bait, or White maybe.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  18. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think Henne stays and will not be traded. White has to adjust to NFL speed, learn the QB play book and the wildcat, and the RB/WR play books to a certain degree.

padre31 likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Henne doesn't have that much experience either though.

To me, unlike in past regimes, they view the #2 and #3 Qb slots as developmental guys who maybe they can trade, like Green Bay has done over the years.

20. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    True bro, but we know better then anyone else you need at least two really good QB's because look at our past how many we went through. Henne has the playbooks down, and has actually seen some limited NFL action, White has not.

padre31 likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, I'm thinking of the time Romo spent as Dallas #3 Qb, if/when Penny moves on that will be developmental spot.

Which I really like, they are not sastisified with "ol whomever, back up Qb forever in Miami" to me they use ever roster spot and situation to the maximum advantage, they really do leave no stone unturned.

22. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I could see it possibly down the line when we have three young Qb's with great potential that we could possibly look at a trade to help us possibly moving up to get a better player in the draft.:wink2:

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    white will be a starter in the wildcat for 2009, henne will sit & pennington is the starting QB for our conventional offense
    we will not list all three because it would take away from other areas of need, compromising our ability to game plan & compete in the game. it is not necessary

if the three QB's are viable, it can be no other way
    we are not going to open up with 3 QB's @ the expense of other needed areas for a game
    the team will officially go with two QB's on game day with one in reserve

didn't say henne was not the heir-apparent to pennington or that white was even capable of running a conventional offense @ this point in his career
    i said henne would suit up & sit for most of our regular season games. he is not a starter & white will be a starter
    while white was given the roster spot for the game behind pennington

only makes sense, if we intend to use the wildcat:
    if we did not list white behind pennington the week of the game,
    the other team would not have to put in the preparation for an extensive wildcat system
    if pennington goes down, henne is suited up waiting on the bench,
    they can take white out for the rest of the game & insert the awaiting chad henne

Anonymous and gafinfan like this.
  24. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

23 I have to say I agree with you 100%.:up:

25. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Same. Omar Kelly basically said the samething today.

26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    simple:
    1) Chad the Greater is not only the starter of our conventional offense but has become the leader of the team inside & out of the locker room & face of the NewMiamiDolphins:yes:
    2) Pat White was drafted as a starter for the WildCat in 2009 & will captain the the SingleWing/Spread from the get-go. He will be a starter.:up:
    3) Chad the Lesser will remain an understudy & heir-apparent to Pennington, awaiting an opportunity to play.
    4) We will list two QB's :hi5:not three, for every game with few exceptions. If Pennington has to come out of the game Henne can enter, replacing White.:arabia:
    technically, can't bring White in as a receiver if he is going to captain the WildCat i.e. play QB
    also would limit the WR's we could carry in any given game.
    We have to list on on the game roster to force the opposition defense to spend precious time in working on covering a more sophisticate WildCat.
    Wouldn't work any other way. Solution: dress out but sit Henne.