1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yea that was very questionable sub... Mane should be well rested... I was expecting Firmino to be subbed off since he was struggling. Its so frustrating to watch Liverpool play right now. They create so many chances, but yet can't finish of late. Couple that with giving up such easy goals makes it a real struggle for them right now. The one big take away from this out of form spell we are having is that I hope Klopp breaks his Jan transfer habits of not buying and goes hard again for VVD.

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    and if it's not VVD, there are other CB's that can improve this team. They don't have to be the world's best center back either. I was watching the U21's in the Euros this summer. Came away highly impressed by Alfie Mawson. He's currently on Swansea at the moment. He's like a young John Terry for me (same size). Not physically imposing, but does enough, and is very solid in fundamentals.

finattic79 likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Massive blow for the Reds. Sadio Mane sidelined for up to 6 weeks with a hamstring injury #LFC

Just found out. Hope he will be back for some important CL matches. Ugh. Major blow. Hate when our big players go back to their intl teams.

4. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yea pretty darn big blow, especially considering the form the team has been in as a whole. The one good thing is that Lallana is doing well and ahead of schedule getting past him injury. He's back to running and possibly to feature by end of the month.

5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Too bad we can't play Maribor every week. I wonder, if Maribor were in England, which division would they slot into?

6. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Not one bit surprised that we lost 4-1 to Spurs.... that was embarrassing. I've barely been able to think about how bad we were in that game all week long, especially since I don't see it getting better unless Gomez ends up doing a better job. I hope that we never see Lovern on the pitch in a red **** anymore... that was some high school defending right there. Matip hasn't been that good either the last few games.....

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    it was awful. we didn't totally quit in that game like we did against Man City. The scoreline suggested we did. The CB issues are so glaring. We could put Gomez at CB, convert Can or Henderson to CB once Lallana gets back. But we'll keep trotting out Lovren and Matip. Sebastian Coates laughs at our defending.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    nice game vs West Ham. Getting Mane back is so key going forward. He's such a great player. And Salah has exceeded all expectations to this point of the season. Thought the lineup yesterday was interesting. A lot of talk about it being a 4-2-4... with Ox joining the three regular forwards. It's also something that can easily drop to a 4-4-2 with Ox and Mane dropping back to help the full backs. Of course you've got the two holding MFers there as well. Think Klopp has finally figured out that he can keep Gomez and Moreno back more in line with his CB's. That should help them tremendously. It also helps to have both Mane and Salah in the lineup together to allow this flexibility. It will be interesting to see how Lallana and Coutinho are integrated back into the lineup now. A ton of options. Except at center back.

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Great game once we took the lead vs Southamption. A little nervy up until that point, I guess some of that was rust coming of the international break. Anyway, Salah and Mane were sensational. Coutinho added the brilliance and creativity. And Firmino... I don't know what it is, but he adds to the mix and is a good team guy. I think he has a good fundamental understanding of what his responsibilities are. And when you're the fourth wheel to that sports car, it all works well. Now if we can just keep these four healthy and available the rest of the season, we SHOULD get back to challenging for a top 4 spot. And the CL is going to be interesting. Big game this week vs Sevilla. I haven't found a live viewing available for my DVR to record... only a recorded one I think on Thursday (the game is on Tuesday). Work and all... oh well.

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Nice run of games lately. We'll find out on Monday morning which B team we'll be paired with for the round of 16.

Group Winners
    Man Utd
    PSG
    Roma
    Barcelona
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Besiktas
    Tottenham

Runners up
    Basel
    Bayern Munich
    Chelsea
    Juventus
    Sevilla
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Porto
    Real Madrid

So LFC can't be paired against Chelsea or Sevilla for the round of 16. Out of the other six teams, the three big names Bayern Munich, Juventus and Real Madrid would seem on paper to be less favorable than the other three. We'll see.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    So we're set with a H2H against Porto. Not a bad draw. Some of the other matchups... Real Madrid vs PSG (set your DVRs), Juventus vs Tottenham, CHelsea vs Barcelona. Feb 14th and Mar 6th for us. hope we have VVD by then. Lovren is killing me. Was a soft penalty, but his reputation helped the call.

12. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    I feel bad for Lovern, he had one of his best games of the year excluding that weak *** ****ing penalty. Great CL draw for us, and I hope to gosh your right that we have VVD by then. Sorry be absent for a bit, been super busy with work/life.

Paul 13 likes this.
  13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    VVD... GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man, I found out late last night about him signing for 75m pounds (wow). I'd been waiting for the Jan 1st window to start up, but monitoring rumors on and off thru social media. Hadn't checked the twitter feed for a couple of days... hah, he actually signed officially on the 27th of December in the morning. Aside from the "I don't understand the transfer market being active before the window hits"... this is a glorious moment. You'd expect him to be the player that takes us to that next level on a more consistent basis. The talk all season has been about how we can't defend well enough. VVD has to change that... he has to. It'll be interesting to see who gets paired with him in the long term. I mean I think you'll see rotation there but long term he needs a partner.

