1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OnLive....Goes Live June 17th...Preview Inside!!

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by vt_dolfan, May 20, 2010.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

For those who havent seen it yet.....OnLive a new cloud computing gaming service is set to launch on June 17th this year. Initially, the launch will be just to the Windows PC crowd...and games will play on a browser plug in.....

Just some ground info...basically OnLive will allow (or will supposedly) allow you to play any game...on any type of windows PC. Gone are the days of needing to upgrade your rig to a better GPU...or when DirectX11 is available...no upgrading to get the DirectX11 benefits......your old laptop should be able to play any game on the OnLive system.

Later this year...you will be able to do the same thing....with a TV. Where this is kinda cool...is that everyone who has the OnLive service on a TV will be able to play against everyone else on the Onlive service..regardless of laptop, PC, and later even the Iphone/iPad.

Initial price is set at 14.95 a month....although OnLive says their new video social aspect will allow all types of interaction between gamers never before available....

BUT...how do the games play.....

Well...I found a GREAT article written in PC Perspective written by Ryan Shrout. Somehow he got access to the Closed Beta and did a very thorough review....and somehow..he didnt get sued in the process.....lol.

Heres a link to this great article....
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859

In short....

The OnLive experience seems to be a very solid, enjoyable experience for most games....and most gamers...outside of the hardcore fast twitch FPS fans. This was done in Jan...so...the service may be better now...as well as there were some questions as to how much distance Ryan had between him and the OnLive Server....

Judging by the article....OnLive looks to be a truly formidable competitor for the mighty gaming dollar. I believe PC gaming..especially the boutique liquid cooled .... high speed rig crowd will be less inclined to jump on board...but for the over all masses....I can see this being a huge draw. As well....the service will only get better....but I can see some hugely competitive Madden leagues forming.....I have a feeling XBox 360, PlayStation and WII better start coming out with some pretty cool new stuff...or OnLive is gonna start eating away at their sales.....

2. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm on the beta. It's terrible. Nowhere near the playability they advertise. Haven't lunched it in a month or so. I wouldn't pay for it. I bet if you lived on top of their cloud servers it would be better.

No thanks.

vt_dolfan and Stitches like this.
  3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wow....how awsome is THAT. Straight from the mouth of the gaming angel...if you stamp it a no go.....thats good enough for me. Thanks for saving me the 14.95 a month!!!

Let me ask you though....IF and thats a huge IF...the playability was there....would OnLive have potential? I love the possibility of cross platform gaming..

4. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Wasn't this supposed to come out last winter???

Why would I want a system that has a knock off 360 controller and no exclusive games?

5. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Pretty much exactly what I expected.

6. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I want to update everyone about OnLive.The service is live now.... And for some of the people in the Beta (maybe everyone in the beta lol) they offered a years worth of service (just the service) for free and access to the full up and running system a few days early. They also give a promo code to purchase one full game of your choice.

So today I got that email. The one free full game drew me in to fire it up. I have to say... It's come a long way since the beta back in March. Granted, the server probably isn't under too much stress... But it was running GREAT. I used my promo code on Mass Effect 2 because I feel like that game gives a good assessment on how the system works graphically and performance wise. Back in the early beta i had to test it on Lego Batman demos... Not a whole lot to work with.

It worked flawless. EXTREMELY little mouse lag (comparable to a wireless mouse) and look fantastic. I am gonna run it on the Mac to really see how it looks. But I wanted to let people who had high hopes for this to know, there is still a chance it can be awesome.

7. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    ok this is BS... One of the selling points was that you can stream non Mac games to Macs.... Meanwhile:
    [​IMG]

8. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    thanks for pointing that out Mor... extremely disappointing to say the least.

9. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I beg to differ that the service sucks. Hardcore PC gamers are the ones spewing this crap.. I have a gaming rig, all three consoles, all the handhelds, and was an OnLive beta tester. I am in PA and about 300-400 miles from the Virginia Data Center and I uses Comcast which sucks and I can play 720p quality games almost perfect..

I have had only 2 problems during 4 weeks of playtime dropped connections etc.. I finsihed two games now using the service and as a MAC and PC Owner I love being able to play from ANYWHERE with a fast enough connection.

Check out a video I made showing red faction multiplayer..

http://www.youtube.com/dorfdad

The lag in this video if you notice any is Youtubes compression not the game..

720P on an 2007 iMac that has no right playing anything but Peggle. Than Join my forum below (see signature)

10. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You didnt read my 2nd impression of the service above AFTER they launched....