1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our OC, Dan Henning - Love This Guy

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Larry Little, Sep 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Excellent interview on 'Aquavision'. Select the latest Interview at the top. Enjoy!

Dan Henning Interview

2. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I'm just getting done watching and it was entertaining. Can't say that about many NFL coaches.

3. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    nice piece, but i still don't understand why, after not being able to catch or get open all day, he decides to throw to WRs several times in a row from the 3 instead of handing off to one of our top-tier RBs.

Frumundah Finnatic and rdhstlr23 like this.
  4. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    great interview

5. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Well, the Phins brass has gone over and over this...

Each down, Penne had run/pass options. The Jets were lined up in goaline defense, crowding the LOS to stop the run. We had man coverage on the outside. Penne opted to the pass... which was what the defense gave him, and I think, was the correct call. We just didn't execute.

Honestly, if we HAD run the ball, and got stopped... which was what the Jets front 7 was doing to us practically the whole game... then, everyone complaining about throwing the ball that close would be complaining about how ineffective we were running the ball earlier in the game, and why we were so stupid and 'predictable' to try and punch it in from the 4.

IMHO, we called the right plays. Our WRs just didn't execute. If Wilford would have been active, I think this game would have had a much more favorable outcome for us. Maybe not. Who knows until the guy actually plays?

However, our active WRs played very poorly. I think that's why we lost.

steveincolorado and Themole like this.
  6. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i understand general logic with playcalling. that doesn't change the fact that the Jets DBs are some of the best in the game (we knew this), and our WRs could not get open or catch all game (we also knew this).

Our RBs were not running up huge #'s, but they were averaging like 3 ypc and had some great plays previously (even on that drive). i think the #'s ended so low b/c we abandoned the run so early. I STILL think if we had always planned on going for it on 4th in that situation, trying to punch it in would have been a safer bet.

i agree with you on if wilford was in there. but he wasn't. so you run the ball. ;)
    BUT this is OT a little. sorry, still venting on the poor decision IMO from last week. :beer:

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    That was great. Old style football coach. cant get better than that. Interesting stuff. Man they are really high on Jake Long huh? Interesting to note that they liked both Ryan and Henne but the decision was made that Jake Long was going to be the number one pick. (Pats self on back for saying Ryan was a Parcells type of QB) I like what he said about running and passing when you have to. It only matters how you run at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game when you're ahead and trying to run out the clock and it only matters how you pass at the beginning of the game and at the end if you're behind. Good stuff

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It's not the right call if you have short WRs who couldn't catch all day and two all pro running backs! Put a FB in there and mow them freaking down.

That's like putting in a lefty to pitch against a lefty just because they're both lefties!

9. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    The biggest mistake was using motion to an empty backfield. That immediately tells the defense that we're not going to be running it. I can't believe that we did that so many times.

PMZQ and texasPHINSfan like this.
  10. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    It also lets Chad know what kind of "D" they are in.So before he gets the ball he knows who should be open.

It's a give and take......

adamprez2003 likes this.
  11. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    We can have motion with the TE going into a H-Back position to let us know what the D is going to do. No need to motion into an empty backfield when you're that close. At least keep the LBs honest and make them stay in their gap assignments and not dropping into short zone.

12. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    yep , good point.

13. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    That just may be one of the things that we will use Casey Cramer for. :yes:

14. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    cause the Jets stacked the box

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Good interview

16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    we're supposed to be a power running team (all preseason we made moves pointing to this) with one of the best backs in football. Stacking the box shouldnt stop us.

If we had Chambers still, or even Wilford in there. Fine. We threw it to who?????

Are any of our WRs taller than 6'? Hagan that's it?

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  17. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    "the box" gets stacked all the time. you telling me this team has never run it in for a TD from inside the 5? we used to do it all the time. granted, sometimes it took a couple of tries but we've done it countless times.

yeah i know its easy to second-guess playcalling after a loss, but i'm still sore about that specific instance. that series is what bothers me the most about that game.... well, that and that bullcrap hail mary pass for a TD. :no:

18. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    He's a good guy but im not a huge fan of his play calling. Its early though so things can change.