1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Bright Spot

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Sep 26, 2011.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I remember during and after the draft, people were really criticizing Ireland's decision to trade up and draft Daniel Thomas. While it's still too early in the season to be able to grade that decision, here is something that is a bright spot in our anemic game thus far.

Daniel Thomas is currently 12th on the league's leading rusher list...and he's only played 2 games!! He's averaging 101 yard per game, 4.9 yards per carry...he's rushed 41 times for a total of 202 yards...in two games. If he's able to keep this pace up (If...if, if, if...I know, if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his *** when he hopped), he'll finish the season with 1616 yards rushing. we haven't seen numbers like that since Ricky Williams back in 2004 (?)

I know it may not seem like much of a bright spot, but seeing how he's 12th with only two games under his belt, he's already better than 35 other running backs in the league, including big name running backs such as Ahmad Bradshaw, Frank Gore, Benjarvis Green-Ellis, and Rashard Mendenhall just to name a few.

2. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I think the issue many people had with the Thomas selection (and the Pouncey selection, too) wasn't really based on the individual players but on the presumption that they wouldn't necessarily turn us into a better football team overall. And thus far, this presumption seems pretty accurate, unfortunately. I liked both Thomas and Pouncey as draft prospects; I simply didn't like them as picks for the Miami Dolphins specifically. While Pouncey has been pretty impressive, the OL struggles even more severely than in 2010 - and while Thomas is happily rushing away with a 4.9 average, we still can't score points.

Some people don't like drafting running backs early. I'm not one of these people, but I don't like drafting running backs early unless you're darn certain that they'll help you win games and divisions and championships. Steve Slaton looked like a beast during his rookie campaign; now he's just a guy on the Houston roster. Kevin Smith looked pretty good, too; now he's out of a job. The position is just way too unpredictable. Mind you, I'm not saying that Daniel Thomas will end up like Slaton or Smith, but there's always that possibility and therefore I'm not a fan of drafting the position early unless it's the missing piece.

All that said, Thomas looks amazingly good. Low pad level, keeps them feet going, hits the hole hard, me likee.

djphinfan and sws84 like this.
  3. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I am worried we will run the poor kid into the ground now.

4. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    RB could learn a lesson from Down Hill Thomas, make the yards, and worry about the big plays after. I'd like to see him getting 3-4 catches a game too.

5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I have to agree that Daniel Thomas appears to have been a good pick so far. Of course I will have to wait to see how he runs against teams who have a solid run defense before I will go crazy over this pick.
    It is a good thing that Ireland hit on one pick this year because right now it looks like his 2010 picks rate about a D-. Odrick hasn't been heard from since Kimbo stated he would be the best player on the DL by the end of the season. So far Odrick looks like he is headed toward being considered a first round flop. Koa Misi has not improved one bit over last season. In fact he has regressed as a linebacker and he appears to have been a bust as a second round selection. John Jerry seems completely in over his head as an offensive lineman in the NFL. Carroll, Jones, and Spitler are all below average players in the NFL and all of them would have a very difficult time making the rosters of the good teams in the NFL. Edds and McCoy were completely wasted picks.

So all I can say about the Thomas pick is,it is about time Ireland hits on one of his draft picks. Overall he is a terrible GM and he has absolutely no idea how to select talent for an NFL roster.

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well said. Taking a RB early is a luxury a team without a QB cannot afford.

7. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, could you imagine our OL w/o Pouncey?!?