1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our 2008 Rookie Class in Review: Part 2

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Jan 16, 2009.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    6a.) Jalen Parmele- 0 GP.
    He showed some promise during camps and pre-season, but with Ricky, Ronnie, and Patrick Cobbs we just didn’t have any room on our depth chart to keep him on the active roster. We placed him on the Practice Squard and the Ravens picked him up around week 15. He was a powerful runner with some wiggle. I think if we kept him for a while he could have become something special.
    Rating: 7/10 (I had a hard time rating him)

6b.) Donald Thomas- 1 GP, 1 GS.
    All indications from off-season workouts and camps were that Thomas was a absolute beast. He received praise from veterans on our team (Vonnie Holliday) as well as against the one opponent he faced in game 1 (Pro-Bowler Kris Jenkins). Our Front Office was very high on him as well; Parcells even called him a “godsend.” I think he was a perfect example of what type of O-Lineman the new Coaching staff and FO want. What started off as a very promising season was ended because of a foot injury in the first game. I can only hope that he comes back next year as good as he was last year; if he does other team’s better watch out. He could become a Pro-Bowler and that doesn’t happen often for 6th round picks.
    Rating: 9/10

6c.) Lex Hilliard- 0 GP.
    From a D-II school, he wasn’t supposed to really contribute this season. I think we are keeping him on the practice squad right now (but I am not 100% sure). He could be considered a FB/HB tweener, but I think we are hoping to develop him as a HB. This was an average pick for a late 6th round pick.
    Rating: 5.5/10

7.) Lionel Dotson- 2 GP. 1 Tackle.
    Honestly, I don’t know much about Dotson. He has good size at 6’4 and 290, but I am not sure if he plays DT or DE for us. All in all, it is impressive that he is still with the team, most 7th round picks are cut from teams early on. Once, again I think he is on our practice squad and he might have a small chance of making the roster this year. Overall, I think he could provide some depth the our Defensive Line unit.
    Rating: 6.5/10

UDFA.) Devone Bess- 16 GP, 6 GS. 54 Rec. 554 Rec Yards. 10.3 Average Y/C. 3 Drops. 1 Rush, 13 yards. 1 Fumble. 22 Punt Returns for 231 yards (11.0 Average). 14 Kick Returns for 311 (22.2 Average).
    First off, I have to give A LOT of credit to the Posters here for talking non-stop about this guy during the off-season. Every time I would read the training camp reports from people on this site they would mention how well he was doing. Bess was an incredible find this off-season. Every single team passed on Bess during the draft for various reasons. Some said he was too slow, too short, too many problems off the field so on and so forth; but they all missed the most important thing about Bess, he can flat out play. He runs really, really good routes and can create space as a receiver. After the catch he is doesn’t go down easy and will fight hard for extra yards. He does not have break away speed, but he knows that and does the best he can with what he has. Bess is extremely shifty and quick. Personally, I didn’t care too much for him as a Kick Off Return man and the job was later given to Patrick Cobbs. Oddly, I do like him as a Punt Returner; he doesn’t really have the break away speed to take it to the house, but he is consistent and makes smart decisions back there. I look forward to watching him develop as a Dolphin.
    Rating: 9.5/10

UDFA.) Dan Carpenter- 16 GP. 21 GPM, 25 FGA (84%). Long of 50. 40 for 40 on Extra Points. 75 Kick Offs, 7 Touchbacks. 30.2 Opponents Average Starting Position.
    Carpenter is more proof that you don’t have to spend draft picks on Kickers or even Punters for that matter. He was a great find in the off-season and I also heard how well he was doing from the training camp reports from posters here. He outplayed former Kicker, Team Captain, and possible team cancer, Jay Feely. He is great on Field Goals and won us a few games with his foot (the Raiders game comes to mind). Despite how he looks before Field Goal Attempts he seems to be ok with the pressure on him in critical moments. He does struggle on Kick Offs though. I wonder if he just doesn’t have the leg strength to boot the ball that far or if it is something technical in his game. He did seem to get better towards the last few weeks of the season. Our Kick Off team’s Coverage in the beginning of the year wasn’t so great, but a 30.2 Average Opponents Starting Position leaves something to be desired. All in all, the progress he made at the end of the season is promising and he should be considerably better next year.
    Rating: 8.75/10

If you made it this far congratulations!!! I put a lot of time and effort finding all these players stats, writing about them and rating them. I hope you enjoyed it! Any Questions or Comments are welcome.