I think the weakness is now the goal tending. I mean we have to have something to ***** about don't we? I've liked Migs... but to be dominant... a championship contender across all platforms, is he really that guy? I like Danny Ward to be that guy but I don't expect Klopp to play him any time soon. I'm not sure why we've stashed him behind Migs and Karius for the first half of this season.

It'll be interesting to see who we send out this window via transfers and loan outs. Sturridge is probably gone. Ings and Woodburn will likely get loaned out. Do we bring anyone else in? Talk of Goretzka (Germany - Schalke). But perhaps not till next summer. I'd like to see us keep Emre Can and Phil Coutinho. And maybe bringing in a player of VVD's caliber (and cost, now the highest transfer fee for a defender) is a sign that we're committed to taking that next step and maybe... just maybe... we can keep both Can and Coutinho. I know, it's probably not going to happen. But we're better equipped now to handle Coutinho's departure (with Keita coming in) and the front 3 developing nicely.

finattic79 likes this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Glorious win at Burnley. Just before the Burnley equalizer, I was thinking, this is the kind of game we need to win, if we are to compete for top 4 this season... if we give up a goal... we're going to be chasing the top 4. Sure enough, lucky deflection, catches Klavan chasing for the header and Gomez (who has been superb FWIW) falls asleep at the back post and we're tied. But then OX's magical FK to Lovren (of all people) and Klavan nods it in at the back post (it was probably going in anyway, and I'm damn giddy he wasn't called offsides!).

What a win heading into a break. Will be interesting to see what kind of resources JK devotes to the FA Cup match... probably with it being against Everton (and after what happened last outing), I'd suspect he might devote more resources than normal. Plus he's got a respite till the Man C match... a biggie...

finattic79 likes this.
  15. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yes two glorious wins in 48 hours. Very good comebacks which we haven't normally been capable of this season. Its amazing how a second of not being on can cost a team with Gomez's mistake, but easily forgivable since he normally never makes silly mistakes like that. You're right we sure did need to win a few matches like this. Also nice to get a win from the back line instead of them costing us points, but tbf Lovern and Klavan have been playing quite well of late.

As for transfer business, YES WE FINALLY GOT VVD!!! I think the rest of our business will be selling and loaning out players. I to was pretty happy to see the Goretzka talk but alas he's going to be a Bayern player now :-/. I hear that Southampton is very interested in Sturridge, I think we should do them the solid and sell him to them hahaha. Ward and Ings for sure need to go out on loan for the experience. TBH I don't really care if we keep Can, he's a good footballer but he bugs me so much due to him completely disappearing in some matches, his consistency is just so frustrating. As for Coutinho I really truly believe we are going to keep him, especially after the VVD signing. Also if I was Liverpool higher ups I been whispering in his ear every damn day "Why leave for Barca and become just another superstar that makes their way through their system when you can become a legend at Liverpool and go down in history as one of the best ever at the club".

16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, I'm utterly disappointed about Coutinho going to Barcelona. He was one of my favorites. Truly a special player. And he will be missed. The worst part of this is that we couldn't drag it out until the summer. We're in the middle of the season, vying for top 4, to further our efforts in the CL sweet 16, FA Cup... and as you saw against Everton yesterday, not having both Coutinho and Salah in the lineup really takes alot of the power out of the frontal attack. I'm disappointed that he felt the need to leave in the middle of the season... disappointed in him. I want to wish him well but it's difficult. Similar to when we lost Suarez. Is Barcelona that much better? I mean what is the attraction? Sure that sounds like sour grapes, but I don't care. LFC fan first and foremost. Part of me will watch to see how Coutinho does there and I won't be unhappy if he doesn't have the kind of impact they are expecting.

what now? The good news is that I don't expect LFC to panic and over spend in this window to try and replace him. Because first, his talent is going to be very difficult to replace. It's even more difficult to do in a short winter window. LFC have also shown in the past that if they have their heart set on a player, they will wait and make it work. There hasn't been a plan B for players like Keita and VVD whom they eventually signed. There is talk of us looking at Lemar. I haven't seen enough of him to form a qualified opinion. Riyad Mahrez on the other hand I do know quite well. I honestly don't see him as Klopp's kind of player. He's more attack minded and less of a defender. He's not going to fight for the ball after the attack fizzles out. That won't sit well with Klopp and i'd doubt we're truly interested (despite the reports). With Lallana coming back I don't know that you have to go out and sign someone this window to add to the attack. As long as Mane, Firmino and of course Salah are healthy the rest of the season, we should be fine. Must spend the money wisely and not panic.

