1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old But Good: Top 100 Influential Persons In History

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by alen1, Jun 15, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Originally published in 1978 by Michael H. Hart but was later revised in 1992 was the The 100: Most Influential Persons In History

The whole list was not able to be copied and pasted so I wrote them out. Here it is:

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100

Do you guys agree with it? If not, who should be changed around.

I don't understand one thing. How is Hitler up there? He mass murdered Jewish people and he's up there. Are they basing it off of his speeches because from what I learned, he was a great talker and persuader(is that a word? lol).

Also, how come Gandhi doesn't make the list??

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

It is about being "influential" not good or bad. Gengis Khan was no sweety either. Hitler almost single handedly changed the course of mid 20th century Europe and his work, horrible as it was, still impacts the world. How? If not for the "final solution" do you think there would be a modern state of Israel? I doubt it. Look at how the late 20th century changes without an Israel/Arab confrontation? Does the Soviet Union overrun Eastern Europe without a WWII?

Terrible as Hitler was his influence "earned" him a place on the list.

alen1 likes this.
  3. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I guess there will always be some debate when a list like this is compiled. Besides Gandhi not being on the list, they are also missing Dr. Martin Luther King but included JFK.

alen1 likes this.
  4. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

100 years from now JFK doesn't make the list but I think you are correct both Gahndi and MLK jr. would. Some of the scientists on the list are also a little bogus in my view. They were simply the first to a discovery others were also headed towards. Some like Newton were unique but others...

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I dont want to sound like a jesus freak here, but change him and Muhammed please.

And I agree with the statement about several of the scientists and especially JFK.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Doesn't it depend on the persons beliefs?

7. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I think a pretty strong case for Gavrilo Princip can be made.

8. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If anything, Jesus' influence has been around alot longer and influenced a greater period of time and people than Muhammed. Not a knock on the guy, and his influence has been huge, just feel that a swap would have been most appropriate.

alen1 likes this.
  9. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami

yeah, jesus has been around longer and today has a religion with more people in it. he should be number one (i'm athiest btw.) also, the bible was the first book ever printed, and today is still the #1 selling book. says a lot about influence.

10. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    also, louis pasteur at #10?!?!?!

11. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm sorry, being a non-american and all how does JFK even make the list (and being a big Imperial Russian geek) how does Peter the Great fall behind him? And yes, if he's there King should be there no doubt. The title of this list should be "most popular people as known by the general western populous" :lol:

EDIT: After reading the wiki page, Ford should have remained in the honorable mentions list or at least been lower. Charlemagne should have been higher imo. George Washington may be a tad high, couldn't have him below Karl Marx I suppose :lol:. Sorry guys I know you love him and all :couch:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  12. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    pretty awful list.

JFK? Are they serious?

..and where is Winston Churchill?

SICK likes this.
  13. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I agree. Fleming should have ranked higher that Pasteur.

14. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Totally forgot about Churchill wow. Without him the Brits may be under German occupation now, as well as Russia. He was the total embodiment of their resistance for the duration of the war, providing a strong will and determination and inspiration to face down what seemed at the time an unspeakable and seemingly invincible enemy.
    Had Hitler invaded and crushed Britain, he could have devoted all his resources to the Russian front, perhaps giving his force the little boost it would have needed to reach into Moscow instead of falling just short.

And no, Washington was hugely influential, both in the victory of America over England, influence in pre-revo times, and during his presidency. Imagine the Kingdom of America instead of the United States and you get a picture. He is, in my mind, THE most influential American ever with an effect that rippled outward setting up all the people beyond him to do what they did.

JFK however is just crazy. He wasnt really a good president at all, just a popular guy who managed not to get us blow up and got his head shot off.

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    mlk was more american influence imo. Ghandi would be more international influence since he came up with the non violent movement.

16. peastri

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I would agree if the list were most influential people to the development of the US (country and people) throughout world history. And I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the list because he should, but I feel his position is a little high. How many countries did Marx and Engels influence (including all those who opposed their theories)? Charlemagne and the Carolingian Renaissance reminding those common dark age dwellers of the importance of education. Where would the western world be today if they still couldn't read? (and he's at the bottom :pity:)

EDIT: Queen Victoria should be on the list after all she popularised the white wedding dress. And if you think that wasn't influential enough try and convince a girl obsessed with "white weddings" to wear another colour :lol:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  17. peastri

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I can tell you that we learn more about MLK here than George Washington (btw I have nothing against GW just using him as an example :lol:). His marches/protest (etc) may have been in the US and for those living in the US but they were and still are broadcast to the world.

finswin56 likes this.
  18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I dont disagree wth MLK, or your interpretation of this list in general. My point is simply that Washington was a HUGE influence on the development of the united states, which in turn has influenced the world around it. By that means yes, he is very deserving of that slot :)

19. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Churchill is one I was surprised didnt make it; along with MLK Jr. and Gandhi especially.

alen1 likes this.
  20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Right but so was gandhi's and gandhi came before mlk. So in my view ghandi would be a bigger influence since it's basically his methods being used by those that came later. Not saying either don't deserve to be on the list. I would think though gandhi should be higher, or would be more the shoe in so to speak.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
    alen1 likes this.