1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK I am DUMB but these cuts and moves smell of "Budget" Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    OK your smarter than me I know that however I am really really worried that this franchise is NOW in a Major freefall so hear me out.

While I understand there are two sides to the business it seems we are now in the "Budget" mode of the dolphins from here on out..

Yes we bought some Key Free Agents this offseason, but since then it seems we are doing everything we can in spite of hurting our offense and defense to save a buck.

I mean the Oline was a MAJOR source of frustration during the Preseason and we now CUT a high caliber highly paid player and sign a "Middle Of the Pack" player to replace him.

Bill Parcells steps down as the VP and is a consultant (less money). Pink slips are flying all over the place and we have GAMES in 3 DAYS to prepare for.

I honestly may b jumping the gun here of course but man it seems we are selling off everything as the Front Office and TEAM understand that they are not going to be a Contender this year so clear out now and keep rebuilding..

Hope I am wrong but it feels like this to me!

2. CP1708

CP1708 New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Some of these moves have me puzzled as well. But I am waiting to see actual games before I worry too much. These could simply be moves based on performance in camp, over the summer, preseason, weight issues, lack of effort, etc etc etc, so they obviously know things we do not. See how we look after a couple games before we worry too much about what they are doing.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Parcells likely makes the same amount of money as before.

JimToss likes this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Berger beat Grove. We simply released a player who was going to be too pricey to keep as a backup. No big deal.

my 2 cents, Tin Indian and 2xBlown like this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Jake had some injuries I get it, but man were sure clearing out the closet so to speak hope it means were getting healthy players but there is going to be some real problems on the OLINE for a few weeks hope Henne does not get killed out there!

6. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Dansby? Marshall?

Agua, Tin Indian and GMJohnson like this.
  7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Ahem, an injured backup.

We probably needed to bring in a backup until Grove was healed anyways.

I'm guessing this means center will be a higher priority in FA/the draft next year.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Parcells is paid 23 million whenever he leaves the dolphins organization.

Last yr:

1-highest or second highest payroll in the NFL

2-Ross lost money on paper.

We added Dansby and Marshall, there were no rookie holdouts, I have some qualms in the depth department but am not to upset at adding Carpenter and Smith to the ST unit.

Tin Indian and fins1 like this.
  9. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Maybe you could cite some examples of what you are talking about?

Between Long, Marshall, and Dansby we have three of the highest paid
    players at their respective positions...Not to mention Carey, who is
    vastly overpaid.

Smiley was a walking injury. He was vastly overpaid, and he was cut.
    Look at his history. You may as well just accept he will wind up on
    IR every year.

Anderson was cut when we brought in Carpenter, but as I pointed out
    in a post this weekend, their respective stat lines are identical, with Carpenter
    being the cheaper player, and playing ILB, which Anderson doesn't do.

I think you're getting wound up over nothing. What players are you upset
    about being cut for which other players?

10. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    He absolutely makes the same amount. He could've walked at any time.
    The way his contract was structured, he could have literally walked the day after he signed it and gotten the whole contract.

So, it's the same amount of money, simply a change of duties. I would expect that Parcells will
    be gone entirely by the end of the year.

11. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Id hope Ross wasnt so stupid to call us a contender if we are that crappy.

We have a strong team but i feel like were micro managing details. we need to be solid not tinkering

Im nervous cant wait for the game sunday! :up:

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I think things have changed for Ross and his attitude since the days of the Marshall and Dansby signings.

Suddenly mofo is looking for nickels wherever he can find them. He either had some big bills he couldn't pay, or saw some massive financial contraction in his financial statements and has taken a new attitude.

I think Parcells timing of his announcement if because Bill isn't interested in putting up with this bull****, since it means releasing good players. If the head guy is making you cut costs, you no longer have your dream job.

In another thread I think it was Section 126 who said he had a source who confirmed the order to cut costs came from the top.

If Ross' own financial stinginess continues ( don't talk to me about Dansby and Marshall, with the way Ross is acting now he would never sign them today) then I'll have to ask whether to put a cent of my money into this teams ( and Ross') pockets.

**** Ross.

pocoloco likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, people are wringing their hands over shuffling backups and role players.

I will say this, if Sparano and Ireland believe in motivation via Fear, they are certainly doing a good job of implementation.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. Bpk

Examples???

DAvid Martin
    Marques Douglas
    Charles Grant
    Jake Grove

Now tell me their replacements on the roster aren't ****ing cheap scrubs compared to them.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    David Martin couldn't play anymore.
    Jake Grove was BEAT out by Berger. What's the point of keeping him if he isn't going to start and commands top dollar?

Douglas and Grant are the only two that matter, but they were old and would not have seen much playing time anyway.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Do notice that only David Martin was signed by another team?

That is do to Buffalo being thread bare at Te, they waived a Te who they just picked up two weeks beforehand.

