1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK NOW I have watched....Henne/Beck

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by my 2 cents, Apr 28, 2008.

1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I have not really sat and closely compared the two on tape...never felt the need...now I have.

But now the supporters of both are planting their respective flag's. I could really give two hoots who is better as long as one of them PRODUCES for this team. I hope this post irritates both the Beck and Henne supporters of the world...then it is a decent enough post.

That said...I am really not getting the posts that state Henne has a long release....I watched probably 70 passes and on none did he have an elongated release...he did "sling" a couple on broken plays outside the pocket..that is it but for the most part has a fairly compact motion with a high release...I just do not see what others see...it ain't there.....at least on the throws I watched. Beck actually has the longer release and definitely has a lower release point.

Beck has more inconsistent mechanics. Henne also has a measurably stronger arm from the DVD's I watched today. Beck does have better touch on the deep ball. Beck has better mobility and movement in the pocket than Henne. Although Henne gets into his set in 5 and 7 step drops quicker than Beck as he gets away from center quicker...I noticed some false steps from Beck and also some poor footwork that will lead to him getting tangled with linemen or fumbling snaps. Henne is very quick into his drops.

Both look to lack awareness in the pocket at times. Neither seems to have a great "feel" for pressure although Beck is by far the more agile of the two. The BIGGEST difference I see in the two may be the difference in the speed of the games I evaluated...BUT for what it is worth Henne's decision making is much faster...much faster. IMHO both will need solid line up front to max their potential.

Bottom line I would love to see either one become our stud QB of the future but Henne has better tools IMHO. I cannot give my opinion on the "intangibles" because I am not in the huddle, people say Beck has loads of them, so give him the edge. That may be a big thing as with QB's it usually is.

QB more than any other position relies on a set of skills that are not necessarily measurable...it helps to have the measurables for sure but that does not guarantee success or failure. We will see if either or both are our stud QB for the future...lets wait and see if one or the other or both are.

pocoloco, CrunchTime, calphin and 8 others like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I feel the same way... sort of. Im not going to debate on the releases of the two, nor their footwork, etc. Thats not my job, im not a QB coach, or a talent scout. What I am is a Miami Dolphins fan. I like both of our QB's, I think both have a good chance to be our franchise QB. I don't care much which one it is, as long as we WIN.

That being said, Ive seen an awful lot of Chad Henne seeing as im a michigan fan. The guy is tough, the guy has a strong arm, and the guy is a leader. From watching Beck and the fins last year, he didn't seem to have the team on his side while he was in there. At least that was my impression. I like him, I like what he brings to the table as an athlete, and I love his dedication to improving this offseason, but it sure seemed like when he was in there last year, he had zero confidence (which is understandable in the situation i guess), and the team seemed to have zero confidence in him. That makes me worry. However, now we have basically a whole new team, a new coach, and a new atmosphere in the lockerroom and on the field probably.

Bottom line, as i said i like both guys. I dont want to take sides for either. I want them both to succeed. However, most importantly i want whoever is the best player, and gives us the best chance to win to be on the field... helping to WIN games for us. That is the bottom line.

3. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Brandon, my man...great post.

I also don't care which one starts. And you are also correct to say that its the coaches to make the decisions and suffer/prosper from, the consequences.

I think the coaches will make the right decision, whatever that might be.

My only horse in this race was that many of Beck's supporters were vehemently opposed to us drafting a QB in the second round. IMO, based on what we've seen from Beck, that would have been totally negligent. The FO agreed.

Now that we have two potential starters, this competition will play out as it should and the best man will win.

