1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OL Deficiences Loom Large In Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Mar 27, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with this article but I would also put defensive backfield in there too.

I liked this part of the article the most....

"However, as one team source reminded us, the draft is so rich in top offensive tackle prospects that the Fins could likely grab one with one of their two second-round picks, especially considering that new head coach Tony Sparano doesn’t need supreme talents to mold into a stout line."

2. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

I like it too, never hurts to hear your coach getting props, but there are few top LT prospects, at least that's what I keep hearing. So I hope that Carey plays well this year, or we draft Jake. Otherwise our LT will be problematic.

3. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Carey did play well last year and he'll continue to do so.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree.

5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's what I'm saying. We would love a franchise LT, but do we absolutely need one? A solid LT is good enough IMO, I mean how many elite LT's are there? Not many. NYG just won a superbowl with whom? David Diehl. Elite Franchise LT? Hardly IMO. If we add one more starter in the draft, and utilize some of our talent on the roster already (is Mormino ready? Who is J Wilson?) and maybe a late round depth person or UDFA, I'd be very confident.

Our Oline situation may seem precarious, but it's possible our FO already has a plan.

6. Vampire

Vampire Season Ticket Holder

Jan 5, 2008
    Hilo, HI
    That's what I'm thinking about left tackle. My concern has always been stopping the run. It was evident to anyone who watched our games on a decent field. My dilemma is d-line to stop the run or o-line to finally solidify that area. Ultimately, I feel stopping the run will keep you in more games and this isn't a 1 yr project anyway.

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    All good points, but part of the problem is not only that we dont have much talent, we dont have many O-linemen period..not even Training camp fodder

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah but in this case in the FO I trust. They have a plan in place. I trusted Cam/Mueller, but Cam had no experience. We've seen the FO operate methodically, even surgically, since coming here. Or we can just fortify the crap out of one side, operate through there, and get the other side fixed up next year :D

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I agree completly, and it could be said that Soprano is the absolute best man to judge and teach the Oline...of course he is going to have plenty on his plate with all the other things expected of a head coach

That being said, I think we will look at an Olineman, if not with the first pick, then definately the second...and again within the 5th

10. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the fins will draft some lineman no doubt i think sparano will go to town on this oline and whip into shape

11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good read, thanks for the link. If Carey can play well enough at LT this year, it would be very nice if we picked up a really solid RT and a road grader for the other Guard position. All we need if Carey can be solid at LT is a decent running game and some pass blocking that gives Beck (ahem, I mean my boy Josh) some time back there to get the ball off. we'll be alright. Then see if there is a franchise LT available in next year's draft. Either way I have to agree Parcells/Ireland/Sparano/Maser MUST have a plan, Parcells draft history indicates OL is historically his most highly drafted position taken with the Pats/Jets/Cowboys. And Ireland drafted more OL than any other position when Parcells was gone last draft.

12. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    If the rumors are true of switching Satele to LG are true, I would think that means they are possibly going to try either Darilek or Mormino at C this season. If one of these two players can prove to be a decent C then we would only be looking at adding a young RT to the mix, as I firmly believe VC is a good to very good LT.

The difference between adding two new players to the O-line or just one could be huge, especially if the C added is Mormino, just because he is already more or less familiar with VC and SS and will require less of a "gelling" period, giving us a strong left side of the line.

Imagine an O-line of VC, SS, DM, JS, and say, Cherilus or Collins? Sounds like one very potent O-line to me! Add to that at least one more drafted OL and 1 or 2 UDFA's and we could have a solid foundation to work from, at least for this year.

13. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Good read thanks, i think we will draft some ol for sure and maybe somme free agents after june 1

14. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I have read where there are people talkintg about moving Satele from C to G I guess I just have to ask why? I know that there was some talk of Hadnot making the calls but Samson really looked great over the course of the year. Then we go and pull another switch? I just don't understand; Mormino can't start at G but can start at C ? I wouldn't do it.

15. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    DM can start a guard, BUT, he was a C his entire college career, whereas SS was a C only during his Sr. year. It makes sense, in that DM is more experienced at C and SS is much better at pulling, more experienced, and is a more agile OG. It's just a case of utilizing your assets to their best abilities, reducing the learning curve for each player.

16. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Had discussed this same subject at FH on Boomer's thread. Someone commented on a former post I had written, saying: "Right there with ya FinRunner. I think this draft is essential to rebuild the trenches. There is a lot of talent (esp on the OLINE) there, plus IMO it is our BIGGEST weaknesses."

