1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    Tickets to the game, $550!!! Yeah my wife was uhm, nah. We got University to pay for, a senior trip and another trip to England in the fall, so looks like I will be in a pub watching the game then. However once I am there, I will look to see if I can get a decent ticket. If not, I will be back when the 2019/2020 season is on and will make sure we are there over a Premier League weekend. Lovren Fabinho will be fine without Gomez, though I do hope he is back. My big thing will be having TAA and Robertson out on the RB and LB. Any timetable on Gomez at all?

I think it has to be VVD frankly as he has made the back around him so confident. Allisson has been very good, but he is prone to slip ups whilst VVD has been great. I think Salah is getting back into it, and as he goes so does the front three and they have been on the rise. Robertson is my worker bee MVP, that guy is the Energizer Bunny, love watching him and he's in my line up on PFL over any of the others in the back 4 for Liverpool, over VVD even, he gets more opportunities for assists than VVD.

Paul 13 likes this.
  2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I think you have to pay the $550 for a chance to go to a CL game at Anfield. But when is enough enough?

I was sad to see Gomez and TAA not in the lineup for LC. 10 days prior, they had said both should be ready for it. But then Gomez has his setback. Which means he is in doubt for Bayern's double. I honestly don't have any faith that we are going to progress after the last two matches I've seen.

Loaning out Clyne is looking not so bright. I'd rather see Moreno at LB and move Robbo to RB. Hendo tried hard at RB but he's not a RB. Millner tries hard too, but he should be a panic option. I hate seeing Matip in the lineup, he's just so awkward. Our lack of depth in these positions is starting to kill us. ALthough, if you told me we'd be 5 points clear with what 14 games left (?) I'd have jumped at that. Man City have a much tougher schedule than us. But it really doesn't matter. Again, the last two matches, need to play better. Bottom line. All phases. Doesn't help that the ref in the LC match was blind.

3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    On the verge of losing the league right now... lot of injuries. Some top players not playing at their best, particularly Firmino. We are really missing Gini in the MF to bottle things up defensively. It's no wonder we've hit this rough patch without him in the lineup. I'm afraid that if Man City take over the top spot that they won't give it up. Time to button up and play better. simple really.

4. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    I know I haven't been around much again, started school back up to that's taking tons of time. We leave for England in less than 2 weeks, getting everything all sorted and just busy. I have not missed a game though, and while a little worrying our form of late I think it mainly comes down to Klopp's gamble on fitness. I saw this quote on the LFC subreddit "Perception is a funny thing in football isn’t it. In the last ten games City have dropped 12 points, we’ve dropped 7. City have lost to 3 of the teams outside the top 6, we’ve drawn against 2 of them Yet Liverpool are percieved as the ones bottling it and blowing it." As much as I wanted Ox back next season, it looks like he will be back next month and we surely need it. I think know our boys will get it back on track!! The injuries are really killing us though.

In regards to previous chatter I think that VVD has to be our MVP, and its its very hard to pick between him and Allison too. You take VVD out these last few games and we certainly lose one or both with him there. Also saw yesterday that Muller will most bought legs in CL due to his red, YES!!!

mnfinfan, get a light membership for the club next year for yourself and whomever will go to the matches with you. With that you can get try to get tickets during the members sales they hold twice a year. Once in July and once in Nov. Tickets end up being around 55 quid. Then you can get credit for match attendance, and possibly enough snag a CL (think its 4 matches in a year to qualify) ticket in members sales instead of the expensive hospitality. We are heading to the Watford match on the 27th this month. If you have any questions just let me know.

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Would be nice if Everton were to take points away from Man City today... heh... they'll probably lie down just to spite us. ugh.

finattic79 likes this.
  6. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yep, looks like you were right lol.

7. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Great match. Keita had prolly his best match of the season I think. That Gini goal, WOW!!! Was nice to get Trent some game time in before the CL. Now the long break before Bayern, wonder who will be paired with Matip? I hope that Lovern gets fit and is able to play, but will suck he won't have any gametime beforehand.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Well shoot, team left for Marbella for warm weather training and Lovern had to stay behind, major doubt. Looking more and more likely that we'll have Matip and Fabinho at CB. The one decent amount of news to counter that is Muller will miss both legs. I think Keita has to get the start and we'll prolly see a midfield of Keita, Hendo, Gini. Ox had his first day back in training with the full team!!! So definitely will have him for quarters if we make it pass Bayern.

T-mins 6 days now for leaving for the trip, so excited and can't wait to go. I'm going to be doing some scouting for some camp sights to make the trip cheaper for myself in the future. With my free flight benefits on airlines I can get over there free, a cheap air bnb room for a night or two or campsite and I might be able to do these trips for around 400 bucks. Might give me a chance to go to lots of matches!!

