1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat White Conspiracy theory

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Two Tacos, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Here is my theory, which could be disproved tomorrow.

The Dolphins want to keep White and keep him at QB, but they feel that he needs a lot more work. They don’t have roster space for him, he isn’t close to Thigpen as a 3rd option yet, and with Henne developing and Marshall on the team the “Wildpat” doesn’t make as much sense as last year. Nor was it as effective last year as they had hoped. Big plays should be coming from the base O more often now. On top of that Penny is healthy now, and 4 QBs on the roster isn’t the best thing to do. Penny should be looking at a starting gig next year though. So what to do? The best solution would be to stash him on the practice squad, but how do you get a 2nd round pick last year on the PS. Somebody will be desperate enough to take a shot at him if it looks like he has continued to develop from last year.

I think the answer is to not play him. Don’t let anyone see if he has developed, make signing him a shot in the dark. Then when final cuts come and everyone is scrambling to see who got cut that they have room for, it makes White far less attractive. After, I think the Phins have the right to match any offers before a team signs someone off the PS.

What do you think, foil hat stuff?

2. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Can they move a guy who's played regular roster to practice squad?

Two Tacos likes this.
  3. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I sure hope so, otherwise my theory goes down in flames in like 2 minutes. That'd be some kind of record.

4. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I don't think he is eligible

Two Tacos likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think he was active for to many games to go onto the practice squad TT.

My take on White is he is the type that needs to be "the guy" and when he isn't, his performance doesn't improve, it grows worse.

Now if we want to see conspiracy theories, if they run White on draws and naked bootlegs, if he comes up limping I could easily see him being stashed on the IR.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO stashing him or attempting to stash him on the practice squad is a not a good idea because he will get picked up. They may have not seen how he has played but frankly, I don't think they really mind it. They would pick him up just to see if they can get something out of him. Despite his struggles, we have to remember he still has talent and there was a reason he was a second rounder.

Puka-head, ToddsPhins, Trowa and 2 others like this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My take on the situation: Signing Penny pretty much assured either Thigpen or White would be gone. No reason to keep four QB's. It appears as though since Thigpen is getting most of the reps, he's being showcased. However, it's clear he's a better QB. So why he would shopped over White doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless the plan is to keep White and continue the "Wildpat" experiment, which hasn't gone so well.

These second and third PS games will give us a better idea of what's to come. Armando seems to think White is definitely gone. Guess we'll see.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

White's not eligible. The limit is 8 games played. Once a player is over that number he can't be on the PS. White was in 13 last year.

9. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    The better conspiracy theory IMO is we aren't playing White because we want to keep him and know he has improved. So we play Thiggy and put him in situations to succeed during these preseason games and hope that a team that needs a QB (BILLS for ex.) give us something.

Its all BS we'll see what happens. But Thiggy would get the most compensation. We have Penny at #2 and White at 3. We don't need a Tyler Thigpen he is redundant. White is moldable, Pennington is a solid Vet, and Henne is our starter.

EDIT:
    Sorry i missed that post. This is my point lol. Should have acknowledged this ya. Right on

ToddsPhins and Two Tacos like this.
  10. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    This seems like the most logical explanation.

Thigpen is being showcased. Look around the league. Most teams have really crappy backups. We have 2 solid guys in Penny and Thigpen. Trade Thigpen to the highest bidder, have Penny as the backup, and give Pat another season to show he belongs in the NFL.

You don't give up on a 2nd round pick after only one year. I say that, not as a matter of Ireland saving face, but they saw something so special in him that they used a 2nd on him. Whatever that was, they gotta try to cultivate that for more than one season.

11. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    And the wildcat will be used, Marshall has said they add something new all the time.

Two Tacos likes this.
  12. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Also I dont see Thigpen as a career backup he is young and wants to succeed as a starter. With Henne and Pennington on the roster thats not very realistic. So we get compensation if we can, before he is unhappy and the contract is up.

Pat White while raw may allow us to develop him while we continue to give him a role in special packages (wildcat, spread etc..)

Two Tacos likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ive said before a few times....If you can Flip Thigpen for a higher draft for which you paid, than you do it because Pennington is your backup, and White is your developemental player that you can use in certain situations..