Aside from the fact I always like it when people are right there with me (I do, it's hard to deny it), I commented back the following:

Two days ago, I was thinking that same thing (about the O-Line). Then, I got in a discussion with someone (Disgustipate on a thread at Club Level), and it changed my mind a bit. As it stands, I think we have three NFL starters. I think I can reasonably assume, if the players stay healthy:

1) Vernon Carey will be as good or better next year than he was last year
    2) Samson Satele will grow as a player and be better this year than last
    3) Justin Smiley will be as good as Rex Hadnot, and probably an upgrade
    4) We have at least reasonable depth with Mormino and Wilson

then

5) The players we lost, Shelton and Liwenski (Hadnot replaced), are very replaceable with guys even available now (i.e. Barry Sims or someone in the draft).

Given all that, even if we drafted no one, I still think our line can be as good as it was last year if we just sign a couple of streetwalker FAs. And, to me, despite what everyone feared at the beginning of last season, our OL performed admirably. None of our QBs faced undue pressure. Green was a statue but stayed relatively untouched. He got injured on a busted end around. Lemon was slow to make decisions, and still he stayed upright most of the time. And Beck was a newby with Brown, Chatman, and Williams all hurt, so I'd say any defiencies in line protection at the end of the year had mitigating circumstances. Also, starting with Game 3, our running game took off. And even when Brown got hurt, our line run-blocked well, because Chatman had a couple good games, as well. Not till all our backs were hurt, and the Lemon/Beck controversy loomed while the team was circling the toilet, did the line play go to pot.

So if we draft even one upgrade to Liwenski or Shelton, our line should be even better if we sign a FA or a middle round pick to man the other position. Or, if we draft two upgrades, or - though I tend to doubt the rumors - trade for McKinnie, our line could be excellent.

Either way, I don't think it's the glaring weakness I once thought it was.

-------------

He then commented back: "While I won't disagree we can not be as good as last year, but we were 1-15 last year. Not exactly a benchmark if you ask me. I would much prefer we build this oline, make it a strong point. To such an extent that Beck has loads of time and can help his development."

to which I responded:

We were 1-15 last year, but look at some of these scores:

Week 2: Dallas 37
    Week 3: NY Jets 31
    Week 4: Oakland 35
    Week 6: Cleveland 41
    Week 7: New England 49
    Week 13: NY Jets 40
    Week 14: Buffalo 38
    Week 16: New England 28
    Week 17: Cincinnati 38

In over 9 of our games, an average of 37.4 points were scored against us. A few of the other ones, Pittsburgh and NY Giants in England, the scores were mitigated by conditions. Our offense, on the other hand, despite it's shortcomings, put up:

Week 1: Washington 13
    Week 2: Dallas 20
    Week 3: NY Jets 28
    Week 4: Oakland 17
    Week 5: Houston 19
    Week 6: Cleveland 31
    Week 7: New England 28

before Ronnie got hurt. That's an average of 22.3 ppg. You can't tell me with just an average NFL defense, that you shouldn't win some of those games. Ronnie was averaging 5+ ypc and led the league in yards from scrimmage, running and receiving.

That doesn't sound like a 1-15 line to me. That sounds at least above average. And if we're better than that, then we're going to be alright offensively, especially if Beck "gets it" at QB.

Make no mistake, we lost and lost and lost last year, more than any other one reason, because our defense - highly ranked just one year prior - sprung gaping holes that couldn't be plugged. And then, in the close games, we were outcoached as well.

Personally, I think we'll have a better record and be better this season. But it's not going to be .500-record better. It'll be like 4-12 or 5-11, and that's probably right. Last year, we were almost 0-16, and really, we looked like an 0-16 team. I just think the offensive line and RB (if injuries heal) are the least of our worries.

--------------------------

Basically, all this to say that I think Disgustipate was right, and we're not hurting as much as we think or this article states we are at OL. It's not like we HAVE to draft for need (in fact do you ever?) at # 1 or # 32 or any other place in the draft. While I would have some guys targeted at each place we draft (or trade down to - or up, if you think we'd do that... I don't), I'd just try to make sure we weren't reaching for something just because of a perceived need.

Sorry to be so long-winded to make a simple point, and even sorrier if you think I'm incorrect... although I'd find that hard to believe.:wink2:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you have at least a solid left tackle which Vernon Carey is no doubt about it you most likely aren't in terrible shape.

If you have three good linemen then you're definitely not in terrible shape. The mid-tier Oliver Rosses of the world are available. Don't fret too much about depth.

Finrunner likes this.
  18. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    IMHO VC will be a good LT but never a great one or what you would call a "Franchise LT". However some people are saying VC can be a Pro-Bowl RT and I think so too.
    Miami hasn't had a franchise LT since the days of Richmond Webb and it has been an achilles heel for the Dolphins. I really don't look for the Dolphins to draft a LT but I personally hope they get one of the better ones in the second round and maybe all of our nagging offensive line problems will be solved this year.