1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Oregon vs Ohio State - National Championship Game Thread **

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Vertical Limit, Jan 12, 2015.

Who wins the championship today?

1. Oregon Ducks

45.5%
  2. Ohio State Buckeyes

54.5%
  1. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Big 10!!! Haha...

And the way they beat Bama and Oregon?? I have zero doubt they could've handled anyone. Great start to the college football playoff, #4 team dominated #1 and #2...go figure.

DPlus47 likes this.
  3. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Urban is going to have an interesting conundrum next season. Who the hell is going to start at QB?

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Barrett has a chance to be a great QB, Jones gets the job done, Braxton is flashy but we don't win it all with him imo.

I side with JT myself.

DPlus47 likes this.
  5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Congrats on the Championship by Ohio State for all the fans. It was a great job of coaching by Urban Meyer and his staff. In case you were wondering i was rooting for Oregon.

Fin-Omenal, speed and DPlus47 like this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Someone's hit the wrong "generate formulaic article" button.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

DPlus47 likes this.
  7. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Urban Meyer is the best coach in the country, by the time he is done could be the best of all time.

8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I never like to compare coaches in different eras, who knows what Meyer could have done with different generation athletes. He's not even remotely close to being the best coach in Ohio State history.

Anyways, last night was a good game but nothing like FSU vs Auburn...

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Not sure I agree on on any accounts...its hard to have a good game when one team is that much better than the other. I Also believe before Urban is done he will have surpassed Woody as the "man", he's already a close second and the future is bright.

10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    If he has learned something from his Florida experience then perhaps .Remember he lost control of the lockeroom at Florida and many players did not respect him .As a consequence there was rampant pot use and multiple off campus incidents.Meyer would not discipline players like Harvin and other starters if they helped him win.

The same thing can happen at OSU .Players who think they are bigger individually than the team can get out of control and you create a situation where the animals control the zoo.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Hopefully he has learned from those mistakes, another reason I'm all for a guy like Braxton Miller moving on down the road. The players in some of those FL locker rooms were just first class losers from a human perspective, and it's no surprise some of them are in jail for murder or a special talent who has already been on 3 teams in his young career.

12. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Urban Meyer is not going to grab 5 National Championships in Ohio State sorry no chance he becomes the man, maybe for the ones with a recent memory only (and that's become the IT thing on social media these days), but those that knows the history of CFB knows Hayes won't be surpassed.

They have a good chance of repeat but there are strong teams coming up next year and it will be even tougher. SEC isn't going to go away whether you like it or not. And USC is going to make a strong case for the playoff next year.

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He does have a long way to go, and with the parity in these times? Winning 4 more at OSU will be a tough task. But he has a damn good resume thus far and the recruiting classes aren't going to get any weaker.

I have nothing bad to say about the SEC, they definitely won't be "going away" but the Buckeyes obviously can hold their own and will for the foreseeable future. There is a lot of CFB that will be played before Ohio state needs to worry about a team from the SEC , USC, TCU....etc.

It just feels good to be the first undisputed, proved it on the field champion in CfB history. Next year isn't even on my mind right now, my teams NEVER WIN A DAMN THING so I'm going to enjoy this a lil longer.

DPlus47 likes this.
  14. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Booooooo! Can't wait for this title to be vacated /sarcasm

Well, on the plane back. Cell phone was flaky and I was too busy watching my Ducks lose from the 2nd row. So here's the lowdown

1. Props to Ohio State D for shutting Oregon down I the redzone

2. Offense was what we run. Mariota wasn't "confused" Oregon has a plan, they rush to the line to stop substitutions and run their play if the opponent isn't ready or out of position, otherwise they send a new play in. Keeps defense on their heels and wears them down.

3. Oregon injuries/suspensions finally bit us in the ***. Carrington was our 3rd down converter, without him we had a hard time moving the chains. I was surprised but losing our #1 WR from las year to an ACL injury, our Olympic hurdler to a knee injury last game, and a suspension takes it's toll.