4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    somewhere in my heart i kinda want mccown to show them both up majorly and become a beast of a qb. just because that is the least possible thing to happen at this point i think. it would just be funny.

but really, like has been said, i dont care who of the 2 (or 3) succeed, just so long as ONE of them does. new oline, new team, new year, new confidence. hopefully we finally have our qb

PhinsRock likes this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Michigan is my second favorite team (Gators #1) so I've watched Henne quite a bit. I like Henne as a prospect but I do think he is a step below Beck. In my evaluation criteria accuracy is most important. In this category Beck is far superior. Henne will have games where is accurate but too often he is sporadic. Next is decision making. Beck tends to go through progressions pretty well but Henne will need some work here. He tends to lock on receivers far too much. (Jaws even showed some video of that during the draft.) This may be why you think Henne makes quicker decisions. He doesn't, he just throws to the first option more often even when it's covered. Next is the release. I don't know how you are missing Henne's much longer release. Henne often brings the ball back almost a foot behind his shoulder. This could be a problem in the pros for a QB that isn't nimble. Also Beck does a better job of throwing on time. With intangibles I think they are fairly even. They are both good leaders and both could stand to improve their pocket feel. Arm strength I also feel is close. Henne might have a slight advantage here but not enough to matter. Beck throws more touch passes which makes people question his arm strength but like Henne he was the second strongest arm in his class. They can both put plenty of zip on the out patterns but Beck is better at the long pass. When it comes to footwork Henne is much better. He is quicker and more consistent in his drop backs and he does a better job of setting himself before he throws. Beck has developed a bad habit of throwing off his back foot. Another advantage Henne has is that he has a more NFL ready body. They are both the same height but Henne is just thicker. That may make him more able to absorb hits or shake off glancing blows. Beck is a little more mobile but it's not a major part of either QB's game so IMO it's a non-factor.

Overall, I think Beck grades out higher in the more important categories of accuracy, decision making and release (time to get the ball out of his hand). While Henne has better footwork and a more NFL ready body. I also think that with time footwork and body weight are more easily corrected than accuracy and the release.

6. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i want a quarterback that wins i dont care who it is

i have watched a lot of henne and i dont see the long release everyone is talking about i mean people want to make him out to have a byron leftwhich type release

i think beck should get a shot and if he falls flat let henne take over

7. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Henne's long throwing motion.

[​IMG]

sws84 likes this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Oh come one Ga, he isn't throwing a pass in the flat in the photo...:lol:

gafinfan likes this.
  9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Hey. Really nice post. I dont get the long rlease stuff either. I thought Henne had a pretty quick release myself. I pretty much see Henne the way you do so let me ask you about Beck. Alot of people here feel Beck has good deep accuracy and has good accuracy on the move. I personally think those were his biggest weaknesses from what he showed as a Dolphin. What's your take on Beck's deep accuracy and his accuracy while on the move

10. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I just can't help but be excited about what David Lee will do with all three of our QB's!

11. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    For what it is worth I think Beck at BYU was better and more accurate deep and out of the pocket.....BYU throws much more vertical routes and upfield slant type routes where Meat Chicken throws many more crossing and outside the hash routes...at least from what I saw. My opinion is that Beck does it better because he has done it more........Henne has the arm to throw deep but his touch needs to be developed on the deep ball. Beck will be better in a scrambled eggs (improvising) offense because his mobility is better but that is not what anyone wants and is not his best "style"....again IMHO both need max protection to be great.

12. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Gotcha. But let me ask you, just regarding Beck alone, not comparing him to Henne, does Beck have good deep accuracy and does he have good accuracy on the move. I dint get a chance to scout him in college so my opinions were formed primarily from his Dolphins tenure and he seemed to float his deep passes and his accuracy seemed rather poor when he threw while running. What's your take on Beck in those areas not comparing him to Henne

13. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    #1) Accuracy: I agree Beck is more accurate.
    #2) Decision making: I could very well be misinterpreting his decision making (also maybe not), you may be very correct. Could also be because of the speed of some of the games I watched...I did watch a couple of Beck last year...so very well could be.....
    #3) Release...OK...I am not going to argue the point any longer...done..I will say this...I watched some more and I am no longer going to watch any more to evaluate Henne/Becks release...It ain't there....I cannot see what you see...and I watched 150 passes of Henne's in different games....it aint there that I can see...and I played QB in college. If you watch the draft watch the lead in when they show Matt Ryan making a throw...it was the longest reach back for extra release in the world...does that mean Ryan has an elongated release ...no,,,, just a snapshot....Again I have watched 150 Henne throws generally he holds the ball high, and snaps from his ear. He does open up and snap his hips, but does not drag his arm like Beck hence the higher release point..also maybe why a quick glance it may appear he has a long release when actually he is the poster boy for clearing your shoulders and opening your hips for max velocity....long relaease...again....it is not long...go watch again.....
    4) Arm Strength...Hennes is measurably better...although when Beck winds up he can throw a long way...he does not have near the velocity for outs and deep crossing routes that Henne has.
    5) touch...IMHO Beck has thrown more of them and has better touch...agreed. also agree Beck is better on the deep throw.
    6) Footwork...Henne has great footwork IMHO. Clears quickly and efficently, sets quickly, slides down the line well. Beck has a bit of lazy feet IMHO.
    7) Size...Henne looks solid or pudgy...depends on if you are a Beck fan...Beck looks lean like an athlete or skinny depending on if you are a Henne fan....toss up to me....it is how they produce not how a QB looks....
    8) Mobility...Beck is more mobile period...I do agree it is not what will make either of them effective or ineffective.

Overall: I agree Beck is more accurate generally. I think that we need to see Henne in a different setting to determine his decision making. Their could be many reasons we are seeing what we see...and we are not scouts that can pick these things up instantly...it takes us longer to see some things.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on the release issue. I have watched too much with near 100% consistency. I see near perfect mechanics quick hips, clearing of shoulders, no mis steps with feet and high arm angle on Henne. with Beck I see "sit before he clears" as an old coach used to say about me...he hitches back to clear and it is a longer release than Hennes. It is possible that he has learned to compensate for a lack of arm to reach back a bit. Beck also steps to throw where Henne clears with his hips and shoulders first. when you step first you lose your arm angle...try it in your living room...and it leads to a low release point because you are dropping your ***/hips to clear your shoulders. For the baseball guys think of it as Henne keeps his bat back and Beck commits his lower body in their swings ..........

Again I do not really care who is better as long as 1 of them is productive...but lets not bust on Beck or Henne for things that are simply not accurate because we like the other guy...hell I do not care if Matt Baker is the best just that the Fins QB produces...SOON!!!!

gafinfan and rafael like this.
  14. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    IMHO Beck does have above average accuracy on the move and above average accuracy on the deep ball. But IMHO Beck seems to have to reach back to throw deep. For that reason I think in my opinion he has developed a hitch and does not throw flat trajectory passes very well. not to get into my evaluation of a QB...I am not quaiified all though I did play QB at the College level....but Beck leads with his feet and drags his arm which drops your angle and makes you miss high but allows you to throw the deep ball with more air.

It is why IMHO he will miss a lot high when he does have to throw that type route. I think he will always be a better deep thrower than short and intermediate thrower. His hitch and release are not an issue in that type offense (vertical) they do become an issue when you throw outs and vertical slants at 30-35 yards with small windows.

As for the Henne Beck argument...I could care less. I do though think that after looking at them that Henne is a far better prospect physically. But who knows ?Henne may be Ryan Leaf with a worse attitude...who knows yet? Who knows about the mental intenagible side. To me Beck seems more Jay Fiedler than anyone wants to admit. Great guy, hard worker, smart, great neighbor...but I wonder if he has the arm to be elite???? I do not think you have to worry about John Beck being the best he can be...the question is how far can his physical skills take him with bad mechanics?

adamprez2003 likes this.
  15. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Adam...It is interesting that there have been some here and there comments from the new staff about Becks mechanics that the old staff never seemed to mention. I want/wanted John Beck to succeed. But I have shared these same concerns for a long time now and got the obligitory you are nuts no else said this responses. The staff now seems to have the same issues.....hmmmmm..... my suggestion with that comment is that we all need to go with what we see not what we read.

Again I want Beck to succeed but we are talking about a guy that forget the talent around him...had problems with snaps and getting away from center...again not to give myself credit but I was talking about his poor footwork long before he started stumbling all over the NFL.

I also have heard about his arm....just have not seen it other than throwing far...Hell I can still throw far...just not very hard. I think we are going to start to hear some arm concerns At some point intangibles supporting cast etc arguments have to give way to hard numbers and productivity.... I hope like Heck John Beck, Matt Baker, McCown, or Chad Henne produce, and do not care which one does...just that one does.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Hello!!!