Paul 13 likes this.
  9. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Whelp snow storm decided to move in around our schedule take off, so we pushed up our departure to hopefully miss the snow. Leaving now in about 6 hours. We arrive in LAX for our flight to Gatwick (8hr layour) about an hour before the CL kickoff against Bayern, fortunately for us the offical LA supporters club is like 10 minutes down the road. So gonna watch the match there, and then off to the UK. Will update when I can during the trip with a few trips.

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Enjoy your trip! Take pics and post them here if you can :yes:

Must win today. I won't get to watch it live. So I'll be watching it tonight when I get home from work. This CB thing... I don't feel good about it at all. At least we get VVD back for the second leg (and this weekend's huge match as well). So maybe this one isn't a must win. Certainly can't afford to lose though.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    0-0 about the best result you could hope for other than a win hah... I have to say that Kimmich/Hummuels/Neuer were impressive in shutting us down... especially Kimmich... the good news is that he won't be out there next time due to the 2nd yellow accrued. The pressure is on Bayern now to perform at home.

It's nice to see Keita coming into form at a time when we need him. Just need for him to score now I think.

12. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Amazing back heel goal by Mane in that game against Watford (2/27/19).

Mane, Salah, and Firminho have been in a bit of a funk of late. Hopefully they will come out of it. With Alexander-Arnold back at full strength and with Keita coming on, perhaps that will help the front three break out.

Mane has probably been the most active this year. Salah is still scoring goals but has not had near the energy nor ingenuity of last year.

Paul 13 likes this.
  13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well that was a complete performance vs Watford. Just what the doctor ordered really. TAA welcome back... An amazing game from him, MOTM for me. Fabinho was very solid as well. But TAA"s crosses into the box were wonderful. Thought it might have been a trap game in between ManU and Everton.

finattic79 and Da 'Fins like this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Dominant in the second half at Bayern Munich. Such a massive difference right now between the Premier League and the Bundesliga. On to the final 8. I was debating earlier between Alisson and VVD for team MVP... it's not close... has to be big Virgil... although Sadio is making a late push. At least someone has been scoring out of the front three... So you look at the final 8 teams in the CL... four english teams of course... then Barca, Juve, Porto and Ajax. I don't really fear anyone right now. Would be a shame if we had to play Man City again though. That should wait until the final. Porto, Ajax or Tottenham would be "nice."

finattic79 likes this.
  15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Speechless. Tears. It has to be.

16. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Man I've been freaking MIA for some of the best and most critical matches. I've failed ya Paul13. I totally agree that VVD has got to be the Team MVP, and maybe even league MVP. That Spurs match nearly gave me a heartache, but again Mo in the right spot even it was on his goal scoring drought. Oh man watching Hendo in forward attacking position is a thing of beauty.

This team is clicking again at the right time, nearly everyone is back. Keita, man what a couple of matches he has had. He started out shaky against Southampton but that goal lifted a huge weight off him, you could see it on his face. Then he was money against Porto, good lead to take back to Portugal and hopefully go through. Lallana was also great when he has played the last month, think hes got a slight knock but expected back. I'm going to be so gutted if we don't bring home the title, but for like half a second before I realize that this team is set up for the future, not a one of title challenge.

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Man I totally didn't get any shots during the match because it was bonkers, seeing them score 5 was absolutely amazing. Such a great trip and already trying to figure out how to get back.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Two things that need to happen rest of this season. If, sadly, we don't win the league, I want it to come down to the final weekend. Every game is that much more satisfying week in and week out... it's building up to an amazing ending... hopefully. Having said that, not sure I can take it... haha! And the other thing, got to get back to the CL final and this time WIN it! Looking good so far vs Porto, them having not scored a goal the first leg really sets up well for the second leg. As long as we score one goal, they need to beat us by 3, which I don't see happening (4-1 or 5-2 in one game?).

If it happens, Barca in the semis is going to be epic...

Da 'Fins and finattic79 like this.
  19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    F Chelsea!

finattic79 likes this.
  20. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    F Chelsea!!!! Though that Robo slip was way to familiar, luckily we had a 2 goal lead and much better defense this time around. Salah's goal was a masterpiece, unreal and at the perfect time. I honestly think the title gets settled this week, it'll definitely go to the final week before the winner is crowned but if we are to win it, this stretch of matches for City of Spurs(CL)-Spurs-United will prolly determine who wins.

Keita put in another great performance and showing why Klopp wanted him and has been patient with him. I'm really liking the midfield of Keita-Fab-Hendo, Hendo has been a beast up top with Keita in the forward role. I really want Barca, and hope that we get the second leg at Anfield, bring on the giants our boys in Red will take them down!!

21. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    F CITY!!! What a spectacular match that was, I had Liverpool on the big tv and streamed the City-Spurs match on my tablet. What a way to lose a match for City, they have to be completely devastated right now, 30 secs of pure unadulterated joy to be smashed. The look on their faces was priceless. If there was anytime that City might drop points is the next two matches, Spurs again (HAHAHAHAHA) and scum at Old Trafford. Here's to hoping though they drop some points. Also wow on Ajax beating Juve, going to be an interesting semi between Spurs and them.

As for our game, that's what wins leagues and cups. We were absolute **** the first 30 minutes, and nearly let them turn the tie in a real match. Then the well oiled machine showed up in the second half with Bobby getting in on the action. Absolutely love that each of the front three got a goal (I think its been a bit since that has happened). Well bring on the Barca, going be good. I am happy that we get the second leg at Anfield in case we have a bad one at Camp Nou.

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Another week... and it continues.

Yeah, you brought up Ajax... wow what a young group of talented players they have. Dutch football on the way back perhaps. Although, they probably can't keep them for next year. I wouldn't mind a couple at LFC but we don't "need" that.

finattic79 likes this.
  23. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Sadly, I think this ManU(er) v Man City match was the final hope for Liverpool.

ManU is so irritating. They get super hot and play great for about two months, including a tie vs Liverpool, and then decide to fall apart at the end of the season when they play Man City.

I will forever despise them for this. Hopefully they will finish 6th after this loss and then watch the international competition from the sidelines.

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yea I didn't hold much hope they'd be able to do anything and they didn't. I think title is now theirs unfortunately, but we do have one last hope with Brendan Rodgers and Leicester. Oh well, our boys have had an unreal season and is in no way a failure in the league, if we win out we'll have improved out point total by 22 points which is absolutely amazing. We still have the champions as well. Though as they say, its not over until the fat lady sings, and that won't happen May 12th.

Oh VVD was announced as the winner of PFA over Sterling, which is freaking awesome!!

Paul 13 and Da 'Fins like this.
  25. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Van Dyke is such a stud - I totally have a man crush on him. So great to hear that.

Man, if Leicester could by some miracle pull out a draw it would be amazing.

I have to say the crowds and watching Liverpool home games this year - I've never seen anything like it. Goose bumps. And I love this team. They are truly a great team. Just a hair breadth away from two great titles. I'll take either but winning the PL would be so great. Also, I love when Arlo White calls the game for NBCSN. He totally gets the factor of the crowds and lets the sound of the game be heard. I don't think there's a home crowd on earth like Liverpool's.

finattic79 and Paul 13 like this.
  26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    De Gea's effort in that match (vs Man City) was shambolic. It's as if he wanted his Spanish friends to win the league... who'd a thunk that?

finattic79 likes this.
  27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    the only thing I don't like about NBC's coverage when it's their crew calling the game is that the sound appears to be a split second ahead of the game. I don't know if it's just me (Directv). But it's only when they are calling the game. When it's a PL crew (from England) it's fine.

28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Today's game was a blast. Bringing on Shaq and Ox seemed to indicate (with Salah and Mane staying on) that Klopp is going for the goal differential. Anyway, Barca on Wed will be epic. Will be interesting to see what we do if Firmino isn't playing (slight muscle tear apparently). Do we go with a different look with Ox or Shaq coming in? I thought both hit the ground running in today's second half albeit against Huddersfield. Can they counter against Barca on the road like that? Hmmm... would be nice. Or do they need Origi to come in and hold up play on the counter?

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    at least we have Liverpool....

30. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't think I've ever loved a futbol team more than this year's Liverpool team. I love every player in the lineup. Wish the other starting FB were healthy the whole year.

But, I also wish there were one more game against Man City. I'd really love to get them in the form that both teams are in right now. Would be a fantastic battle.

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Was absolutely amazing see Ox back on the pitch, and Anfield showed him the love. I'll admit, my eyes watered up when he made it on as well. Great match again from us, the front line is in great form. Bobby looks like he will be fine to start Wednesday from the news coming out today, we dodged a bullet there. Also Fab is cleared to play already for Wednesday, so everyone should be available. The way that Klopp managed Keita is returning huge dividends. We are seeing the type of play from him that we saw in highlights from his time in Leipzig.

Man that City goal was so close. Leicester is going to be a tough one, they are really in form of late. Would be awesome if they win, I'm still not holding out much hope though. We did everything right this season, still in it for the Champions league. As the Boss said, this is just the beginning, the first of many title challenges to come.