17. Bpk

No Padre, over the mindset of our owner.

The way sailors grow concerned the first four times their captain shows signs he intends to sail them into the Antarctica when the plan had been to go to the Caribbean.

Oh, but what's the big deal??? Captain just turned the wheel a bit! Everything else is the same! Look! Ship looks the same!

Yeah, but now we're pointing at the ****ing south pole. Where ya think we'll end up in two years, then???

Come on people, an attitude chane at the top changes EVERYTHING. it just takes time to show up.

So, do I trust Captain Ross anymore?

Not sure I do. Maybe we mutiny.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Show me which productive Starter that has been waived?

That is why i'm not particularly upset by all of this, they are shuffling the bottom of the roster, so what? Should Miami be the mtn of gold for non Starting Veterans to sign with and hang out on the sidelines?

As fans we of course should want Ross to spend money, as a Business, how long is that sustainable?

My only beef is Clifton Geathers for Marques Douglas to backup Odrick.

But I realize that is maybe 10 snaps per game.

siciliansith and Two Tacos like this.
  19. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I don't see how dumping Groove is indictive of turning 180 degrees. Look at the offseason we had. The cap is coming back and if we have any question about the long term viability of anyone, this is the year to drop that salary. Now is the best time to do it for the players on the edge too, they had a whole offseason and preseason to show what they had.

**edit**

Also winning sells more tickets than anything. Getting cheap on players salaries is not the way to make more money in the NFL. Win more, sell more, and charge more.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Stitches and Anonymous like this.
  20. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I don't think for a second Parcells is taking less money.

From all reports Berger and Grove were equal this preseason.

Grove was destined to be traded or waived once Berger got the job. You don't pay a guy that much to sit. You can argue than he should start, but Sparano is an offensive line guy, if he wanted Berger, I'll go with him.

21. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    The only thing i have gathered from the recent roster moves is that if you come to play for the dolphins, you better come to work. If you prove yourself we'll pay you, and if you don't. We're not afraid to cut you. Nothing more, nothing less.

padre31, xer0 and siciliansith like this.
  22. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Really? These are the players you're concerned about?

Douglas, the Undrafted free agent that wasn't even drafted...Such a superstar that the Dolphins were his FIFTH team he'd played for...Including the Ravens three times. He of all of 64 tackles and 1.5 sacks last year? Really? He's somone you're concerned about replacing?

Martin?
    They superstar that didn't even post and stats in '09? The guy that couldn't manage to unseat superstars Bubba Franks and Randy McMichael? You're worried about replacing HIM?

Jake Grove I can see being a little upset about, but considering he has only managed to string together ONE...Yes ONE full season in his entire career, and only started 10 games for us last year, I don't see what the big deal is.

Sad fact in life is that if you can get someone to do a job signifigantly cheaper than someone else, and at a level that isn't that far below the more expensive person, employers are going to do that every time. This franchise has shown they are willing to pay FAs top dollar, but also have shown they are willing to cut bait if those choices aren't working out.

Guess where Wilford is playing this year, for instance?

Their replacements may or may not work out better than they do. You
    don't know, and nither do I, but I do trust that Sparano, who at one time was an OL coach can judge NFL talent at that position, and the people we have in place are making the right choices.

Bpk likes this.
  23. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    These are all backups who were getting paid very little anyway. I don't buy the cost saving thing and I certainly don't buy Parcells taking off because of money issues. Parcells' contract is up soon anyway, and he's still constantly around the team.

24. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    So...Don't talk to you about signing two of the top FAs at their positions...But talk to you about cutting loose some overpaid scrubs.

:lol:

Right.

All you've got are some cut scrubs and a bunch of speculation. If Parcells wanted to leave, he could leave, and take all his money with him. In fact, he's still an employee of the organization. Why wouldn't he leave if he was so upset? He has literally nothing to lose.

Good strategy on your part, BTW...Dont' support what's supposedly your favorite team after they go out and sign two of the best FAs at their position. Don't wonder why it is if the Dolphins leave Miami. If fans don't support the team, why should they stay? I honestly can't believe all the *****ing and complaining over shaking up the bottom end of the roster.

25. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    ONLY tHING THIS PROVES IS THEPHINS.COM should make all personell moves lol

26. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    OK

Your Cut!!!!!! :shifty:

:tongue2:

siciliansith and BigDogsHunt like this.
  27. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I bet it is not just a Dolphins thing, but a league wide thing. With next year looming as a possible lockout all teams are probably trimming what fat that they can.

And I think certain individuals on the phins need to be hired as consultants for the phins (the team)

padre31 and Bpk like this.
  28. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I understand the Grove thing after reading all the discussions; I really do.