Excuse me . . . . . . . excuse me . . . . . . pardon me . . . . . . . um, hello . . . . . . anyone here ever hear of a (MY) kid named Josh McCown? Well dang me if he aint a gonna start for this team come September! :tongue2:

Sorry, but y'all just forced me! :lol: Gotta do my job here as Josh's Papa.

And with that out of the way, may the best of the THREE men win! :up:

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I actually used to work as a scout for an NFL agent so it's possible I am seeing things with a different eye. And I'm a fan of all three of the QBs. (I really don't know anything about Baker). I really liked both Beck and McCown coming out in their respective drafts and as a Michigan fan I've rooted for Henne for 4 years. My evaluation is not based on liking or disliking a QB. It is based on the factors that I believe most translate to NFL success. My guess is that McCown is the most likely day 1 starter but that Beck is the most talented of the three. If Beck is given enough reps and enough time for the game to slow down for him then he is the one with the best chance to be special. Henne has that NFL body and footwork but his accuracy is what may keep him from being elite. IMO accuracy is the most important QB attribute. It is something you either have or you don't. Henne's accuracy is decent but it is not special. I see him as a QB that can (eventually) get you to the playoffs but will only occasionally be able to put the team on his back.

As for the release, I agree that it's not worth our debating it any longer but I do think the Dolphins saw the difference. In Irelands PC after day 1 they asked him what he liked about Henne and he talked about his toughness, 4 year starter, strong arm, etc. (nothing about release or getting the ball out quickly). When asked about Beck he said "strong arm and a quick release". He then went on to talk about how they were just gathering good football players and that drafting Henne had nothing to do liking or not liking Beck, etc. But it sounded to me like the release was a counter-point between the two QBs. That he felt it was a significant difference. My guess is that once TC starts we'll hear a lot more about that difference.

Bpk and my 2 cents like this.
  18. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I can agree with that...I think we value or more correctly...... view different attributes as the most important in a QB translating into something special. I personally think that the arm, and intangibles,,,,,,like situational awareness, confidence, etc... are the two biggies...BUT I can definitely understand your point given what is your opinion in what translates to success....Good debate Rafael.....

rafael likes this.
  19. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Thanks for the input. Its funny you mention Fiedler. Its who he reminds me of also. Slightly better version but what does that get you? One extra win in the playoffs maybe?

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Actually, Cam Cameron did mention Beck's mechanics early on. He was asked about it in one of the early PCs. Cam said that Beck's release point was a little low but that they didn't feel it would affect his accuracy so they weren't going to mess with it. In my experience it's just a philosophy difference. It was noticed by both regimes but it was given different levels of importance.

It was the same thing with the footwork. Beck played out of the shotgun a lot in college. It was always going to be one of his biggest NFL adjustments. The reports out of training camp were that it was the first thing they started working on. So your evaluation was accurate but you weren't the only one to notice it. I just think that you've been hanging out with people with less evaluation skill than you have. All they do is parrot the few things they read. I ran into that at the old finheaven site in the main. The VIP site there is what kept me coming back. There were still disagreements but they were more likely to be based on rational thought and personal observation.

With regards to the arm strength, it's not just a subjective evaluation. Beck had the fastest velocity at the combine when measured by a radar gun. I think that in the games though Beck usually employs more touch than most so that's confused with lacking arm strength. I personally wouldn't advise him to change that unless CBs started jumping his routes. If he's getting it there with the right timing without firing it then it is a much more catchable pass.

my 2 cents, Bpk and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Excellent post. Quick question though. Were you comparing college film vs. college film? Or Beck in Miami vs. Henne in college?

22. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I did a little research on Henne, watching several videos. He does have somewhat of an elongated release, but not on all of his throws. He seems to bring it back farther to get added velocity on his throws. He definitely has a strong arm and throws a nice tight spiral.
    Truthfully, I am excited by all three of the quarterbacks and hopefully we have the nice insurance at QB we have lacked for so long.
    We have the coaches in place to get the most out of the talent on hand and I cant wait for the season to start.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One thing Jay Fielder did not have was good velocity on this throws. The guy could not throw a good out pattern

24. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's what I'm wondering.

25. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I think the comparison of John to Jay Fielder is very good as far as desire and drive are conserned. If Jay had been given John's arm we would have had a QB to remember. That is one of the reason I really like and want John to succeed. More than that though is the fact that I want the best guy on the field for us no matter who it is. I want the Dolphins to become winners again and soon.

26. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains

No I did not compare College game DVD's so of it was not all together a apples vs. apples....I mentioned that in a post so I was not trying to fool anyone. I only have what I have which is a lot of Dolphin DVD's and although a lot of college...a pretty wide variety and no where near enough to make a statement of certainty even if I was qualified enough which I am not....Good point to be highlighted though.

27. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Amen to that...finally let the best guy play at all positions.......

28. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains

Great point and very possible.......GREAT point!!!!

if has arm issues we will know soon enough if we operate a typical BP offense which is based on the assumption a Sparano offensive will resemble a Parcels offense. By that I mean Parcells typically liked to use a TE in the deep middle all the way back to Bavaro, and throw to the WR on short crosses and more importantly intermediate outside the hash routes where Keyshawn was such a good fit at Receiver.

29. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I always rooted and liked Fiedler and I never really bashed him ....anywhere...he has such high character and gave great effort to the Fins. That is one of the reasons I also like Beck...he just seems like such a damn nice likable hard working high character guy. Truth be told Henne seems a little ****y in the little I have seen him....but I would either to get a TRUW quality NFL QB...and lets not forget McCown. McCown is entering that area of games where Bill Walsh said the light usually goes on, 30 starts or so...hopefully we can benefit from someone else training our QB...................

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    JF's out pattern throws were always an adventure. They probably caused more breath holding in the stadium than any other single act.

gafinfan likes this.
  31. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    What about Ray Lucas option pass...catch either end...............as it tumbles by.

gafinfan likes this.
  32. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I just caught myself..one of the stronger arms I ever saw as a Dolphin was Jim Jensen in his first couple years.....remember these?

Do you know to hang on to a Jim Jensen pass........wait until it quits rolling and then go pick it up.................

He could throw it thru a barn door...just could not hit the door...........

Should have sent Jensen to invade Iraq, cause he could overthrow anyone......

33. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Good thread all around.

34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Oh no I wasn't implying that you were trying to fool anyone, I just read your original post and didn't see it mentioned.

Regarding whether or not a Sparano offense will resemble a Parcells offense etc., you don't have to extrapolate or speculate too hard, if you recall Sparano was Dallas's OC during Parcells last year. 2006. Much was made about Jason Garrett's breakout offense last year, but if you compare stats, Sparano's was not much behind, and thats with a greener Romo. 360 ypg (sparano) vs. 365 ypg (Garrett).

I am in no way qualified to break that down, but just look to 2006 for a glimpse. Just remember, Parcells is now upstairs, Sparano is now the Coach, and Henning the OC.

35. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    No problem JD we're good.

36. Jed

Jed Ryan to Wallace!

Jan 3, 2008
    NY
    Good thread. Personally I'm rooting for Beck because I think he has the most potential for greatness, but if McCown or Henne turns into the new Derek Anderson I'm all for it.

I'm rooting for Beck because of the leadership and how well he played in CrunchTime in college. That doesn't mean Henne or McCown can't do that...

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Good call! Thinking back JJ may have had the strongest Dolphin arm. Dan had great velocity but JJ may have had just as much and he could definitely throw it farther.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'd still go with JF's out. It just took so long to get there that the breath holding became difficult and the exhale if the pass got there was audible throughout the stadium. Of course if the pass was picked then the exhale became a curse which was also audible.

39. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    John Beck on his release: http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=347&sid=vj601nab53o6pqc64sun229ia2 *it was interview number 11 at the time that I made this post*

Basically he says that they got it back to where it was before he got injured his sophomore year. He was getting his shoulder shot up and taped down which changed his throwing motion, and no one asked him to change it back.

He also had really good things to say about Ted Ginn.

pennphinfan and alen1 like this.
  40. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    This is from the sun sentinel:

rafael likes this.