1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pass on this crop of QBs in NFL draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    With the exception of defensive backs, no one is very excited about this year's NFL draft class of quarterbacks. The only player who clearly deserves to be a first-round pick in the estimation of many scouts is Boston College's Matt Ryan. The worst part about this quarterback class is the depth--or lack of it.

Here, based on consultation from NFL scouts and game-tape evaluation, is how I rank the quarterbacks.

First round

1. Matt Ryan, Boston College
    He isn't as naturally gifted as some of the quarterbacks who typically go at the top of the draft, but Ryan is talented enough. And his intangibles--poise, field presence, toughness, competitiveness, leadership and intelligence--more than make up for whatever he may lack physically. Said one NFC general manager: "He has [ Tom] Brady-like qualities in terms of leadership and intelligence, and he sees pressure coming in the pocket like Brady. That excites me." If Ryan fails, it will be because his team fails him.

Second round
    2. Joe Flacco, Delaware: Teams are understandably a little apprehensive about this prospect from a non-BCS school because he hasn't been challenged like his BCS-school brethren. There also are questions about his ability to lead and the likelihood it will take him time to acclimate to the pro game. But Flacco, a transfer from Pittsburgh, has plenty of ability. This big passer is slow-footed, but he reacts to pressure well. He has a strong, accurate arm. He is calm and knows what to do with the ball.

3. Brian Brohm, Louisville: He was considered the top prospect in the country before the season, but the more scouts studied him, the more they backed off. Still, Brohm is the second-ranked quarterback on most boards and has a chance to go in the first round. Brohm has a quick release and a strong, accurate arm. But he does not always react well when he is under pressure and is forced to improvise. Buyer beware.

4. Chad Henne, Michigan: Like Ryan, Henne impresses with his intangibles. He's exceedingly courageous and thus the kind of player a team wants in the middle of its huddle. Henne can make all the throws, but his instincts are questionable. His athleticism is average. The biggest problem he has is inconsistency.

LINK to rest of story
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-draftqb041708,0,7093129.story

2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    It is really interesting to me why Brian Brohm's stock has fallen from where it was last year. When you look at his stats he improved across the Board:
    Comp YDS TD INT YRD/COMP
    2006 63.6% 3,049 16 5 9.74
    2007 65.1% 4,024 31 12 8.51

Now, I know it is hard to compare QB's especially when they are on very different teams and conferences, but Brohm's stats are better in every category I mentioned above except yards (You have to account for the fact Ryan threw over 650 passes last year).

I am not saying Brohm is better, I am just questioning why he is considered to be so far below Ryan. He may not have the stongest arm like Ryan, but he consistently gets the job done.

3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If we take a qb, I hope it is FLACCO.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Interesting that so many people say that Flacco is slow. ESPN did a skills competition and Flacco was the fastest in the competition where they had to scramble and throw. He can take a hit, and judging by his game footage he can run when he needs to. He may be a project but I'd say he's the most physically gifted of all the QB's in the draft.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    If we get Flacco with our 2nd rounder I will be very, very happy. He has the most upside of any QB and with Beck and McCwn here, he could be given two full years to get used to the pros

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'd take Flacco or Henne depending on whos there 2nd 2 rounder. If we dont take a qb tho i wont be disappointed, lots of more pressing needs.

7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'll say it, Brohm is better and will be a better pro than Ryan.

like2god and azfinfanmang like this.
  8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    And IMO, that is like saying: " Roseann Barr is hotter than Rosie OPhat"
    :up:

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Basically it boils down to the fact that he eerily reminds a lot of scouts of Joey Harrington. Brohm throws a wonderfull ball if given time, but his delivery gets all messed up when he's getting pressured and he tends to panic, releasing way too quick and making throws and checks he shouldn't make. Truth to be told, I was very high on Brohm during his senior year and am among those who are hesitant now. I'm not a big fan of Ryan either, but he handles pressure a lot better.

Generally speaking, I believe that the team that does draft Brohm and expects him to start right away or in the course of the season will be in for an unpleasant surprise. The kid needs time and a solid offensive line, otherwise you'll likely end up with the second coming of the Piano Man.

10. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    please.. no qb's until day two.

PhinsRock, like2god and azfinfanmang like this.
  11. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He also reminds a lot of scouts of Drew Brees. I don't like what he does under a rush like in the Rutgers games, but this kid will be good.

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Yep, and late in day two at that..:up:

like2god likes this.
  13. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

If this is true, he must have have a pretty good o-line to put up the 65% completion rate, and only throw 12 int's in over 650 attempts. I haven't seen many of his games, but the ones I saw he looked pretty good. Wasn't he expected to be a top-flight qb last year if he came out? I think he and Henne will be the two most successful of this year's group.

14. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    why even bother drafting a QB at all. Might as well wait for free agency and take anthony morrelli, t.c ostrander or sam keller. if you're not going to draft someone to legitamately compete with Beck and McCown then why waste the draft pick when we can use it on at least seven different positions

15. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I was very high on him last year and still am to a point but now feel that Brohm is best suited for a short to intermediate west coast offense. I think he would flourish in that type of offense. Any other type and I feel the problems you brought up along with his arm strength will give him trouble. Add in the fact that in a vertical offense he would get hit more often and he seems to be a little injury prone.

16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

we only need a QB in the later rounds, one who we can develop over a couple years and who could step in as a backup if beck and my son Josh go down (heaven forbid). Flynn would suffice for me, Henne or Flacco would be fine but ONLY if they fell really far, like to the 3rd round, which just isn't likely to happen IMHO.