Da 'Fins and Paul 13 like this.
  32. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Courtesy of the r/LiverpoolFC sub. This guy has been doing them since last year, they are great.

33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Dont know if we will beat Barca to advance. But i have a feeling we will win the league. The pressure is all on Man City. We have no pressure and i think we are better for it. We have played much better in league games since returning to second place (with even games played). We have City right where we want them.

finattic79 likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well that's a disappointing result against Barca... to lose 3-0. We had chances. Should have scored at least once. Salah certainly, he hits the post and it bounces away... They hit the cross bar and it bounces to a wide open Messi. They were lucky, we were not. The injury to Keita really changed the game in that first half. We were looking lively up until that point. Almost dominant. It reminded me of when Salah went down in the final last year. Changed that game. This one changed on Keita's injury. The way we were setup with that formation. Should have maybe brought on Firmino earlier there. I mean for the ball to fall to Milner (who replaced Keita on the left of the MF diamond), and he misses twice in that second half... two opp's that I reckon Keita scores on (both actually). It is what it is.

We make really one mistake all game defensively and that gave them their 1-0 lead. Then you have a lucky sequence that results in Messi heading it home for 2. The third goal, what can you say?

Looking unlikely, but not impossible. Can't get caught on a break. They might regret not scoring a fourth. We need to come out balls to the wall at Anfield. Shaq and Ox should both be in (assuming Keita is out). I'm thinking a 4-3-3 with Robbo, VVD, Gomez, TAA at the back... Shaq/Fabinho/Ox in the mid... and our usual three at forward. **** it...

Must have a short memory as we need to ramp it up against Newcastle on the road. It won't be easy. Rafa won't concede, unfortunately.

35. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yea very unlucky performance. Basically was a game of made chances. Barca made the most of the chances and we squandered ours. I completely agree the Keita injury was huge for us, without him or Firmino it really slowed us down. I'm almost positive the scissor tackle was the cause of the injury. If he had stayed in the game I think we create a few more chances and definitely get one before first half.

Agree I think we can definitely pull this one out, it will be difficult and unlikely. Overall the only thing I wish Klopp had put Bobby in earlier, but the game was really going our way until Messi's first goal. I go in with hope, and think they'll get a nice win, but not overcome the tie. I'm happy with it if it ends that way. Like Klopp, I'm proud of them.

Paul 13 likes this.
  36. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yea Klopp has really been very positive in his comments on the game. He really is sending a message to everyone that the importance right now is Newcastle. Keita will be out rest of season. Firmino likely wont start. So it will be interesting to see how he sets up

I wasnt much of a fan of seeing Gini in that false nine role. They called it a diamond. Its really what we normally play. Its just that Firmino is such a great two way player in that role. And we dont have anyone who can replace him like that. Sturridge was a fifth wheel last time out.

These late season injuries are showing a lack of depth in the creativity department. We have depth its just not the kind of depth we would prefer. Like to see that be a focal point this summer.

We have been somewhat fortunate in the injuries most of the season. Especially with our front three. Knock on wood !!!!

37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The league will be won or lost pending results vs Newcastle and Monday with City vs City. Think next weeks league games are decided. Wolves wont be easy but to lose that at home would be shocking. And City at BHA. Yea thats not going our way.

finattic79 likes this.
  38. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yep 100% this is the weekend to decide the title. Here's to hoping Brendan does us a favor and just holds them to a tie.

39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    ****s sake. Either way, im glad this will be over soon. Heart cant take this weekly anymore. Such a swing of emotions. NU tied it up twice. Saw a bit of the “old LFC” in not being able to protect leads in this one. And then losing Salah to an ugly head injury. Im thinking thats it. But Shaq comes on and delivers a peach that Origi gets something on. Yeah it goes off a NU head too but thats all on the delivery in. I was moaning on earlier about our lack of depth. But there is something magical about this team this season.

Long term its not ideal. A bit thin. But how many big goals have been scored by unsung heroes? Especially Origi. Pretty good move to bring him back eh? Have to pat myself on the back there. Sturridge though... but he did play better today. I will give him that.

So if Man City win on Monday, looking ahead to Barca, if that is lost by half time on Tuesday, you have to think about time management for Wolves. But i have a feeling LC gets a result for us on Monday. Just got that feeling. We are going to win this!!!

finattic79 and Da 'Fins like this.
  40. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Bottom line. LFC is going to be league contenders for the next several years. Their avg age is mid 20s. And theres nothing a 25 yard strike by Kompany can do about that. Its not lost yet. We have pushed a great team to the brink, the final weekend.

Now lets give Barca something to think about tomorrow. Even without two of our best offensive players. Start Ox and Shaq!!!

finattic79 likes this.