1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parcell's goes into the HoF, will you think of him as a Dolphin?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 22, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I've been slowly trying to collect the autographs of Miami Hall of Fame players and had to ponder Bill Parcell's and his roll in Miami and our turnaround.

I think of Tuna as a Giant's Head Coach, but if we win with him as VP of football operations, I'll have to think of him as a Dolphins Architect who led us out of the post Shula doldrums.

What say you?

PhinsRock, gafinfan and Bpk like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Giants HC.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mostly, if we win though, say make it to the AFC Championship Game, I'll have to move him over to the "Dolphins Keeper" column.

4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Giants.. he won a SB there.

opfinistic and steveincolorado like this.
  5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Giants yes...But if he wins us a SB, I might change my mind. :yes:

6. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Giants, no doubt about it

7. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Giants.

8. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I grew up in NJ and was (and still am) a Giants fan too. As a HC, thats the only way I see him, or want to remember him by.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No matter what he does here he won't go into the hall "Because" of it.

However I consider him a Dolphin sure.

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I will consider him a Dolphin.

The rest of the football world will remember him as the Giants head coach when all is said and done.

11. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    The football world will think of him as the Giants Head Coach, the man who brought winning back to the Giants organization.

However, three other fan bases (I exclude Dallas cause Dallas fans are a-holes) will think of him in three other lights.

New England fans will think of him as the guy who turned the Patriots around, sending them to a Super Bowl before losing to the great, Brett Favre.

Jet fans, myself included, will think of him as the man who took a team that was 4-28 in the previous two years before he started coaching us to the AFC Championship Game in his second year. 30 minutes from the Super Bowl. The Jets have since made the playoffs more times in the decade of 1999-2009 than in any other decade in franchise history, thanks to the pieces Parcells left in place.

And in Miami, if you continue to improve while he's there, you'll think of him as the guy who came in and shook things up and got the team/organization back on track to winning ways.

12. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'll remember him for all the different positions he had with all his teams. He won't be in the Hall of Fame because he won a Superbowl with the Giants. He'll be in the Hall of Fame because he's Bill Parcells.

We're as much a part of his legacy as any other team.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well said.

IMHO, you just know Parcell's dearly wants to beat out Belicheck's Patriot's Squad, all these years and the competitive fires surely have not went out.

gafinfan and Bpk like this.
  14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Is Cris Carter a Dolphin?

:) I'm being an ***.... obviously I think Parcells is more remembered for his stint with the Giants than anything else. That said, another poster made the great point that Parcells is an entity/organization unto himself. He has moved a lot and had a lot of success everywhere.

If the Dolphins win a Superbowl under his guidance, it will cement his legacy as a guy who got it done at ALL levels, from coach to front office.

gafinfan and djphinfan like this.
  15. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Thruman Thomas is :))
    But Giants HC.
    No doubt.

16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    why would I think of him as a Dolphin when he's a Tuna?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Has to be as a Giants head coach.
    But I like the point Larry Little made. He could go in the Hall because he excelled as a coach and as a VP. He turned around 5 teams and led them the right way.

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I agree as a HC it's the Giants, but as a football genius, it is his combined body of work, Giants, Pats, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins. He left each team better off than when he took them over.

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the Tuna is a Fish

20. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Like most, I think of him as the guy who coached the Giants to 2 Super Bowl wins in 8 years.
    However, if he can equal or surpass those accomplishments during his time here, then I'll also remember him a Dolphin.

On the other hand, he does deserve credit for leading the way to our historic turnaround.

21. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I don't know.

The HOF honors a "career". Who cares he won a Superbowl as the NYG head coach. He's accomplished so much after that as well. Is he only going into the HOF because of his Superbowl win? I think not, it is that compounded with his success afterwards that led him to the HOF, including what he did here in Miami so far.

We have every right to think of the HOF Parcells as our architect. The NYG fans have every right to think of Parcells as their architect, HC.

It is all a matter of preception to me.

22. anlgp

I like how you left out the Jets and the Patriots :lol:

Frumundah Finnatic and Tone_E like this.
  23. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    There's really no wrong answer here. Padre31 asked what "you" will think of him as. Some will remember him as Giants head coach or other. I'll remember him as a guy who did a lot of stuff in the NFL, but mostly for what he did for our beloved Dolphins.

padre31 likes this.
  24. anlgp

I agree.

If we get a SB that'll be the first thing I remember him as; but I'll also remember him one of the better persons to run a football operation that I've ever seen.

It seems like every team he goes to at very least gets turned around and pointed in the right direction if not a super bowl win.

He went out on a limb years ago and started drafting the 3-4 when no one else was drafting it (after the orange crush defense of the broncos, etc etc) and now it has surged back into popularity with 12/13 teams trying to run it or a hybrid defense with it.

25. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hear hear, "yes" most NFL fans will think of him as a Giants HC and a Super Bowl winner, however as a Dolphins fan, imho, he is "our" guy.

When the thread goes up that says "Bill Parcells inducted into the Professional Football Hal of Fame" there will be those who say "he's a Giants HC" or Pats fans who say "He's a Patriots Head Coach" or even Jets fans who say "He is a Jets Head Coach" or even Cowpokes fans who say "He led us out of the post JJ era Head coach".

All true, however the Big Tuna did his best work down in the Sunshine State, with a team that 1-15 and then went 11-5 with a irascible former offensive line coach.

They all can claim Parcells, no franchise owes him as much as a once downtrodden Dolphin Franchise does, Tuna is the only NFL guy who became involved with the Dolphins that "the" Don Shula would tip a hat to...

27. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I doubt I'll remember him as a Dolphin.
    Plus, I give the credit to Sparano for the team turn around. I don't know all that much about drafts etc. But, I do know he has coached very well and I hope he stays with us for years.

28. anlgp

you don't say?