1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat Kirwan on Ryan Mallett

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KB21, Apr 21, 2011.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    If this has already been posted, then just ignore it. I don't recall seeing this on here previously though.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...-decision-upon-further-review?module=Draft_CP

Physically and mentally, this guy is the complete package. He just jumps out at you on film. His physical ability to throw the ball with accuracy down the deep middle, the deep corners, and on shallow crosses jumps off the film, and mentally, he shows that he understands calling protections, check-with-mes, and presnap reads. He is by far the most advanced passer in this draft. In fact, the only passer in college football that may have been more advanced was Andrew Luck, and it is questionable whether Luck has had the responsibility at the line that Mallett has had.

Before the college season started, I told people that Luck and Mallett were the top two quarterback prospects in college football. After a while of trying to convince myself otherwise on Mallett, I am back to my original stance on him. Ryan Mallett is the best quarterback prospect in this draft by far. No one is close. It is Ryan Mallett, and it is everyone else.

This is who I want at 15, and I would be very tempted to trade up to get him.

Stringer Bell, dukane5, RGF and 10 others like this.
  2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I agree....we need to trade up ahead of Minnesota for a shot in my opinion. Im at the point where I would almost sell out for the kid. I think he's gonna special....

3. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I think Minnesota is all in on Jake Locker at this point. They are one of the foolish teams that value mobility in a quarterback and think they can improve someone's accuracy and passing skills, but I'm also hearing that if Locker isn't there, they may go with a defensive end.

4. Zanno

Zanno Junior Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redskins and Mallett?

The Rev likes this.
  5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I've heard that as well... doesn't fit the mold that Shanahan likes but then again, it's the redskins.

6. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Maybe, but unlikely. He isn't Shanahan's type of quarterback.

gafinfan and Zanno like this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Ponder > Mallett

8. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Joke?

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  9. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Ponder is good, but he doesn't have Mallett's ability to attack the vertical areas of the field outside the hash marks. Those throws are tough for him to make. He throws with good touch down the deep middle and can anticipate his throws on the short to intermediate outs. When he tries to throw the outside seam routes though, the ball tends to hang up in the air on him.

I like Ponder. He's probably number two on my board right now after spending a while at number one while I was still trying to decide on Mallett. I watched his game against Miami in 2009, and Ponder was filthy good in that game.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  10. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

I've heard Mallet to the "skins as well.
    I think that whomever the Redskins do not choose (locker or Mallet), then Minnesota will take. IMO.

KB, are we liking Mallet over Ponder, now?

11. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I thought that too but Kyle Shanahan built an effect offense in Houston with an immobile Schaub at QB. The fact that Shanahan's son is the OC will probably play into effect here too. If Kyle wants Mallett over Locker I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan goes with Mallett.

Stringer Bell, Boik14 and Muck like this.
  12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes. The character issues give me an ulcer, but on the field, yes.

The Rev likes this.
  13. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    The thing with Mallett and the Skins is they have been doing significant DD on him and are considering him at 10 (according to Lombardi). As much as Shanahan likes mobility, he also likes a big arm. Couple this with the report a week or so ago that Dallas already has a trade in place with a team in in the mid first round (if their target is there). Let's hope it's us and the target is Mallett.

KB21 likes this.
  14. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Can you self-medicate? :wink2:

15. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    We all know Mallett likes to self-medicate!

The Rev likes this.
  16. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Let's also hope we have a contingency plan in place if we can't deal up and Mallett is not there, and let's hope that the contingency plan is not to take Colin Kaepernick with the 15th pick.

There has to be a contingency plan though. No matter how we feel about Chad Henne or the situations he was put in last year, I just don't see anyway possible this organization can bring him back as the starter considering that they tried to bench him twice last year and have gone out of their way to not give him a vote of confidence this offseason.

Boik14 and texanphinatic like this.
  17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Already on nexium. Great med! I wish they would quit coming up with reasons not to take a PPI.

The Rev likes this.
  18. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Speculation on Washington and Locker:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../20/AFzW5fFE_blog.html?wprss=football-insider

Speculative, but they are simply drawing the fit based on Shanahan's history. Maybe they will go in another direction and go with Mallett though. It would be the smarter move.