***Before someone says it, I know this was only their first year in the NFL and it takes 2-3 years for most players to develop and reach their potential.***

2. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Jalen was picked up by the Ravens in week 15 bro.:wink2:

UCF FINatic likes this.
  3. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    How do Jalen Parmalee and Lex Hiliard get anywhere above 5.5?

They didn't even finish the season on the team

I'd give them both 3s or lower.

Those picks were mistakes by Ireland and Parcells. We should've been adding depth in positions of need at that point.

4. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    geez, what does one have to do to get a 10/10? I would put Bess and Carpenter at that score.

Ducken and UCF FINatic like this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Erik Walden should be on the list as well, out ST were really poor until he showed up and he is a Rook.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  6. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Thanks for the post...great job.

Although I cannot disagree with the grade from a production standpoint...maybe even knock it down a bit...I would say to not discount Hilliard. His performance and viability were hampered more by opportunity than talent IMHO, given RW came back, RB came back quickly, Cobbs emerged, and Parmalee and he were close...different type players but close in evaluation. Parmlee was the "sexier" of the two but Hilliard grows on you. He does not have long speed but grinds out yards, blocks well, has good hands and is more complete IMHO. He has 'enough' speed and is fairly instinctive...not a one cut speed guy like Parmlee....I think he has a shot as a swing back/ST's guy that hangs on the roster....at least IMHO.

UCF FINatic and adamprez2003 like this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree 100%. Too soon to call those guys busts, but they deserve 0/10, cause they did NOTHING to help the team.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Great job.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    They were 6th round picks man. You don't really exspect much from 6th round picks. The fact they they have stuck with this organization so long is pretty darn good. Also both of them have the potential to develop into something. Even if one of them was really good we already have Ricky, Ronnie and Patrick Cobbs so you wouldn't even know it.

10. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I was really, really close to giving a 10/10 to Bess. I love the guy don't get me wrong, but I just think he has a limited ceiling as far as developing. That said He will stick with this team and contribute a lot in the future.

Carpenter really had some trouble with his Kick Offs and that was the main reason I did not give him a 10.

Ducken likes this.
  11. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Regarding Donald Thomas, what did Kris Jenkins say about him? i must have missed it?

early thanks.

12. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Was Walden the guy the Cowboys took with our pick for Ferguson? And then he was cut twice and then picked up by us anyways? To give away a pick and get value from the guy the other team took in that spot is pure genius in my opinion on top of getting a player like Ferguson.

Really makes me wonder the whole ratings of players in drafts and how tehy are handled when they get to the club who took them.

I think Walden was that guy, i could be wrong and someone with more in depth knowledge can correct or verify.

I'm glad we know RB, RW, PC will be back next year, healthy as the end of 2008, so there is no uncertainty this draft about the RB spot. Those Parmalee and Hilliard picks were safety net picks due to the uncertainty of our backs both health and staying clean and i sure hope we don't have to waste any picks on that position this draft. Not the way our scouting and MGMT can find talent in mid to late rounds at position of needs.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That was Erik Walden, we acquired Fergie for a 6th rd pick, and by swapping draft positions with the Cowboys, they took Walden, we took Don Thomas.

so for that 6th round pick, we ended up with Fergie, Thomas, and Walden.

Stunning really, last year such a move would have been like building a Space Shuttle out of Beer cans, for this regime...no problem.

14. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    The 2nd part did not dissapoint great write up:up:

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Jenkins said that Thomas hit really hard, and "played heavy" he mentioned that Thomas would go to several pro bowls.

Nappy Roots likes this.