1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat White

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Dolphin1184, Dec 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Where do you guys see Pat White going? Would he be drafted as a WR? Or maybe a QB/RB hybrid? He would be great for a team that uses the wildcat formation to take advantage of his athleticism.

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I'd say 2nd or 3rd round but the Senior Bowl will dictate where he goes.

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You don't think thats a luxury pick so early? He's never going to be a QB in the NFL, and there isn't really a 'slash' offense in the NFL right now like the Steelers used to have. The closest thing I could think of would be the wildcat, but how many teams actually run it? None the way we do.

So pretty much you're talking about a converted QB to WR. I don't care how fast he is, he has never played the position. He probably needs a LOT of work on route running, catching in traffic, blocking, everything.

I'm sure you could use him in certain formations, quick passes, so on. The thing is I don't think he will have enough of an early impact to justify a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Personally I wouldn't touch him until the late 4th round at best.

4. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Why isn't he going to be an NFL QB? He has a better shot than Tim Tebow yet people here want to talk up Tim's chances. Pat delivers the ball with much better timing, steps into his throws and the ball comes out quickly and crisply. He stares down his wideouts too much and needs to learn to look the safety off, but he'll get his chance at the Senior Bowl.

If he ISN'T going to be a QB, then he'll play WR and QB and TB and PR and with the way that offenses are using creative players, he'll become a weapon for someone in the 2nd round area. He's too good.

Stitches likes this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm not one who has talked Tebow up at all. In fact I think White has a better shot at being a pro QB than Tebow does.

I don't believe White has the arm strength or accuracy to be an every down QB though. Also those things you just said he needs to learn....those are far more important than any amount of physical gifts. Easier said than done to just learn them. Thats why I don't think he's a QB.

I don't think a slash type player is worth a second round pick is all. If I need a WR I want a guy who can develope into a #1 target and make plays for me. There are plenty of guys, maybe not as gifted as White, that can fill that role of KR/PR/WR that can be taken later in the draft.

6. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I didn't say you were someone who'd talked Tebow up.

White has more than enough arm strength and as proven all season, he can be deadly accurate. Given the way that the offenses are shifting in pro football, Pat White's time has come at a very opportune moment.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

I know, I just wanted to make it clear I'm not a fan of Tebow as an NFL QB either.

I respect your opinion, but agree to disagree. I think his future is definitely as a WR, and I'm sure he will be used in various roles at other points. Unless I'm an extremely solid team....like the Giants for example, who just could use another big threat I just couldn't justify taking him so early.

I'm just the type of person that goes fundamentals (offensive line, defensive line, so on) before flash.