1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: If there is one reason to be upset with Goodell ...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    ... it is this:

The Dismantling & Destruction of NFL Films

There is little doubt that the NFL owes much of its billions in revenue to NFL Films and the mythical aura of the game that Ed Sabol and company created. What Mr. Goodell and the Network Exec Bornstein do not understand is that with all the glitz they have taken away the soul of the game. Forget the whole "discipline" issue the players have. That's minimal stuff. But, the way the NFL Network is run and, simultaneously, they way the execs have undermined the entire production philosophy of NFL Films is atrocious.

This, on the eve of Ed Sabol's induction into the Hall of Fame. There were money issues at NFL Films but the reality is, what they bring to the table in terms of popularizing the game cannot be directly measured in daily TV ratings/revenue. NFL Films has been as significant a foundation block for the NFL game as any other piece. If Goodell is all about "protecting the shield" he and he league leadership has actually done more damage than the players he's disciplined by allowing this "shack" called NFL Network to continue to destroy the artistry that was once NFL Films. And, an artistry that could bring the mythological story-telling into the hearts of millions in the future.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It is a real shame. I grew up on NFL films VCR tapes played over and over. I had to buy 3 copies of "NFL greatest hits" just to keep watching it.
    However, it's a business decision. I don't think the NFL network (whether you like it or not) could survive with just NFL-network-type of videos. They are trying to attract the younger, ADD, audience, not just the old Fogeys like me. The real shame is that it's an either-or situation, and not something of a real blend.

steveincolorado likes this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

OMG, someone young enough to be my son considers himself an old fogey???
    WTF does that make me? Wait. Don't answer that. :)

4. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I personally felt like the America's Game series was fantastic, and I well always have a soft spot for those 70s and 80s highlight films. I don't see why they didn't just make it a part of the NFL Network. Seems short sighted to shut it down.

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    One of my career goals is to somehow be involved with NFL Films (producer, director, cinematographer, editor, anything). They produce fantastic stuff, without question.

6. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    typical of the new global business climate...sacrifice the long for the short bottom line. just think where the league might be had they had a similar attitude decades ago.

NFL films presentations definitely drew me in and gave me an appreciation of different eras. those super slow mo vids from the 70's with blaring horns and sometimes funk music are a treasure.

then again, there is something to be said for how well the newer versions of NFL films are received. if people dont watch them...

if we are more concerned with twitter television, we can only blame ourselves

dolfan32323 likes this.
  7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I won't rub it in old man. I turn 40 this month, so it's something I'm hearing over and over at home.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Really? Snake wants to try and eat its own tail again?

9. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    just like my cat. they are mortal enemies

10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Some of the greatest background theme music ever composed in America...

dolfan32323 and MikeHoncho like this.
  11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Sam Spence is pure win.

dolfan32323 and Pandarilla like this.
  12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I still love old football footage. It is so interesting to see what the game was like before it became the game I love today.

I am a big fan of Top 10. I love that show. Especially since they were smart enough to give the best linebacking corp to the Saints instead of the popular choice, the Steelers.

13. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    After so much success and money being made,they forget where they came from.What a shame.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Don't like watching footage of Otto Graham, Y.A. Tittle, "Night Train" Lane, and Jim Thorpe?

15. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i watch that show whenever i can