1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official MLB Trade Rumors - News Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Jun 13, 2008.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Trade Rumor:

* Cleveland's disappointing 31-36 record may signal that the Indians will begin shopping impending free agent C.C. Sabathia. Asked Wednesday about possibly trading Sabathia, general manager Mark Shapiro gave sort of a non-answer, which in itself is very different than his previous stance.

Bizzarro World:

* Milton Bradley reportedly attempted to confront Royals television announcer Ryan Lefebvre in the press box following Wednesday's game due to what he felt were unfair comments made on the air. Bradley was able to keep an eye on the broadcast while serving as the team's designated hitter and took offense to a comparison Lefebvre made between him and Josh Hamilton. Luckily manager Ron Washington and general manager Jon Daniels intervened before things got ugly.

Bradley then headed back to the clubhouse in t! ears and addressed his teammates. "All I want to do is play b! aseball and make a better life for my kid than I had, that's it," Bradley said. "I love all you guys. I'm strong, but I'm not that strong." It sounds like the troubled Bradley hasn't changed a whole lot off the field, but he's having a career-year on the field by leading the league in batting average (.333), on-base percentage (.454), slugging percentage (.629), and OPS (1.082).

* While he didn't physically go after anyone, Livan Hernandez did direct an angry post-game rant at the Indians' announcing crew Thursday, accusing them of "talking bad about everybody" and suggesting that they "can wait outside in the parking lot and say something to me like a man" if they aren't interested in speaking to him in the clubhouse like other media members. Of course, Hernandez was only able to catch the broadcast because he was knocked out of the game early.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    First off, cool thread.

Second, its gonna be tough for Cleveland to move C.C considering his contract is expiring. They've got a Mark Teixiera situation on their hands. Do I think he will still get traded? Yes. The Dodgers and Yankees may make a push IMO.

Another name I keep hearing is Greg Maddux. There is specualtion about him going back to Hotlanta. Unfortunately It wouldnt be the most pleasant of reunions given that Smoltz is out for the season (shoulder) and Glavine is on the DL (elbow).

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Not so fast. I dont think Maddux is going anywhere. While the Pads started out slowly, the D-backs and Dodgers have been tripping over each other to see who can lose the most games in a row. It is still an all out race in the NL West, and San Diego's one saving grace is pitching. :wink2:

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  4. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I would have to think Maddux stays put in SD myself.

The other rumor that is floating is Seattle's willingness to move Bedard already. I have read various "rumor mill" type stuff saying if he can be moved, they would prefer to do it now. Crazy stuff.

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Braves have some nice bats in their minor league system that Im sure San Diego could use given their offensive woes.

But you're right, the West is an absolute dogfight right now and any of those 3 could end up winning it.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  6. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Couple other rumors I found fellas. As per http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

This one from YahooSports.com

7. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    Peter Gammons has said the Cubs will make a push for Sabathia. He also said they have started rumblings about Randy Wolf, Gil Meche and AJ Burnett. Also talk about them making a run at Brian Fuentes to take some load off of Carlos Marmol and Kerry Wood. I'll try finding some links for you guys.

8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    According to Jon heyman on SI.com and reiterated on WFAN radio (at about 1:40PM) the Willie watch is on. Randolph, Howard Johnson (hitting coach) and The Jacket (Rick peterson) are likely gone

9. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Jayson Stark (ESPN) has said Boston has been asking about Sabathia.

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    He is Day-to-Day.....Omar is in the drivers seat on this one for sure!

12. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    It's going to be absolute madness at the trade deadline if the Indians do trade him. They might end up getting more than the Twins got for Santana and that's nuts.

13. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    I dont think the sox need to make a move for a SP. They have 7 quality guys right now with Beckett, Dice K, Wakefield, Lester, Bucholz, Colon, and Masterson. Especially since CC won't be cheap consdering the amount of teams that will be courting him

If anything i would say we could use a hitter off the bench, a backup C and maybe find a way for someone to take Lugo and we get a SS.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Sox aren't going to get CC. Buster Olney started the CC to the Sox rumor because there were scouts at Red Sox minor league games, from there Stark picked it up and started running with it. Keith Law shot down Buster saying that scouts are at every minor league game and there is no legs to it. This is an interesting thought that I forget who said it but let's say the Sox do trade for CC and don't give up any of the following: Buchholz, Bard, Masterson, Lester, Lowrie, Bowden. They could rent CC for 2 months and then get the 2 first round picks next year. That would be interesting considering how good the FO has been with drafting talent.

I'm not sure the Sox will make a move at the deadline. First, like you said they have a lot of pitching depth (not even factoring in Schilling coming back). I think in August you'll see Masterson head to the pen to help set up, with possibly Buchholz following him. The Sox also have Daniel Bard in Double A who's been outstanding so far this year so he's a possible wild card for the playoff run.

