1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Second After......a must read

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by 2socks, Apr 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    They'd make the gators mighty happy Marty. I have enough outlaw in me that living off the land would pose no problem. My method would certainly PO the game warden though ( I don't operate like that and never have, but I know what to do to survive). I have cast nets and I can tie a net, I can make fire without matches, I can smoke meat, and there is nothing sweeter than the bulb outta cabbage palm.

Seriously though, my family has been storing and canning food long enough now that all we do is rotate it before it's shelf life runs out. We maintain one years supply for each member of our family. I don't feel comfortable saying this on the internet, but no one here knows where I live. I have done a little midnight gardening where I have 90% silver pre 1965, 1/2s, 1/4s and dimes planted. In a scenario like we are discussing a nice "store of value" will prove to be a very wise and prosperous endeavor.

Jimi, needs to know that you do NOT need many square feet to grow a very productive garden. Hanging Hydroponics is the way to go.

As you and Ron and Duckin, have stated, knowledge is the ultimate power.

I'd also like to add that I'm half way through (one second after) as we speak. I'll follow it up with (Alas Babylon) which I've read about ten times now. In these uncertain economic times we can't be prepared enough.

Ducken, cnc66 and gafinfan like this.
  2. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

:up::up::up: A man who knows just how to take care of his family! Way to go!:yes::hi5:

cnc66 likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    BTW, Dr. Forsten (sp) was on the local radio program today, it turns out the book is quite a hit, a best seller, and it also turns out that the places in the Book are literally my "town" even down to the BBQ place...

Forsten is a Professor of History at Montreat College and a sweetheart of a guy, he's been living "down south" for 25 years now and still has his Bronx Brogue...or is Brooklyn...damn yankees...:lol:

And BTW, what the genesis of the story was that in 2004, we had a Hurricane roll through the area and it was devestating, as in the water lines were crushed at the Reservoirs, there..was...no...water...to be had.. the power went out as well, Forsten's father was at a Senior Home in his last days suffering from ALS.

There were 400 patients at the retirement home (up rte 9 BTW) and Forsten went down to Black Mtn to try and acquire enought water for 1 gallon for every person, the Red Cross was handing out distilled water, when Forsten got to his turn, he calmly stated he needed 100 gallons of water for the retirement home, a fmr student was running the volunteer effort, however the people behind him in line became livid because the distilled water was running low and 100 gallons would come close to depleting the stock of water.

A near riot broke out (5 days with no water makes people act funny) and the only thing that saved him was he knew the local Police Chief, even then though, he only managed 25 gallons of water for the retirement home, and the police chief himself had to help him load it into his truck.

Fun times...every home should at least have a water purifier and two (2) five gallon buckets...think about 5 days with unflushed toilets...better make that 4 buckets and hope you have a local water source to use for flushing water...things get really bad if you don't...;)

gafinfan and cnc66 like this.
  4. gafinfan

Thats sad but very normal. Since moving back to to coast I make it a point to have no less than 36 bottles of water on hand at all times. Every time I break into the last 36 I go to SAMS and get another plus I have two 10gallon containers and one 25 gallon bucket (thank goodness it has wheels) those get filled if a hurricane gets within 250 miles of Savannah. Plus if its within 50 the bathtub get filled till its all over with!!! Man I get crazy if theres no water!!!:up::wink2: Just thinking about this makes me want to up my 36 to 72.:lol::lol::lol:

2socks and padre31 like this.
  5. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Ron, I've sent you a PM and "link" on this subject. let me know what you think. I would like to post the link for all interested but will await your opinion on whether you think it would be wise considering the reasons I stated in the PM.

Ron

gafinfan likes this.
  6. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    probably would be the best investment ever if something happened:up::up::up:

gafinfan likes this.
  7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

don't be ascairt to pm me... :up:

gafinfan likes this.
  8. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    :sidelol: Marty, you're startin' ta sound like me now!!! :hi5:

9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

that's because were geezers.. :up:

gafinfan and Themole like this.
  10. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach

Thanks! I think!!! ;) :lol:

cnc66 likes this.
  11. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Not at all Marty. Just being considerate. You know, you being the police, I figured you would have your hands full with PMs.

12. gafinfan

Marty, ask Ron about the croker sack story I told him about!?.:wink2: There are times when its great to be an old geezer, you know.:lol: :up::up:

You guys have a great Easter and God bless.

Ron