1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pains 2009 Dolphin Mock draft 1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Oct 27, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    1.Malcolm Jenkins CB, Ohio St. This defense really needs a number 1 corner and Jenkins is their answer. Jenkins has great size and speed lacks that elite corner speed but he makes up for in his all around game including his run support and ST.

2a.Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers. A big target at 6'4 205 pounds, would complement Ted Ginn nicely as the Goto guy.

2b. Vince Oghobaase DT, Duke. This guy is a slim 6'6 310 pound DT but can do more with his size than just be a run stuffer.

3.Cody Brown OLB, UConn. A DE who will be a monster on the strong side. He is a great pass rush and should be a name on our draft board.

4.Eric Wood C, Louisville. Has started 39 games at Louisville. Can the Samson Satele experiment at Guard finally happen?

5.Dallas Reynolds OT, BYU. Another guy that has started 37 games! Pretty versatile on the line gives the Dolphins Oline plenty of options. A very promising prospect.

6. Brannan Southerland FB, Georgia. Some regard him as the best FB for the 2009 draft. I'm hoping he falls to round 6 would be a solid pick in the run game.

7a.Ronnie Palmer ILB, Arizona. Has good enough size to play in the 3-4. Is an anchor to the Arizona defense. Could be a nice prospect.

7b.Dwain Crawford CB/S, Baylor. Bit of a tweener could be a great ST player. Doesn't hurt to add versatility to the Dolphin Secondary.

Obviously I'm no expert but thats my mock as it stands today.

2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If Satele fails to really step it up it wouldn't schock me to see us take a look at Alex Mack if he falls to the 2nd- maybe the 1st if we're picking mid round. Better that than reaching for a DT or OLB. Or maybe give Andy Alleman a shot-big maybe. We need a center who doesn't get eaten up by those big, premier defensive tackles.

3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Don't think Oghobaase lasts that long.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't think we take Oghobaase even if he were available there. Isn't 6'6'' too tall for a Parcells nose tackle?

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Britt would become our # 1 WR the moment he walked into camp, this guy is a monster.
    He is TO without the crap.

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Wow, if that's the case, he would have to be projected a top 5 pick overall wouldnt he?

As I agree with Maj that our two glaring needs are WR and CB, I would be surprised to see our first two picks go that way. I imagine a stud DT/MLB/OG would be our first pick followed actually with the best safety available at 2nd pick. I dont have names right now.....

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Brandon Marshall is described by some as TO without the crap, and he was a 4th round pick.

I'll take it.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think he goes in the first round, the problem is he plays at Rutgers. They are not playing well and Teel was bad until last week. This kid is big, strong and fast, he can go deep and goes over the middle. he has very good hands also. I watch all the games since Teel is a family friend.

I'm telling you, this kid is going to be a star as a Pro.

Underwood is also a very good WR that is under the radar.

Even without a big junior season in 2008, Britt is still a 6-4, 215 pound receiver that looks like an NFL player. His best asset is his ability to play physical. That gives him space to get open and makes him a very dangerous ball carrier after he makes the catch.
    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1679

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Making a mock now is very pointless because the best players in this draft McCoy, Bradford, Stafford, Selvie, Wells, Andre Smith, S. Marks, etc. are all juniors and it depends on if they declare.

The Lions, Chiefs, and 49ers are desperate for QB's and should all have Top 5 picks.

10. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Not bad :up:

No more pointless than listing Draft prospects, overrated, and underrated. Its all for fun.

11. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Yeah Kenny can play, but he's a little too inconsistent for my liking.

12. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Boomer,

You high on Selvie? Whose your ideal 1st rounder?

13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Oh I know I usually don't make them until later but I thought I'd take a crack at it. Obviously I have no idea the value of the players.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I like it BK. I think Oghobaasee won't be there at that time but I like it. One other thing I would change is drafting an ILB earlier. Possibly Clint Sintim with 2A.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  15. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Yep. George is a good player. Greg Hardy would probably be my pick as we stand today.

16. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    How about this one:

1). Evander Hood - DT - Missouri
    2a). Clint Sintim - ILB - Virginia
    2b). DeAngelo Willingham - CB - Tennessee
    3). Brandon Gibson - WR - Washington
    4). A. Q. Shipley - C - Penn State
    5). Cary Harris - CB - USC
    6). Julius Williams - DE/OLB - Connecticut
    7a). Brandon Tate - WR - N. Carolina
    7b). Ryan Palmer - CB - Texas

17. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah I'm starting to think that way too. He will probably jump up to early second or first round status after the combine.

18. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    1. DeMarcus Granger
    2. Larry English
    2a. Kevin Barnes
    3. Kenny Britt

That'd be a decent first 4 picks. Barnes will probably see his stock fall because he might not play the rest of the year.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I like English a lot. Britt slipping to the third. Interesting.

20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    With the Parcells<==>Groh connection so well publicized and speculated upon last year where it concerns Chris Long, I'm suprised there isn't more support for Clint Sintim this year. He's leading the ACC in sacks, and the Virginia defense is definitely turning things around after a very rocky start. I think a few struggles should have been expected, they were not only missing Chris Long but a guy that I personally felt was very good and very underrated, Jeffrey Fitzgerald. Chris Long speaks the world of Clint Sintim.

With Sintim leading the ACC with 9.5 sacks, helping lead the way for UVA putting together such a great defensive turnaround story...I might even start to pencil Sintim in for the first round of the NFL draft. At the very least, if he lasts to the 2nd round, Miami will consider him hard.

Whoop, now that I say all that I see that Conuficuss has Sintim at 2a. Good pick. I can endorse that one fully.

