One more thing I like about our new offense

12 replies

rafaelrafaelForum VeteranOP
Aug 20, 2011, 10:40 PM

It just dawned on me that I haven't seen a single wildcat play so far this preseason. :yes:

Now I don't mind the WC in theory, but I thought we got predictable with it and that it hurt us more often than it helped.

Aug 20, 2011, 10:50 PM

I think we'll definitely see it some when the bullets fly for real. I think that Daboll is making some adjustments to it and doesn't want to unveil it in games that don't matter.

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
Aug 20, 2011, 10:59 PM

Expect the pats to see it and and also expect it to be a pass play...just a hunch.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Aug 20, 2011, 11:00 PM

I think the coaches are more worried about installing the new offense before they work on the WC package. After saying that, the Bills just ran the WC with Brad Smith.

ADAdamC13New Member
Aug 20, 2011, 11:01 PM

I get the sense Daboll would not be opposed to taking a few shots deep. That is when the WC was effective. Teams just didn't have to respect the pass out of it last year. Defenders just hit the gaps and it turned into the pu***cat.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 20, 2011, 11:02 PM

"Zeke0123 wrote:

Expect the pats to see it and and also expect it to be a pass play...just a hunch.

Yessir and I expect Bush to be the Jet Sweep rb as well.

Daboll ran the WC in Cleveland with Cribbs, have to wonder if maybe we see Beast as the WC Qb?

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
Aug 20, 2011, 11:04 PM

Didn't DT play some QB?

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Aug 20, 2011, 11:06 PM

It was so poorly used last year, that I won't miss it if it is laid to rest.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

SHShamboubouNew Member
Aug 20, 2011, 11:10 PM

Well if we do see it, it sure as hell better not be after Henne just drove the team 60 yards down the field, 3 Wildcats and fieldgoal.

I may hurt someone.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Aug 20, 2011, 11:11 PM

I like how we've gotten more aggressive with the passing game. Not only are we taking multiple shots down the field, but more importantly IMO, we're challenging the defense in ways we didnt see under Henning. We're consistently getting 5 guys into the pattern, daring teams to blitz us instead of cowering in fear of the blitz with a steady diet of 6-7 man protections. It forces defenses to defend the entire field, prevents them from crowding our primary targets, and I love it. I don't mean to dance on Henning's grave, he didn't exactly have the kind of personnel to take that kind of approach even if he wanted to. Two preseason games is a terribly small sample size, but if Daboll is willing to send 5 out in meaningless preseason games then he'll probably do the same in the regular season and if that's the case then I think it bodes well for our offense and what the staff thinks we're capable of.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Aug 20, 2011, 11:16 PM

"Tin Indian wrote:

It was so poorly used last year, that I won't miss it if it is laid to rest.

I'd be surprised if we saw much WC, especially early on. There's barely enough time to install the base packages as it is, spending additional time on gadget plays would be a poor use of valuable practice reps IMO. Also, with the array of weapons we have, the amount of favorable matchups we can create, and Pouncey's shotgun troubles reappearing last night, I'm not sure the risk/reward ratio is where we want it to be.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Aug 20, 2011, 11:16 PM

I've heard it theorized that Henne's good results against the blitz was somehow a product of Henning and that he would do worse now. I think that what we've seen so far this preseason indicates the opposite is more likely to happen.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 20, 2011, 11:25 PM

"Zeke0123 wrote:

Didn't DT play some QB?

Gates, Clay as well, DT was a WC Qb as a Juco and I've seen Livas take direct snaps at LaTech as well, he runs much tougher then a guy his size normally does.

And I do agree, if there is no passing involved do not mess around with the WC, they do not have to spray the ball around the field, there does have to be some completions to keep the D honest.