Gruden is off his rocker if he thinks accuracy can be improved by just working on fundamental things. Jake Locker simply doesn't have natural accuracy, and he lacks a feel for the passing game.

19. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I know a lot of internet hacks have this guy going in the 2nd round. I don't buy it. As Michael Lombardi says...talent trumps all. Besides I thinks the off-the-field issues are overblown.

The issue I do see are all the landmines in the top-10. I can see him going to Cincy, Arizona, SanFran and Tennessee...all before the Dallas pick (if there is a trade in place). I don't see him making it to 15.

As a fallback option, if he checked out medically, I see Ponder as the guy. I don't see him as the passing dynamo that Mallett is but at least he looks like a pro QB.

Boik14 likes this.
  20. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I am warming up to Mallet, simply because I have had that gut feeling months ago that he was going to be the best NFL quarterback out of this years draft. I really like Mark Ingram, but Mallet would be my 2nd choice and I wouldn't be upset with the pick at all.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think this decision will come down to preference of skillset, highest upside, Character, Leadership..That does not equal Ryan Mallett to me, but to each its own..

I will say that I think the kid may of learned some valuable lessons and might turn out to be good, Iam just not willing to take that chance, he can be good for someone else, not my style..

I want a QB who sets the example for the team..Ryan Mallett has a long way to go before he becomes that.

22. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I like Ingram, but I just wouldn't take a running back in the first round. If Mallett is gone, I'm looking at Christian Ponder and offensive linemen.

23. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    It might be true that they're basing the fit on Shanahan's history, but there have been rumors of Shanahan's admiration of Locker going all the way back to last year, so there may just be something there.

24. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Don't you want a quarterback that will be able to make presnap reads, protection calls, change the play at the line, and beat teams with his arm from the pocket within the next couple of years given the situation the Dolphins are in though? Because if you do, then your guy is not the guy to take.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  25. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Much of what you referenced is based on conjecture, hearsay and internet BS. Those close to him (coaches and teammates) have vouched for him. Not sure what more you want.

By all accounts, he has great football acumen and is a student of the game...actually this is the example I'd love set for this team.

26. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    If you remember...there was this guy some 30 years ago named Marino who reportedly had "character issues" off the field too.

PSG and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  27. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I like Ponder, he can be a Pennington type leader and player

Mallett can be so much more.

Boik14 and gafinfan like this.
  28. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I think Ponder has a higher ceiling than that. Pennington type leader, yes. But as a player, he can be better.

Conuficus likes this.
  29. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I was a fan in 1983 and some of the same negative things were being said about Dan Marino as those being said about Mallett now. No, Mallet does not compare to Dan Marino, but who does? He does have some comparable skills though. If we had listened to the press in 83, Marino may have reset the record books for someone else. Of course he may have had a Super Bowl victory to his credit too.

30. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I certainly hope that Mallet is selected before the Dolphins draft. While Mallet may have a strong arm. He doesn't have the movement in the pocket needed in the NFL. I also have to question his character. He was not a great leader or team mate at Arkansas or Michigan. He was arrested for DUI a few years ago and he has admitted to using drugs while in college. Henne has a strong arm and yet some people would like to see the Dolphins draft Mallet, who appears to be another Ryan Leaf waiting to happen. I agree Henne needs to be replaced, but I would rather the Dolphins draft Dalton or even Ponder before considering drafting Mallet. The best thing that can happen to the Dolphins is that another team who drafts before them in the first round will be stupid enough to draft Mallet. My biggest fear is that Mallet will still be on the board and the Dolphins will take him. If this should happen, all it would mean is that the Dolphins will be using their first pick in 2012 on a QB who can actually start in the NFL.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    KB, just because he hasn't done it as much doesn't mean he can't, or have the upside to learn quickly right?..To me I want upside that is put in a guy with great measurables and intangibles, I can wait a little bit..

Let me ask you this..Sparano now has final say as to what kind of QB he wants, and what type of offense hes gonna go with...My feelings are strong that he didn't have a say in those two depts as a first year head coach picked by Toro...

