1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optimism & the offensive line

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Apr 20, 2009.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Long-Smiley-Grove-Thomas-Carey
    the OrcaFive,
    the Miami KillerWhales

I believe by the end of the 2009 season our Offensive Line will be recognized as one of the best in the NFL & is destined to enter the books with the likes of the RedSkin's infamous Hogs.

why?

1) Coaching:

(A) Bill Parcells is the power House of the trenches. wherever he has established a team, he has assembled powerful Offensive & Defensive Lines.
    (B) Our Head Coach is an Offensive Line Coach. He made his bones @ both the university level & in the NFL as a premier Offensive Lines Coach. Tony knows the Offensive line.
    (C) The firing of Maser & hiring of Guglielmo. Coach G. was the Assistant Lines Coach for what is arguably the top Offensive Line in the NFL, the NYGiants. They will be coached up exceeding all expectation.
    (D) there exists a template to build upon: 1. size & strength 2. character (they like leaders, especially team captains) 3. history: they trace them from their HS days playing football. 4. Consistency, love of game, team players that buy into a system & a willingness to work hard & through injuries.
    (E) the front line has been assembled after diligent research & much expense. the home work was done. the investment was made.
    the Orca-5 have earned the stamp of approval of the TriFecta.
    Both Ireland & Sprano talk with great enthusiasm about what the KillerWhales will present to the league in 2009, with the obvious support of the SilentOne behind it all.

2) the LinesMen:

won't go into great detail here I'd have to write an article not present a thread to do them justice. However, much is on record & has already been written if you want to make the time to do some research.

LT- Jake Long: 6'7" 320lbs; #1 draft of 08; started & finished every game; a Rookie ProBowler @ the most important position on the offensive line
    LG-Justin Smiley: 6'3" 310lbs; 2nd rd. draft choice (first in the top six offensive lines men picked in the 2004 draft) six year veteran with SF, top drawer acquisition, a dominate linesman
    C-Jake Grove-6'4" 310lbs; high second rd. choice by Raiders; prestigious collegian record. elected an All-American as Center (an accomplishment unto itself). many, many accolades, honors; was on target by Bill Parcells to draft when he was with the Cowboys; as a Pro "... notched a POA winning percentage of 90.6% while allowing backs to gain 6.2 yards per attempt behind his blocks. And Grove didn’t need a lot of help either. The ex Raider went one on one with defenders 67.5% of the time in 2008, far more frequently then either Matt Birk (39.9%) or Jason Brown (60.3%)."
    RT-Donald Thomas- 6'4 310lbs; has been described as a diamond in the rough & the strongest human being on the Dolphin football team; plays through pain & injury, mean & takes personal joy in finishing blocks; Thomas has been compared to the young Keith Sims; a 6ed rd. choice, considered " A Find", started LG as a Rookie & totally dominated the position up to the time of his (now healed) foot injury.
    RT-Vernon Carey ( the other Bookend) 6''5" 350 lbs; first round choice; earned the name the PancakeMonster during University years; is already an elite tackle in the NFL; nasty, durable, big & strong; a scintillating veteran that plays the run particularly well & can switch to LT, if Jake is ever injured.

we also sport an excellent bench going into the season that will not only back-up but provide some competition for starting positions.
    I suspect we might pick up a center in the draft for future development , but the Offensive Line is basically established.

the Orca- 5 will eat defense alive
    the KillerWhales will lead us to a SuperBowl !

2. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    GIVE ME SOME OF THAT KOOL-AID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great read and I hope it PANS out literaly!

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Thank you Freind DorfDad:
    I hope it pans out too!

4. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I feel the same... Going in the biggest question mark has to be Grove. He's a sturdy kid though, just needs to prove his toughness. I think if they can gel together they'll be quite good! Well, I guess Thomas has to stay healthy too.

5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    if all 3 are healthy and remain so, it will probably be Carey who will be the weakest link ... potentially a nice problem to have, since when Carey is playing well - he is an above average RT (not elite).

Thomas is probably the best bet of the 3 to remain healthy .... then Grove, then Smiley.

even if Smiley gets hurt again, i think our line will still be very good with whomever wins the backup slot .... (i'm actually hoping it will be our 6th rd draft choice -- whomever that ends up being).

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    about Grove:
    1) Grove is not injury prone, according to explanations & information put forth by the TriFecta (they should know). he has had a remarkably resilient career, that can be traced from his HS days through college into the NFL. he is injury free & healthy. the guy is already in the weight room, before the official training begins. he will be a leader & a force to reckoned with @ Center.
    2) the Raiders wanted to keep him. he became a free agent & they couldn't match monies. too many big signings, they don't have the money to hold on to everyone, like in the case of the Ravens w/Brown
    about Thomas:
    1) he is physically a freak of nature. the strongest man on the roster & with a MEAN STREAK.
    2) Thomas totally dominated the training camps & preseason games. after winning the start he injured his foot in his first regular season game & he played through the game injured & in pain.
    3) he had a broken bone in bottom middle part of his foot. used to be a potentially career ending injury. however, they've invented a new surgical procedure that goes in through the top of the foot, leaving the sole of the foot unscarred & in tact. His surgery was 100% successfully & he has healed w/o the scarring of the bottom of the foot. he's ready to go.
    4)Thomas as Grove has been in the gym long before he was required to be there & has stated in interviews he is looking forward to the up coming season with humility & great anticipation. the guy is the RealDeal, a beast & a mauler.

behind Smiley we have two excellent veterans Joe Burger & Alleman. the rookie Shawn Murphy may be ready to step up after a good training camp & preseason & could surprise. it all looks good to me. I think the the Orca-5 will go far & beyond expectations this season.