1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Teams Looking to Draft a QB in Round 1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Nov 13, 2011.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Its obviously a foregone conclusion that the Dolphins are going to try to draft a QB with their first round pick in 2012. Now that we've won two games with 7 games to go, who really knows where we will draft. So I started thinking about our "competition" for a quality QB, be it Luck, Landry, Griffin, or Barkley. The way I see it, there's really only 4 teams other than Miami who would either pick a QB if they had a higher draft position, or trade up ahead of us to get a QB.

Patriots - No way
    Bills - Just gave Fitzpatrick a huge contract
    jets - They will never admit the Sanchez mistake
    Pittsburgh - No
    Ravens - No
    Cinci - Andy Dalton looks like the real thing
    Cleveland - Will likely give up on McCoy and draft a QB
    Houston - No
    Tennessee - Just used a first rounder on Jake Locker
    Jacksonville - Just used a first rounder on Gabbert
    Indy - I don't think they'll draft a QB, but that subject has been debated a zillion times over.
    Oakland - Just traded their first rounder for Carson Palmer
    Denver - Will likely draft a QB despite Tebow Magic
    KC - Not ready to give up on Cassell
    San Diego - No
    Giants - No
    Dallas - I really doubt they're gonna give up on Romo. But you never know....
    Philly - No
    Washington - Really need a QB
    Green Bay - No
    Chicago - No
    Detroit - No
    Minnesota - Just used a first rounder on Ponder
    New Orleans - No
    Atlanta - No
    Tampa - No
    Carolina - No
    San Francisco - Maybe, but I doubt it.
    Arizona - Just gave a zillion dollars to Kolb
    Seattle - Yes
    St. Louis - No

Even if you think Indy will draft Luck at #1, that's only 5 teams looking to draft a QB. I like our chances to draft one of the elite QB prospects.

2. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Denver will not pick ahead of us somehow Tebow is winning them out of the top 10.

3. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Definitely agree. Washington, Cleveland, and Seattle are our main competition for a good qb. Granted Luck goes to Indy of course. Although I may add Kansas City.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Safe to assume Luck is going #1 overall, and almost certainly to the Colts unless they pull something out of their ***. The question then becomes to trade Manning or keep him for a year or two. I think they look to trade in the first round range - could see a FA loving team like the Skins maybe biting on that, maybe the Browns would give up one of their firsts and take a playmaker with the other.

With Luck gone, that most likely leaves Barkley and Jones as top 5 guys, I don't buy the Weeden hype yet. As it stands, we would have our choice barring a team trading ahead of us, though still a lot of schedule to play. If we continue playing at this level we could squeak out a few more wins and end up out of the top five.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Indy, Miami, Cleveland, Seattle, Denver, KC, Washington, and Arizona. I'd say KC and Zona unlikely but everyone else for sure going QB. I think Indy takes Luck, Seattle takes Barkley, Washington takes Landry Jones.

6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Griffin Jr. to Washington wouldn't surprise me with Jones to Cleveland at some point. There's this odd chance that in fact Brandon Weeden would be perfect for Miami in a trade down. Kurt Warner part deux?

7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Regarding KC, Cassell suffered a hand injury and could be put on IR and done for season. They will evaluate their #2, but if doesnt pan out, they indeed could go after QB.

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Where does Matt Flynn come into play here? I'm not sure I would take a Foles over him and if you're stuck in dead man's territory and don't like Landry Jones...

9. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
  10. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He doesn't.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Really? You think the other guys that come after Barkley are definitely better?

12. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I don't know that I'd agree that Cleveland is ready to give up on McCoy just yet. He really hasn't sucked, has few weapons and is situated in an offense that he could eventually thrive in given something to work with. I'd sooner think they'd get him some weapons and go from there, and then go shop for a QB if McCoy falls flat next season. Or they could go after someone like Matt Flynn, who might be a good fit there.

Boik14 likes this.
  13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
  14. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Elway can't win anything without Terrel Davis!

15. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I think I'd rather burn a pick on them than trade the same pick for Flynn, yes.

16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    NO NO NO I don't mean trade for Flynn. Not at all. I'm saying sign him without compensation. He's a UFA this year and I doubt they put a whopping tag for Matt Flynn.

17. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    With the NFL rookie salary cap I could see Arizona or KC taking a Qb if they pick in the top 5 or so. Honestly Kolb has looked awful, I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a Qb at all, same with Cassel. I think with the rookie salary cap you could see teams that otherwise wouldn't consider a 1st round Qb taking them as insurance or for competition and a trade down the road. Its not a bad gamble anymore because it doesn't destroy your salary cap.

ssmiami likes this.
  18. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Injuries to Schaub, Cassell, even Vick have to shake up those franchises enough (depending on how replacements do)......that HOU, KC, and PHI all could impact QBs on draft day. Maybe not all 1st rounders...but a QB drafted still.

19. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I wonder if KC will still be in the market after the Orton acquisition...

20. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    These are the kinds of teams I would expect to possibly take a flyer on Weeden, who due to age may be considered more "NFL Ready" rather than the younger guys.

Still, I think we have to pick no later than our natural spot, so anyone taking a QB after that point actually works in our favor by pushing down other prospects.

21. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont think Orton would do anything to make them say "Well the QB position is solved for the next 10 years" and Matt Cassel has had 1 good season of his 3 in KC the majority of which came during a very weak part of the schedule last year