1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parcells and the draft propoganda machine?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by finyank13, Jan 21, 2010.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have seen some mocks that have Denver taking McClain, some that have Miami taking him, and some that have him going top-10. So you have to think McClain is slotted RIGHT NOW between 10-13. Lets say this guy blows up the combine, he could be the "fast climber" and see his way into the top-10. In any event, if that doesn't happen, Denver IMO is the major adversary in blocking Miami from getting him......Could Parcells be trying to drum up some pub on Spiller in an effort to get a lower team to bite?? Or do you think he is serious about possibly taking him at 12? Consider the quote...any thoughts from the draft guru's??

According to beat writer Armando Salguero, the Dolphins are "impressed" with Clemson RB C.J. Spiller.

Salguero also "wouldn't be surprised if" the Broncos draft Spiller, despite Denver having used last year's 12th overall pick on Knowshon Moreno. So take this with a grain of salt. Salguero notes that Spiller's durability "especially" appeals to Fins VP of football operations Bill Parcells. Miami remains far more likely to use its top pick on defense than a tailback.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've never believed in that kind of stuff actually existing to any significant degree besides inherent secretiveness involved in the process. They've got a lot of work to do that precludes game playing.

3. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I actaully believe that McClain's stock may actually be hurt by the combine for some teams, as well as some Draft Gurus.
    The kid doesn't have the greatest straight line speed, and really isn't the quickest. Not sure how he will do in other events, but the 40's and cone seem to be the biggest drill there.
    Regardless he probably still slots out to the same position in the draft, because I don't see him getting past both the Broncos and Fins. All depends how the Brandon Marshall situation plays outs, but even then no one knows what McDaniels is thinking.
    But I also believe pick 10 is about his ceiling due to bad positional value and the lack of 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us. He is not rated nearly as high 4-3 LB as a 3-4 ILB.

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You don't think that getting another team who is in your draft vacancy to believe that you could possibly take someone other than who you really want doesn't exists?? It really isn't game playing, it is part of the draft process....

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I agree McDaniels' unpredictability will be huge in this...

6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    It happens all the time
    its called a smoke screen :up:

finyank13 likes this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we will draft an ILB. who? nobody knows

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    what's up Yank....Well, lets see what they do with ronnie, that should pretty much tell us what the "dealie is yo"...no ronnie, spiller's on the board in a big way..Do you know if we have to make a decision about ronnie by a certain time?

I aslo disagree with Armando about the broncos being interested, it makes no sense, with Knowshon and Royals on the team, who is a dynamic returner in his own right.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    like dez bryant, cj spiller would be an acceptable alternative if mcclain is gone. i could see us drafting spiller though i dont think it would be our first choice

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Spiller=all the explosiveness of a Wr without the risk.

What that would mean for Ronnie Brown is anyone's guess.

11. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think Bill Parcells would have to be doing his best Stevie Wonder impression if he WASN'T impressed with CJ Spiller. How could you not be?

As for McClain, I actually think his straight line speed is very good. Watch him run down Jeff Demps to the corner in the SEC Title game. Demps has 10 second 100m skills to his name. Where McClain will suffer is in the drills where he's asked to change direction quickly because THAT'S where he struggles. Unless he runs very badly then he should go off the board between the 7-13 area. That's his value.

You also have to see what system Miami is set to run under Mike Nolan. If it's a two gap, that's less conducive to McClain and his inability to get off blocks consistently head on. If it's a one gap system, which is what Nolan tends to run, sort of, along with a decent amount of 5-2, then that suits him better. And of course, you have to ask whether being uncovered in a 3-4 is the best fit for him, given Alabama's propensity to funnel traffic towards him, keeping him unmolested by offensive linemen as Cody sits in front of him.

He's a terrific linebacker, but Miami will be asking some of these questions between now and April.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    nada bro, somethings that could change, is yes they deal Brown, then I could see Spiller, but personally even then they should wait...RB's are usually easier to find, alla like a Shonne Green.......also what if McClain is off the board, and Denver is calling up about that 12th spot for Brandon Marshall....Do you answer big man!!!!!?!?!?!?!? Play GM djphinfan, Mc's off the board the phone rings, it is that offer, dj says.......? I wouldnt mind Thomas either at 12...boomer?!?!

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Love it Boom, always a pleasure to hear ya mate......u think the talent level he has at the first training camp decides what system he runs? or does he have one in mind, then gets the talent to suit it...?

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    What are the options? McClain off the board and the phone rings for Marshall at 12? Not for me chief. I'd sit tight and either take Bryant if he's there or man up that defense. Thomas is a good place to start. As is Jared Crick. I'd want a piece of one of those outside guys like Graham and I'd be sniffing hard around Weatherspoon. Most of all I'd have my file marked 'Jason Worilds' handy if he makes the sort of ascenscion that's predicted.

15. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think he likely runs the one gap as that's what we've been running but his system is predicated on blitzing, mixing the 5-2 and a ball hawk in the safety. It's why Cameron Wake must be moist looking at what Nolan did for Dumerville. And I'd be surprised if we started the season with two run defending strong safeties at free and strong safety.

ssmiami likes this.
  16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    All I keep hearing about is Graham, and W-Spoon....some people say Worilds is injury prone, and truth??

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    And of course that's Jared Odrick of PSU not the undeclared Crick!

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends, but that is the right question to ask, we pick 12, the players are pretty much sorted out at that point, the real question is, what are our largest needs/wants?

Ireland surprised everyone with going Vontae at #25, and White at #43, who knows what they perceive as our needs this time around?

19. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Graham is ferocious off the corner and a 60 minute guy. Worilds is the same. No lost causes in his game, he's fast and can drop in coverage. I don't think he's injury prone.

finyank13 likes this.
  20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Well I think our needs in year 3 are easier to gauge than in years one and two. And I don't think going CB in round 1 was much of a surprise to anyone. And it wasn't like White came out of the blue.

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I was saying that on other thread about how the biggest benefactor of this might be Cameron Wake....if that's the case right, and maybe you get JT back for cost, Wake picks up Porter's playing time, if he is cut, rotates if he isnt.......and then lets say there isn't a LB worthy of 12, after McClain.....I would think all points to Thomas....

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nothing points to Thomas. Many things pointed to so-so player for the last three years and that did not come to fruition. We would have Chris Long, Brady Quinn, and Clint Sintim if that were the case.

If anything I expect the pick to be Dez Bryant. Right now all points to McClain, Bryant, or a trade down. The worst-case scenario man could be Thomas.

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Pads u think its a surprise with VD???? I was kinda hoping for VD....I know last year alot of mocks were saying Harvin, which would have been nice, but IDK, I didnt really think it was a legit shot of Miami drafting him, and you could say the need at WR was just as much last year, as this year.....you think thats the same with Bryant this year?? Basically is Bryant that much better of a prospect than Harvin that if there, Miami takes him over say Thomas or anybody else, Graham, Worilds..etc..

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    That low on Thomas? I admit, I wasnt impressed much after the BCS game, but I looked back at the other games played, on some of the websites that break his game play down....the kid is a baller...very fast covers the whole field sideline to sideline...I would like it if they picked him over Bryant...

25. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He's the third-man that's not a poor ranking for him. I don't think he had a bad championship game.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Conventional wisdom was we would go OLB at #25...and could have had Defensive ROY Matthews at #25..

27. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Every year, every team does its best to mislead everyone else. It's one of the best uses of smoke and mirrors that one could possibly witness.

I'm convinced and have been for quite some time that Armando is nothing more than a parrot who simply mimics what someone people tell him. He never doe's any research or what he does do of it is very limited as evident in the amount of mistakes that are generally riddled throughout his articles. I think he's a decent enough human being but my respect for him as a journalist and sports writer are severally lacking.

As for taking a running back early I just don't see it. Well Let me say It's necessity lacking what measured against the teams other needs. With the Oline we have in place this team should be able to find productive backs in the later rounds.

finyank13 likes this.
  28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Totally I love Matthews man...but VD will be excellent as well.....I have higher hopes for him than Smith.....Sean turn you head when the ball is thrown!!!!!!!! Get your head around!!!

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I find Mando and Omar Kelly to be more opinion than fact....

LandShark13 likes this.
  30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sean...get your hands on him and sling him dowwnn! SEANNN!!!

:lol:

That boy just is not a fan of tackling, it may be better if just learned how to ankle tackle and sling people down rather than form tackle because that puppy is not biting...

finyank13 likes this.
  31. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Wasnt it Cushing who was DROY? Both he and Matthews played very well though.

As for Spiller, he would add some serious speed and playmaking ability to this offense. While not the first choice, if Bryant and McClain are gone, Id have a hard choice to decide between Spiller and Thomas.

32. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    As I said he doesn't ever seem to research his stuff. A good case in point, one where he not only could have done his own research but as a professional sports writer should have held himself accountable and done so. Was his blog on the dolphins O-line. He simply chose the easy rout and wrote it as if it was fact when all it was was someone elses opinion.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That's right, Matthews made the pro bowl he didn't win ROY.

34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The reason I say no to Spiller, besides that they could find RB elsewhere, he would be getting good first round money, and splitting time...if they dont trade Brown, he is 3rd at best, 4th if Hillard beats him out....the FO is high is Lex, they like his style, they wont just give Spiller the one 3rd spot cuz he is a 12 pick.....if Brown gets traded then turn my 3's into 2's and the 4 into 3...which still for 1st round money...doesnt make that much sense....where it makes sense is if they trade Ronnie, and Ricky leaves/retires/smoke dope again, then yeah Spiller all the way, the chances of that happening before April are slim to none....Thomas could come in and unseat the FS position right away....

35. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Why not Spiller? Didn't Tuna really like Harvin last year? Everyone here keeps talking about a play maker and he surely is one. The one thing I've learned about this FO is to expect the unexpected!

I can't wait to see just what they will do!:up:

padre31 and texanphinatic like this.
  36. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Lex and Cobbs cant hold a candle to Spillers ability.

skippysphins, gafinfan and Stitches like this.
  37. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I'd hardly call Earl Thomas the 'worst case scenario' and I certainly wouldn't say 'nothing points to Thomas'.

38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    not everyone was surprised by the vontae pick...I know myself and a few others here correctly predicted it.

skippysphins and adamprez2003 like this.
  39. SJ2100

SJ2100 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    But Thomas actually is the worst case scenario, which is a great thing IMO. While it still is VERY early, I think for now we can assume the following players will be picked before 12:

Suh, McCoy, Bradford, Clausen, Berry, Okung

Leaving 5 of the following guys coming off the board before we go:
    Morgan, Bryant, McClain, Thomas, Haden, Dunlap, JPP, Spiller, T. Williams, Campbell, A. Davis, Hughes, Kindle, anyone else in the field

If I was guessing, I'd say Morgan, Haden, and at least one OT will be off the board. Say, worst case scenario, that McClain and Dez are the last two guys chosen before we're on the clock. That leaves us taking Earl Thomas at 12, which is fine by me.

40. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    How can Thomas be a worst case scenario. He may not even be available at 12.