1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pacquiao vs Mosley

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, May 7, 2011.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I grew up watching some very good boxing matches, many will disagree but boxing 15-20years ago was much better than the UFC has ever been. There was nothing like a big fight back then.

Then it was corrupted with BS and now everyone walks around with an Affliction T-Shirt.

Well tonight is as big of a fight you can get now days since Boxing has dropped off the face of the earth. Manny SHOULD win this going away but Mosley is a 4 time champion so he cant be totally counted out.

Pacquiao KO in the 4th.

MrClean and Ozzy like this.
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Eh, I could take either of them. To dinner and a movie provided they pay and provided transport.

4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Pacquiao dominated the fight. He was more impressive against Mosley than Mayweather was.

Pacquiao was never in danger, while he beat up Mosley and even scored a knockdown in the third round. Mosley had only been down against Vernon Forrest nine years ago following a headbutt. Mosley just couldn't pull the trigger, and that knockdown was the reason. Manny started reaching him in the second round and became the one who came forward. After the knockdown in the third, Mosley fought much more defensively. There were several spots in the championship rounds where he staggered Mosley and had him in trouble.

Pacquiao said his legs were a problem (I think they cramped up). All in all it was an entertaining fight.

EDIT: the Pacquiao 'knockdown' was bogus. Mosley stepped on his foot and shoved him. Pacquiao staggered across the ring and Kenny Bayless ruled it a knockdown.

5. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    OT: says a lot that the boxing fan compares the UFC to boxing decades ago. Tells you all you need to know.

The UFC has yet to capture that Ali-Frasier 'big fight' feel that the public gets from a major event, and it's simply a market share and tradition thing. Boxing was 'the' only combat sport for over a century. It's a pastime fathers and sons enjoyed together. The UFC has not reached its 20th birthday. And less than 10 years as a mainstream sport (promotion). MMA fans get that 'feeling' before a big fight. It's only a matter of time before it reaches that level, as young fathers are now watching MMA with their sons.

In short, boxing heads long for the days when they were the only game in town.

Also, the UFC consistently has better fights than boxing, and as good as boxing has ever had. The best fighters have squared off since Day 1. That era ended 25 years ago for boxing. And now they are playing catchup (mostly thanks to Ring Magazine). There are no Pacquiao-Mayweather/Bowe-Lewis situations in the UFC.

UFC 129 last Saturday was -- top to bottom -- amazing. The main event was a stinker. But the other 11 fights were outstanding. One of the best cards I have ever seen. And the first seven were aired free (five on Facebook, two on Spike). All in high definition. And held in the 55,000-set Rogers Centre.

6. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Can't wait for the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight now. It's going to be a match for the ages. Every pac man fight I've seen so far Manny has been dominant in. I've never seen him lose a round convincingly yet. It's going to be one great fight.

7. MrClean

To me, Mayweather is the most technically sound, best defensive boxer I can ever recall seeing. If I were a betting man, my money would be on him, though I do acknowledge that is probably the minority viewpoint. That they have not fought is IMO as much on Manny's camp as it is on Floyd's. I have not studied all the reasons why not as much as some have either, for that matter.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Not even close to true.

9. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Mayweather to me is the only guy who can take out pacman.

10. MrClean

I'd give you ten fist pumps for that comment if I could.

11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Eh ufc has its good points. I actually think the better fights occur on the ground, not the ground and pound, but when both fighters are working submission. I think mma is just far too young right now to have the technique that boxing has built over the years.

12. kthurmus23

kthurmus23 Canada's #1 Fin Fan

Jan 5, 2008
    Regina sask Canada
    I used to be a big Boxing fan. Guys like Vargas, and Gatti were my favorites. Boxing for me went stale years ago and even though I still watch it from time to time MMA is way more exciting these days. I keep hoping that Boxing can regain some of its power in the sports world, but I cant help but think it is dead. Hope I am wrong.

13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    The whole boxing is dying is bull****. I can pretty much watch a boxing match on 4 days out of the week. They still have million dollar events, etc. Its bunk.

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, the promoters are killing the sport Lucky, especially the heavyweight division, I paid money for the Lewis v Hollifield fight and it was worth it, since then nothing has come close to that level of interest for me.

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    The undercards have gotten way better. Promotions run around the clock. I think it has more to do with the heavyweight division doesn't have that big name or names. The talents there, the talented fighters are there, they just arent recognizable to main stream america.