My question to you is what kind of offense do we think he wants to run?, I mean I believe I read somewhere that he ran a pretty versatile motion offense when he was at New haven {I couldn''t find any details}, He also went out and hired an offensive coordinator that had much versatility and movement at the position, moreso than most in the league..

Daboll must of had an opinion on drafting colt mccoy ya know, hell of an athletic QB..

Also he was a coach when Romo was having success running around and slingin it..

These variables do not scream Ryan Mallett to me... They scream CKap, which is what I would do as well based on talent and upside..There might be a leaning curve there but so what, it seems he has the intellectual capacity and natural accuracy to learn it..In the meantime we can design a simple precision motion type offense capitolizing on his talents while hes learning that side of the game..

32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    did you watch Gruden QB camp where John was grilling him for not making the right protection calls or adjust his protection at the line?

33. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I didn't see that at all. I saw Gruden talking about how the goal for him would be to have a clean pocket and hightlighted three plays, only one of which was actually Mallett's fault. I do see a QB that dropped back to pass the football 436 times last year and was sacked only 25 times, and he called his own protections at the line on every pass play. He didn't avoid sacks because his line was good. He avoided them because he more often than not called the right progression and was able to either get rid of the ball before the rush got to him or was able to side step the rush and make the throw.

Boik14 and gafinfan like this.
  34. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I doubt Daboll had much say on McCoy, and I'm not convinced that McCoy will be Cleveland's long term guy anyway. At this point in time, Colt McCoy is a very overrated quarterback.

However, everything that I've heard from the Dolphins suggest that they want to run a Patriots style offense. Last time I checked, Tom Brady is a very different QB to Colin Kaepernick. I've seen nothing that suggests to me that Miami wants to run a more movement oriented passing game. With Colin Kaepernick, you would HAVE to put him in a situation where he has limited reads to make and very few responsibilities at the line if you want him to play early, and you are talking about teaching a QB who has never played in a pro style offense how to play the position from the ground up. It's going to be much more than a 2-3 year project.

35. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm what would you need to run a Patriots style offense? Could it be a guy that can fling the deep ball all over the field and is more of a pocket passer. Oh and did I mention play action? He can run it, Henne can't. They love play action, they're obsessed with it.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam going with my gut because I see natural QB instincts and accuracy..The upside of this player is fantastic if he can get it..hes worth it to me to take the shot.

37. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Without free agency, there will definitely be some interesting calls made. Which QB does Carolina go with? Does Buffalo, Cinci or Zona take one? If you have say Gabbert at 4-5-6 I bet the Skins look to make a move up. Cards and Vikes both clearly need a QB, but I think both would prefer to go with a vet - the Vikes especially are set up to make a run, but their defense is aging fast, I don't know if they wait for a rook. They will need to make a call to go with a rook or wait and see in regards to Bulger, Kolb, McNabb, Flynn.

I could very easily see scenarios where both Mallett and Locker are gone at 15, and scenarios where both are available still. There is no questioning Mallett's arm, he can make the throws as well as you can want. Just need to leave it to Ireland to sort through his personality and see if he can be the guy or not.

gafinfan likes this.
  38. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Buffalo and Cincy won't take QBs. Arizona wants Marc Bulger when free agency begins, and yes, there will be a free agency at some point. Gabbert's safety net appears to be Washington at 10, though they could go squirrely on us and take Locker or Julio Jones.

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is true, however Free Agency could start a week before the season.

40. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Mallet would be an absolute waste of a pick here in Miami. With a green QB coach, subpar offensive playcaller, and a run-first head coach you might as well just flush the first round pick straight down the toilet. Our offensive coaching staff is one of the very worst in the league.

He doesn't offer a substantial improvement over what Chad Henne once was. And we all know how that romance ended.

The best QB in this class for Miami is McElroy. He is Pennington-esque, cerebral, a hard worker, and a natural leader. Given some time, he will succeed here despite the coaching staff. He's probably the only QB in the draft you can say that about.

Ireland can pick defensive with the very best of them, that much is certain. Even if you get a boring defensive end or linebacker, you're assured they will be productive here.

The best scenario I see for this team is drafting defense and a young developmental QB like McElroy. Sparano and Co. get canned at the end of the season (maybe Ireland stays) and we go from there.