And I don't know about Kenny Britt, I know this time last year Tiquan Underwood was lookin stellar and now he's off the map, so I'm a little wary of this year's Rutgers upstart underclassman receiver. But I know that Hakeem Nicks has first round ability, straight up. He is a beast, he is another James Jones in the making if not better. If he declared and he made it to one of our 2nd round picks, wow would I ever love that.

In fact...I'm going to go out on a real limb right here and say the following:

1. OLB, Clint Sintim - UVA
    2a. WR, Hakeem Nicks - UNC
    2b. CB, Dominique Johnson - Jackson State
    3. S, Otis Wiley - Michigan State
    4. CB, Joe Burnett - Central Florida
    5. WR, Jaison Williams - Oregon

I could live with that. Right now our 3-4 record has us picking anywhere from #9 overall to #14 overall. With us playing the Raiders, Rams, 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs in the final half of the season, plus some winnable games against the Jets, Bills and Pats, Broncos...our record could see us picking in the late teens. If we're down there...can we say with any kind of certainty that Clint Sintim will not be a prospect for us in that area of the draft? I could see them picking him and saying something along the lines of, they've had their eye on him since they scouted Chris Long a year ago.

21. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I like the Green pick, he has had a very bad year, but can play at this level.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think they looked at a lot of Rutgers tape last year, and I believe they will still like Courtney Greene.

HOWEVER, I should note that at that pick I was extremely tempted to plug in Otis Wiley...and in fact, I may do so anyway. Like, right now. :)

23. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Personally, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us going OL early. Adding a center in what figures to be a pretty decent C class would allow us to try the Satele at LG thing (he's got the makeup of an excellent pulling guard), switch Smiley back to his more natural right side and boost a questionable depth. I am not convinced that the FO is sold on the current lineup (and I'm also not really convinced that a healthy Donald Thomas will suddenly improve the poor interior blocking to something respectable); as good as the Wildcat worked at times, guys like Parcells or Sparano must absolutely loathe the fact that we can't just pound it in smashmouth style.

24. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Using Juniors is cheating :lol: :shifty:

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Aw c'mon, Nicks is my only junior and with the way he is playing this year withOUT Brandon Tate opposite him...I mean, that guy ought to come out. Miami would be lucky if they could somehow get him in the 2nd round.

26. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
  27. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Depending on medical examinations someone will get a good player out of Brandon Tate with a late round flier.

Fine,.......keep your Juniors. :wink2:

28. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    What are your thoughts on Cody Brown?

29. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He gets the pub, whilst he takes plays off, and can anchor against the run better. He needs to play with more overall fire in his game as he doesn't always give 100%. His running mate - Julius Williams may be the better pro IMO, and chances are we'll look at him later in the draft over a guy like Cody Brown early.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  30. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    You think he is capable of giving it 100% every down?

31. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    It kind of echoes my sentiments, but I confess to mixed feelings. I think that Donald Thomas is the real deal. Satele is good, but there's a problem when he's getting chewed up by premium DT's. So what do you do? Smiley is set, I believe that D Thomas will be set next year. That leaves Satele at center-which is probably gonna have to do- let's face it, he's pretty good. He's just not great. I kind of threw Alex Mack out there because I like him, and as you said, smash mouth. Bottom line- if he's there in the 2nd and is a pure value play, you take him. And also, like you said, depth, and that is important. I still think that we take a stud CB in the 1st if available- Jenkins or Davis- if J Allen doesn't work out- and as last week's game showed, he darn well might. If that's the case then go for the sure thing and take that Safety out of Missourri. I'm tired of these DE/OLB projects. Also, Merling and Langford will be fine at DE. Is there a NT out there worthy of a top 12 pick? I haven't seen him. Go with the Safety from Missourri, solve the problem (if not Jenkins/Vontae Davis) and THEN gamble with some mid-late round picks.

32. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Max Unger bears watching because of his versatility as a center and left tackle.

33. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm kinda of Torn I know BP is going to want a NT or OLB but I think the Ireland will draft a need and that being a CB. If scouts and teams are that high on Malcolm then I don't think he could fall unless he has a horrible combine/pro workout.

34. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    1. Darius Butler CB, UConn. He's out with a hurt knee right now but you usually come back stronger from those types of injuries. Butler is exactly the type of ballhawk we need to compliment Will Allen and he would start right away.

2a. B.J. Raji NT, Boston College. The nose tackle makes the whole 3-4 defense work. Raji will take over for Ferguson in a year or two.

2b. Tyrone McKenzie ILB, South Florida. May need to put on about 5-10 pounds but you just can't ignore his playmaking ability.

3. Mohomed Massaquoi WR, Georgia. An underrated receiver who will make a lot of noise in the NFL.

4. Cedric Dockery OG, Texas. Another underrated prospect who could end up shining in the NFL.

5. Darcel McBath SS/FS, Texas Tech. A ballhawk who practices against Michael Crabtree every day.

7a. Brandon Tate WR, North Carolina. The only reason he's still on the board is because of a knee injury.

7b. Terence Moore SS/FS, Troy. Goes to the same school as DeMarcus Ware. His 40 may be a little slower than you'd like but it's worth a 7th round pick to find out if it matters.

7c. Best fullback left on the board which will probably be Tony Fiammetta from Syracuse.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Given what Jeff Ireland was saying about Alabama and how they love taking players from a program like that...think we have to start projecting a possible Rashad Johnson to Miami.

36. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I think it's an absolute necessity, although he's a little small at around 186lbs and has had some off field problems. I'd think a versatile lineman like Antoine Caldwell would be another; I mean, this is a kid who has had the sort of off field issues that every coach and parent dreams about - the receit of extra textbooks to help his studies.