1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ozzie Newsome: Dolphins not picking Jake Long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Ozzie Newsome knows the Dolphins need an offensive tackle. He is aware the Dolphins are talking to Jake Long. But that doesn't make him believe the Dolphins are going to actually draft Jake Long.

No way, he says.

“I think one of the best parts of the draft is the intrigue that goes with it with what other teams are going to do," Newsome said. "Right now, probably half of you think Jake Long is going to be the No. 1 pick. I’d probably smile and say that’s not going to happen. And, [Miami is] negotiating with the kid right now, for whatever reason."

Newsome believes the Dolphins are still desperately trying to trade out of the top pick but would end up picking Chris Long if they have to stay at No. 1. Newsome's guess is as good as any because he bases how he handles the Baltimore draft, in part, on how Parcells has traditionally done things.

“I give Bill a lot of credit," Newsome said. "You probably can take eight to 10 teams in this draft that are byproducts of what Bill started with the New York Giants. You take New England, then you have Atlanta, the Jets, you have us, Jacksonville and Cleveland.

"A lot of what we do started in New York with Bill Parcells. Now, he has the first pick. But, I go to sleep every night – and this is what I learned from the first draft when we were picking fourth: If you’ve got four players, the other teams can’t get four

link
    http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2008/04/ozzie-newsome-dolphins-not-picking-jake.html

2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Much ado about nothing IMO, nobody has a clue but Bill, and he's not telling.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think it's interesting to hear what a GM picking in the Top 8 candidly thinks about what the Phins are going to do.

At this point, I'd be surprised if it's Chris Long. But Newsome seems to think it'll be him.

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I hope he's right. It seems kind of messed up that he would come out and say that though.

5. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    ATVZ400 likes this.
  6. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  7. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I'm going to save up my credits for a custom badge that says that :sidelol:

8. ryoung8918

ryoung8918 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    OC, Calif
    Makes sense for Ozzie to say this, considering Jonathan Ogden is most likely retiring. The Ravens' two big needs are OL and QB. He'd love for Miami to start the DE/DL run at the top of the draft. Gholston, C. Long, Dorsey would be a dream start of the draft for the Ravens, since they have no intention of drafting D.

9. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

:sidelol::sidelol::hi5: