1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLB / DE Chris Long or DT Glenn Dorsey at #1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Apr 4, 2008.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I put this on another board some time ago, but thought I'd put it over here since so much talk is going on regarding our #1 pick.

[​IMG]
    KB's SIG KINDA SAYS IT ALL IN TERMS OF DRAFT DAY PRIZES

The two players will be compared all rookie year by everyone interested in evaluating the draft. Most of what I've seen out there have the top two players in the draft as NT Dorsey and DE Long. Both players are seen as certain starters and impact players. This is my take on why we will be drafting Chris Long over Dorsey on draft day if we stay at #1 overall.

There have been some reports lately that Long is the safer pick of the two. I agree with that statement and have some to add into that thought process about why Long is the safer pick. Long is so safe in fact, that if we trade back to Atlanta's selection, we most likely will not have Long as our choice. He'll go #2 overall if we move back. Of course, if Dorsey is sitting there at the Atlanta selection, we could grab him and maybe select OLB Groves later on in the draft and I'd be thrilled with that as well.

I like Dorsey alot too. I would have no problem taking him based on what I've seen. He will be an impact player and always demand a double team. I like just about everything about him. His size will NOT be an issue with him at DT or NT in the NFL. He can grow, and even if he doesnt he'll still be so quick in the middle (and has enough size) that he will be a royal pain in the butt for the OL to block. Dorsey's feet are what make him special IMO. He gets off so fast that with his aggressiveness and good angles he just always seems to be a factor in every play.

I do think though that Long is a safer pick pick for a variety of reasons. Safe becomes an important aspect of the #1 selection in the draft. We simply can't miss on this one Dolfans. This is our chance to add a bunch of picks or grab a special player. I'm hoping for the later, and think Long is not only a special player on the field, but also as a person. He's the safer pick when it's all added up.

My reason for saying this is:

1. Health may be one of the major factors here (for me). Dorsey plays hurt and is a monster, but he does seem to get "dinged" alot with various injuries. Long's health has been better and health isn't something I want to play around with at #1 overall if two guys are even.

2. I also think Longs versatility make him a player that will allow us to do some things we couldnt with Dorsey that I'm excited about. His ability to play OLB or DE will let us give all sorts of looks. He will fit well with our current personel and give us another JT type hybrid player. He is also a hustle / speed type of player that can give us a lightning fast defensive attack from both the inside (DE) and outside (OLB). IMO Long could get JT and Porter back to having Monster numbers. Don't undervalue what this does for our scheme. We can basically run every D look under the sun (without a massive personel change) if you add Long to our scheme. He may be the only player in that draft that makes that true.

3. NT / DT are out there. We know the Lions are peddling Rogers and we already have a guy we invested in that has the size / potential at NT we are looking for in Soliai. The Draft also has some other pudgy butts that would take care of the middle and demand a double team when they try to run between the tackles. There may not be as many players on the outside that can do what Long does that we can get as easily as we can a good NT/DT.

4. Money, mony, money.....MONEY. Long comes from a family that has had money his whole life as the son of a HOF player. He isn't as likely to make mistakes (causes distractions) or get caught up in the hype of having 30 plus million in his lap. He is less likely to change, less likely to get lazy. He's already got daddy's money and doesn't talk, play or act like a guy who is just in it for cash. He wants to be great and has an outstanding engine. He's all about football and money isn't going to change him.

5. The Al Groh connection. Don't underestimate the importance of this tie. Look at all of our hirings. They are based on relationships that go back over time. The same could be true and become a factor when we select the most important draft selection in our franchise history. We can't miss here and if Groh says that Long has it all, I doubt we'd pass on him, especially if our scouts are saying the same thing.

6. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I know it doesnt make him a certain HOF player like his Dad, but think of all the advice pop's will be giving him. He's already benefitted from all his Dad's guidance and appears to be a well rounded individual. He's got Dad's hustle and toughness. His early years of being around Dad during his playing days will no doubt help him be a smart player that isn't overwhelmed by all of the hype we know as Dolfans he's about to face. He would most likely be the best at handling the negativism that surrounds being a player in Miami right now. The fan base isn't kind and if a guy can't handle it, he'll be in trouble. Long will be best equiped for Miami Dolfans.

7. Speed kills and Long isn't just a hustler with some toughness. He plays the game fast and gives us the perfect edge player that we need to make our aging defense look young again. He takes fantastic angles and could turn out to be better than advertised. I've read some say he'll be a Vrabel or maybe even a McGinnest. I think he's going to be a Pro Bowler in his first year or two. Especially if he comes to Miami. Not only does he compliment us and give us a wider scheme to use, our personel compliments him and will let him shine as well. If Long is used right, he will have more impact than any player in this draft for years to come.

[​IMG]
    "feelthepain" has it right!!! Chris Long is the safest choice for the Miami Dolphins at #1 overall.​

late again and alen1 like this.
  2. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    Very good points and well thought out post. Good read, thanks.

3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I wouldn't touch Dorsey with the first pick. Too many health questions.

brandon27 likes this.
  4. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I'd be fine with Dorsey at #1. I think he'll be the best pro in this draft in fact. But he does have some injury risk. That's why I prefer Chris Long. I just think he is a safe choice that cant miss.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  5. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    neither....we are negotiating a deal with Jake Long. =)

adamprez2003 and BuckeyeKing like this.
  6. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Bro - we are also meeting with Chris long, Vernon Gholston and Glenn Dorsey. Does that mean we are drafting all of them too? Of course not.

I have no problem with a Jakev Long pick at #1, but just becasue we met with him first doesnt mean he's the guy.....yet!

BTW- Meeting with the OL first makes alot of sense if you want to drive the price down. Just a thought...

7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Thanks for that, Mike. To be honest I always read posts by you. You bring a coach's perspective and I appreciate it. I wish you came out to the "free forum" more often.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  8. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Just to follow up:
    "Apparently content to keep the No. 1 overall pick, the Dolphins have begun discussing contract parameters with at least two players on their short list of candidates to become the draft's top selection.

Official contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston were started this week, according to a source. Coincidentally, Long and Gholston are represented by the same agency, CAA, but have different agents.

Long and Gholston are believed to be two of the five prospects the Dolphins have thoroughly investigated in case they don't trade away the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, which takes place on April 26-27."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins10sbapr10,0,7093217.story

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  9. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I appreciate the post Dolfan. Thank you.

I have been trying to participate more on the other boards here at ThePhins. I'll see you on there.

late again likes this.
  10. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Those are my top 2 as well, but I also believe Gholston and Jake Long would be fine picks that our staff could make stars out of in time.