The bullpen is the Sox weakest link and they have internal options to fill instead of trying to get an arm (I'm not sure who'd even be available that would be worth it). Of course any of this will change if there's an injury.

I do think that this trading deadline will be a dud just like the last 4 or 5 years. I'm not getting my hopes up.

15. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i wish seattle would bring back griffey..i guess at this point mise will just sign him in the offseason if he still wants to come here

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey if the M's don't fire their GM you can be sure he'd sign Griffey to a nice 5 year deal worth 80 million.

King Felix likes this.
  17. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I dont know if Griffey would want to go to a worse team than the one he's already on :wink2:

18. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Griffey WANTS to go to the Rays? If that's not a sign of how far that franchise has come, I don't know what is.

19. phunwin

Oh, and Fire Willie.

20. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Milton melted down? Everyone that is surprised please stand on your head.

21. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Omar is the only one defending him...supposedly the wilpons will back whatever he chooses. Willie is part of the problem but its becoming clear that the players specifically at LF 1B and 2B are a bigger problem.

22. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Anyone hear anything about Colorado trading Atkins or Holliday?

I wanted the Angels to make a run for Atkins last year, but they kept him, and Stoneman wouldnt make moves at the deadline so it was all moot anyway.

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm sure they'll listen to offers for both. I can't see them moving Holliday until this off season or they get blown away by an offer. I can see them moving Atkins since they have Stewart to play 3rd.

24. phunwin

Stunner, huh? It was, what, about 8 months from the last one?

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mets acquired outfielder Trot Nixon from the Diamondbacks for cash or a player to be named.
    The Diamondbacks had to be nervous about helping a team they could face in the postseason, but letting Nixon go to a team that could use him was the right move. The Mets should immediately make the 34-year-old their right fielder against right-handers. Jun. 13 - 10:54 pm et

Rotoworld.com

azfinfanmang and finswin56 like this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080613&content_id=2907737&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

27. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Petet Gammons has said the Marlins Josh Willingham has become the subject of trade talks. Although Willingham is injured right now, a team like the Red Sox might be in the market for a player with his bat.

28. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Can't find any Marlins rumors... wonder if teams are boycotting Larry Beinfest after he raped Detroit.

SICK likes this.
  29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i hope thats not true, hammer is vital to our future success imo

30. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This was from Peter Gammons blog. (paraphrased)

Unfortunately you need INsider to see the whole article but thats the jist of it. Im assuming he's hearing his name come up to mention him like that.

31. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Thats very interesting indeed considering Nixon has been here in Tucson playing for the AAA Sidewinders since...well, since Spring-training ended...:shifty:

32. phunwin

Hey that's not fair. There's nothing wrong with Dontrelle Willis having a 4.41 ERA. OK, so it's in AAA ball, so what?

33. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    D-Train's decline really saddens me. Just in terms of personality, I don't think South Florida has ever had a better pro sports player on any of its teams.

Here's hoping the pitching coaches up there can figure out what's going on and fix it. Personally, I think weight gain is one of the problems.

34. phunwin

Take the stuff in this link with a salt lick, because it's Joel Sherman, who has a tendency to pull rumors out of his alimentary canal. Nevertheless...

CC Sabathia may be on the market. Yankees' interest is lukewarm.
    Prince Fielder may be on the market, and both NY teams would be very interested, as might the Dodgers, Twins and Royals.
    The Reds want to clean house. Ken Griffey and Adam Dunn figure to be made available, as might Bronson Arroyo.
    Yankees want Damaso Marte, but aren't offering enough for the Pirates.

35. phunwin

Maybe. Or maybe it's the 817.3 innings he pitched before his 25th birthday. When Willis was 23, he threw 236.3 innings, which is insane for a pitcher that young. He threw 223.3 the year after that. And, in a totally unrelated note, he completely stunk the next season. With that screwy delivery he has, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that workload took a real toll.

I'm not sure he can be fixed; I'm starting to think the Marlins ground up his arm and served it on a bun with some cheese and bacon and called it the Dontrelle Bacon Burger Deluxe.

36. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Wow? Really?

I think that's like sitting in a rainstorm and stating "That is the largest raindrop I have ever seen".

37. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    absolutley, gammons is to respectable to just throw names out there with no merit to them

38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    in terms of "as a person" (which is what i think he is saying here) i would agree, the guy played harder than anyone, with crap crowds in the stadium, and playing for a losing team, he would slide head first into 1st base and pump his fist for a strike out in the 1st inning, he is also just a class act and a awesome person off the field, loved the guy!!!

azfinfanmang likes this.
  39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Rotoworld.com

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Rotoworld.com