Thats if Penny is gonna be here and not be put on pup or something..

14. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I sure hope there is a conspiracy theory - because otherwise it was not a very well thought out pick. Trading for Thigpen and signing Penny happened without much of a look at White so either they IMMEDIATELY regretted the pick, he was so horrendous they had to find more options or there is some conspiracy going on (conspiracy could just mean they plan on keeping 4 QBs and having him active on gamedays to run WildPat).

Two Tacos and padre31 like this.
  15. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Wow when he say that? I try to stay on everything never heard Marshall talk about the wildcat? Love to here what his take is.

Two Tacos likes this.
  16. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    While Nothing suprises me with this coaching staff, I just can't see 4 qb's. Sparano covets people that can produce reps. He'd be giving up to much in his eyes imo. Id be happy with Thiggy turning into a third round pick, hell even a 4th

PhiNomina and Two Tacos like this.
  17. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Well I dont understand why he was put it CRUCIAL situations last year if they thought he sucked so badly. Seriously, he was put in some HUGE situations. The Jets game on 3rd down when we were down 3 points driving under 3-4 minutes. The 2 pt conversion against TEN. If White has managed to hit some wideouts, Pat, Ronnie, Ricky, and Marshall would be the deadliest formation.

2k5, Trowa, CashInFist and 6 others like this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is my take as well, I've rarely seen a high draft pick receive so few chances to play, but with Tunaphins, they tend to freeze out guys they do not go for.

I also happen to think White is really a Running Back with a decent arm, yet they never really made room for him.

Two Tacos likes this.
  19. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    NOTE: IN emergency situations we have a 3rd or 4th QB already on the team its called the wildcat formation and Ronnie Brown and we can take him to the game. :wink2:

gunn34 and Two Tacos like this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not if he gets injured, again.

21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I would be surprised if this team kept someone on the roster just to mickey mouse him on the practice squad. I don't see them wasting a roster spot on White for this long just to cut him in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't make any sense.

Two Tacos and siciliansith like this.
  22. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Knock on wood please. lol:lol:

23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he sure did...Iam not 100 percent on this one but I think I heard the other day that he worked on handing the ball off.

siciliansith likes this.
  24. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Fake punt? with Matshall lol.

Or wildcat Ronnie to Brandon Marshal pass to Ricky williams for 6! :hi5:

Edit: Im thinking Marshal on a End Around ronnie up the middle and ricky wide open as he goes around the outside lol. My imagination is running wild

25. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    You want to kill White's value
    LET HIM PLAY...

White is NOT available for the practice squad

* Can't have already been on a practice squad for two or more years, although a third year on the practice squad is possible if a player's team has had at least 53 players on the roster during his entire period of employment (players are deemed to have spent a season on the practice squad if they are on it for three of more regular season or postseason games during their first two years and at least one during their third year)

* Do not have an accrued season of NFL experience (six or more games on a team's 53-man roster, injured reserve or PUP list), unless they were on the active list (i.e. were dressed to play) for fewer than nine regular season games during their only accrued season(s)

As for general rules for the practice squad, they are below.

* Teams can have a practice squad consisting of a maximum of eight players (a ninth player can be added if he lives outside of the United States and is not a U.S. citizen)

* Practice squad players make $5,200 per week ($88,400 for a 17-week season) and can only participate in practice (hence the name practice squad)

* Players on the practice squad are free to negotiate with other teams and can be signed to another team's 53-man roster (just like Lydon Murtha was signed by the Dolphins from Detroit's practice squad last year) without compensation to the original team

* If a team signs a player from the practice squad of its next opponent, the move must be made at least six days before the game; players signed from a practice squad also must count against the 53-man roster for three weeks (these rules are in place to prevent teams from signing practice-squad players for a week just to get information on their next opponent; it's still possible, but these rules discourage the practice)

gunn34, siciliansith and Two Tacos like this.
  26. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Another theory on why White isn't playing (from Dave Hyde):

That's a great point. With several receivers (Moore, Turner, Wallace) fighting for that 5th roster spot, it makes sense they'd want Thigpen in there to see what those guys can do in a game situation.

gunn34, padre31 and Two Tacos like this.
  27. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    If we needed one of Thigpen or White to step in and be our qb due to unfortunate circumstances to Henne/Penny, I would take Thigpen every day.