4. Ducks are prone to nerves in the past. They came out big that first-3rd drive. Fumbles and drops.

5. Defense played amazingly well for what they had. Forced 4 turnovers and kept the them in the game until OSU went ground and pound. Their defense is fine on the field if they're ahead, but slow-grind move the chains like OSU did makes it hard to come back from a deficeit.

6. I'm surprised at how it went, and not surprised at the same time. Expected it to be 50/50, but disappointed that the disk didn't show the world the ducks outside of that first possession.

7. Ohio State fans at the game were classless, sorry to say. Saw a handful get arrestedz I've watched over 50 games at Autzen and I've never jawed, yelled, cat called, etc. Opposing fans. We got all that and more last night. I was really disappointed, Auburn fans were more civilized if you can believe it.

8. I've seen over 50 games at Autzen, many of which yr Ducks win by 30+. They always pull starters and TAKE A KNEEE when the game is over. Urban Meyer is a classless ******* for that final score. May a pox be put on his house.

We'll try to get 'em next year!

Go Ducks!

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Disappointed you had to deal with some of those jackasses, we are all very passionate but that isn't a free pass to be a total dk to someone. Me and my lady went to the Big Ten Championship and ofcourse it was 80/20 Buckeye fans at best, walking to the stadium we saw these morons cussing at a group of Badger fans and it really disgusted me. The Michigan fans walking to games at the shoe??? I've seen some real stupid scenes and even stepped in to defend this poor dude who was walking and out of nowhere gets shoved to the ground. It's beyond ridiculous and even though I'd guess it happens a lot, im sure it's way more often with Buckeye fans.

As for the game, I'm sure you will disagree with my view of it and I don't want to sound like I'm rubbing it in...which leads me to your next comment.

At the very end I said out loud "just take the damn knee"...I was then told by a few ppl Oregon certainly never takes the foot off the gas so f---that. I can neither confirm or deny they do or don't. However listening to Ryan Clark and Mike Golic this AM they both said it was not an issue at all, Clark said if it had been anywhere but a run inbetween the tackles that he may have raised an eyebrow.

I'm sure we will see Oregon in the playoffs again in the near future.

16. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I saw a reported 90 fires were set in ohio... Lebron leaves? time to set things on fire. Win a champiosnhip? Set things on fire... Whats with Ohio people and fire?

17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I heard 30 reported trash can fires on campus, kids.

18. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    We pulled our starters in the bloody rose bowl against the defending champions, and earlier this year vs. Michigan State. There's a difference between "don't take your foot off the gas" and "if we take a knee the game is over".

It's their right to do it, but Oregon very obviously didn't burn their timeouts to extend the game. Yet Urban Meyer had run it up the guy twice under 30 seconds to get his kid a 4th TD. It was embarrassing to watch honestly, and indicative of what of coach he is. There's a reason people call him an *******.

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    To be fair you pulled your starters because you had a championship game to play 10 days later and with MSU a season to go. Ohio State doesn't play again until September. I called Meyer an asshat for years when he is with Florida (u can imagine the **** storm that caused here) so it would be silly for me to pretend he is some honorable guy because he is wearing Scarlet And Grey...so I won't go there.

I do find it kind of telling that the 2 former players (Golic, Clark) had zero problem with it and the guy who is just a fan (Greenberg) took small issue with it, in which case he deferred to the guys who have been inbetween the lines in that situation..so will I.

20. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, the game was over with a knee. Anything more is a needless risk of his players being injured with a game well on hand. I don't doubt players want to play, that's their job. It's a coaches job to look out for them and represent their teams. Meyer did so poorly by giving an unpaid kid two carries up the gut after he had over 30 carries in a game when the game was over. Everybody saw it, everyone goes into victory formation and wins with class, from HS to the Pro's.

It's Urban Meyer though. He's never been mistaken for being a classy guy.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Unpaid.....

Lollololol

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008