What I do not understand is the Grant or Will Allen things. Our DL wasn't exactly putting pressure on the QB in the preseason, except for Grant. Yes he's up there in years, but we have a ton of youth already on the line; why not some veteran quality? You're telling me that Grant was less valuable than Moses?

Will Allen.... well don't get me started. Our secondary is so bad we're starting Jason Allen at corner again, and you're telling me his injury that was only supposed to last a couple of games will carry him all year? What if Vontae or Jason gets injured later on in the year?

Bpk likes this.
  29. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    In Bold.

Bpk, Big E and Stitches like this.
  30. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :jt0323:more snacks and drinks available for everyone remaining

31. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    that would make things so much easier wouldnt it:shifty:
    [​IMG]

siciliansith, Big E and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  32. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    & these guys r all-pros? seriously funny stuff. at 1 time yes, now no. name rec doesnt = great

paranoia will destroy ya

Bpk likes this.
  33. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Word has it they're selling half of the facility's furniture with a premium on wooden desks and cupboards.

Also, salmon is off the menu.

Bpk and Big E like this.
  34. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    The Dolphins had the 2nd biggest payroll in the league behind the Giants last season [before Dansby and Marshall] and finished with a 7-9 record.(Giants also missed the playoffs). Now I'm assuming we have the highest payroll. I can understand wanting to save money on often injured players not named Ronnie Brown. Hopefully they find solid replacements, like John Jerry having a good year. The Marlins won two World Series since 1997 with the lowest/one of the lowest payrolls in baseball, the Dolphins haven't even been past the Divisional Round in the same timespan with one of the highest payrolls. Different sport I know, but you have to spend money right.

By the way, Parcells makes whatever money his entire contract was for, so money was not a reason for him stepping down.

35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Damn, that could have been a home run if you said "Tuna is now discounted".....warning track power! sad!:wink2:

MikeHoncho likes this.
  36. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Tuna's always cheap though. And BP is gone so we're out of Tuna regardless.

37. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    BULLSH*T NO ONE LIKES THE TUNA!
    [​IMG]

MikeHoncho likes this.
  38. Bpk

Because the two FA signings thing happened months ago and ALL the other stuff (including Parcells decision) are happening over a one week span, now.

Have you never had a chcnge in your attitude, your finances, your approach? Because you did something in the past, it is what you always do forever?

I don;t get this argument.

The personnel moves the last week (or two) have reeked of cost cutting. TODAY.

I have no clue what changed between a few months ago for Ross and TODAY. But something changed.

So, yeah, let's talk about what Ross supposedly is telling the regime NOW: cut costs.

Not how he USED to think.

And I don;t know why he isn;t walking right out the door. Maybe he is hoping they can still field a team with a shot at the Superbowl. The roster changes aren;t going to have a huge impact instantly... but the philosophy shift WILL take the team down a debuilding road slowly but surely. Unless it is a temporary philosphy.

I hope to God this is just about the labor dispute and possible lockout year.

And for those who say "Ross is loaded"! Research a little more and you'll find he couldn;t come up with enough money to buy the team as quickly as he wanted, so they had to wait. Some people even thought there was an small chance the NFL would halt the sale if his finances didn;t prove to be sufficient/stable.

Being rich also means having big costs and liabilities. He doesn;t just sleep on a pile of cash every night.

So, yeah, he spent money in the past and I loved it.

Now he is cheap, and I'mworried as hell whether this will persist.

39. Bpk

Jesus, do no one get that it's the effing PLAN that is concerning, not the actual few roster changes???

If I had a boss at Mercedes who came in and said, "Hey guys, we'll be trying to become the CHEAPEST manufacturer of cars now instead of the highest quality. Oh, and we cut a bunch of costs this week on small stuff: seatcushions, trunk latch."

I wouldn;t quit over the stupid trunk latch, but you damned well can bet money on me KNOWING that Mercedes will be making a much crappier car in several years as these types of decisions ACCUMULATE.

Why do people, when management changes, say.. "Oh I might lose my job when they change directions. Don't know if they'll still want me."

Because change comes from the top and starts with what the head of the business WANTS. A plan. A philosophy.

When that changes, the entire company WILL reflect that philosophy eventually.

How people get caught up on arguing about Cory Procter... I mean who gives a **** about Procter?? I don't.

I DO give a **** that the organization I spent a thousand dollars and thousands of hours on every year looks like it might be undergoing a major change in it's plan and philosophy.

Money and time are valuable to me, so no, I'm not about to put AS MUCH into the team if this new approach turns out to be true.

Doesn;t mean I'll stop watching. But I'd pull back on how much I spend in time and money (and emotional investment). If I'm upset it's because I love this team (obviously too much) and can;t stand the idea that the rudder may now be pointing towards it gradually getting worse.

40. Bpk

Then you don;t buy Section saying he has a reliable source that said the highest level of the organization has told them to cut costs.