Not only that, you need your backup and third string qb to be able to run a traditional offense in practice throughout the season, from the camp articles White is not proving he can do that well and consistently.

If one had to go, and there was no viable trade for Thigpen, White woudl be the man gone.

The only way i believe he sticks is if they find a different role for him. Sure he can play qb, but not at the NFL level. He has talent, perhaps there's other areas they could try him out at. If not, he'll be gone IMO.

Roster sizes aren't big enough to carry someone who can't contribute regularily both on gameday and practices.

28. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I can understand the idea that there not getting a good look at other guys. But, these coaches watch so much tape they know a drop, bad route, mental mistake and dropped balls. But as ya said Thiggy gives them the best option for evaluation. Hmm interesting concept.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    DDupree and myself were just having that discussion, White missing Sperry is not Sperry's fault but it also means that is one less play for Sperry to be able to show what he can do.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO they see something in White that they feel they can develop. My guess is it was what they saw in college. I don't know what it is since I was against this pick since day 1. But it also seems clear that if he can/will develop, it will be a slow process. I think they will go into the roster meetings considering keeping 4 QBs. Whether they do or not will depend on whether they see talent worth keeping at another position. It may end up being White vs. Turner/Wallace/Pruitt or Ness or Garner/Murtha.

31. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    You guys need to think past THIS year. I don't believe Pennington will stick around past this year - he will be on another team in the offseason. If that is true and we trade Thigpen this year and keep White we would only have White going into the year. I expect White will not make it past the final cut this year. He hasn't improved at all by any account I have read and I keep hearing he's a near disaster whenever he's on the field.

I don't like cutting a 2nd round draft pick after 1 year anymore than anyone else does but he can't play QB and he won't play anywhere else.

32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I have a conspiracy theory about pat white....
    he blows

dolfndav34, Tin Indian and #1 fan like this.
  33. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Lol!!!! Bravo. You've solved the mystery. It was Pat White who killed Pat White's career.

34. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    exactly no conspiracy he is just bad at football and the end is near

35. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't want to hijack this thread but didn't think this warranted a new thread -

What about putting Pat White as a RB on the roster?

He could be active for gamedays without making Penny/Thigpen have to use the 3rd QB rule. This would allow the WildPat to remain in the offense (as mentioned earlier - it was used in HUGE situations last year so the FO must have SOME faith).

Our RB depth is great with Ronnie, Ricky and Cobbs. We would probably lose Hilliard, but, in theory, the WildPat would have more impact than Hilliard. Not to mention Polite has good hands and could probably serve as a RB in an emergency. Finding a 4th RB if there is a string of injuries isn't incredibly difficult (especially with our OL).

If White blossoms you have the luxury of moving Thigpen for a pick next year. If he doesn't, you are only really out Hilliard and can draft someone in the next draft.

36. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Somebody break his leg please . . . JK :lol:

37. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    If your gonna use him sure but if not we still give up a roster spot for a player thats seldom used. If ya make him a qb you can use him like last year as a option player at qb #2 and activate Pennington from the 3rd qb spot if henne goes down. This would accomplish your goal and still allow us to bring a additional player to the game. We don't need 4 qbs.

38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i have a feeling pat white may "get hurt" tomorrow and be placed on season ending IR :shifty::shifty:

:king:

39. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Im gonna put my money on Thiggy getting shopped/shipped out for a 4th

40. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I've heard the theories that he'll be cut soon, and I don't buy it. I've heard the theories that Thigpen is being showcased, and I don't buy it. The most likely scenario to me is that Pennington will be put on PUP to start the season. That gives us 6 additional weeks to make a decision on a cut/trade etc. A lot can happen in 6 weeks. God forbid, but one of our QBs could end up on IR in those 6 weeks making the decision a moot point. The over arching point here is, I don't think anyone is going anywhere just yet.

PhiNomina likes this.