EDIT.. Manuel Lanzini... wouldn't mind him.

finattic79 likes this.
  17. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    **** that **** Coutinho. I normally wouldn't say it like that about him but I'm ****ing pissed off, as you pointed out to do this in the middle of the season is utter bs. He can't play CL anymore this season, Barca have the league on lockdown right now. There is absolutely no reason to leave in the middle of the season other than to be a ****ing ****!!! The only thing he gets is ****ing over the club that help him rise to the be the player he is, and imho owes alot of the development to Klopp as well. I do think that we will be fine though with the depth we have, so yea I agree that we shouldn't rush to replace him with a big signing that isn't well thought out. My bother was an armchair Barca fan for many years, but I've turned him into a proper Red these last two years (we watch nearly every game together and wait all day at times) and he is done with Barca as well.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Mahrez and your assessment of him. I was actually kinda upset when someone posted in the r/Liverpool board that we signed him for like 50 million, glad that wasn't true hahaha. As for potential replacements I've heard the usuals but have no opinion since they don't play in EPL and don't see much of them. I 100% trust Klopp's transfer judgement, even the Coutinho one as well, so not worried. He'll get the right player for the team when he comes to an informed decision, so gonna keep calm and root on for the Reds!! Love the quote from Klopp below in the image as well.

Also on another note, what a debut for VVD. He was solid on backline and that winner, my god it will be nice to get some goals from a defender lol.

Attached Files:

Paul 13 likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Keita is a box to box version of Phillipe Coutinho. He's not a finisher in the final third. He's not an outside the 18 threat typically either. He's more Kante than Coutinho. Against a team that is sitting back, I'm not totally sure he is a locksmith the way PC was. I'm not sure we can finish top 4 without that type of locksmith this season. Although, there seems to be a few teams battling for the top 4 that are struggling at the moment (Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal). Not sure what the match vs Man City will bring. Should be a joy to watch though.

finattic79 likes this.
  19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Looks like Ben Woodburn won't be going out on loan. This could be a good thing, especially if we don't add this window. I mean if he proves himself in a 10 role, we don't have to go nuts in the summer. And Grujic is going out on loan to Championship side Cardiff. That will be interesting. It's funny... Grujic burst onto the scene when he came in a couple of years ago. He was scoring like mad in the preseason. Then LFC came over here (to LA) and he played in the Rose Bowl vs Chelsea (I was at that game). He suffered a concussion, had to be sent to the hospital. He's been very quiet ever since. He's certainly got loads of potential.

20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Oh and we need to sign Emre Can... I've made up my mind. Losing him would be foolish. He's 10X better than Henderson. And Henderson is awful. Well maybe that's being a bit emotional. But he's overrated.

21. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Well I agree Hendo hasn't been as good this season as he was last year. I think a lot of it is due to him not being able to stay fit. As for Can I think he's a great player when he's on but his consistency sucks balls!! The Grujic loan is a good one, he's a youngling as well, only 21. Cardiff have to play him a minimum of 14 matches or face financial consequences. Klopp said today that'll they don't plan on buying anyone else this window unless something to good to pass up basically presents its self.

Also how bout that City match!!! Chamberlain had a hell of a game, and man glad Robertson has been playing so well. Little tight after the 3rd goal but what a win!! If you remember last year this time we where falling apart, injuries left and right. This year we are winning big matches, the rotations are working wonders in keeping people fresh. Also it looks like Karius will be the #1 for the remainder of the season it looks like. I think its time he gets an extended spell in goal, Migs has had over 200 games and we know what we have with him. I don't think he'll be much better, but he does deserve a long spell to see if he can grow and become a better keeper than Migs.

Paul 13 likes this.
  22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    How do you feel now? I have nothing to say...

Well, that's not true, I have loads to say. No locksmith... no goals. And that bit at the end... It was so frustrating in watching it on my DVR, that I was fast forwarding thru the end and I saw that Firmino's header hits the post and falls right to Lallana and I paused it right there thinking, there's no way Lallana doesn't put that in, so I rewind it about 30 seconds... unbelievable. It amazes me that Swansea can capitalize on their only chance and we can't score given all of our possession. Hard to say that Coutinho doesn't score on Salah's free kick that was saved. It was a good FK, just too close to the keeper. Salah looks to be pressing in the last handful of games. And Lallana looks way off where he needs to be. He's a step slow and can't beat anyone one on one. Ings on the other hand looked somewhat decent. Especially on the buildup to the last chance.

23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I reckon it's between us and Spurs for 4th place.

finattic79 likes this.
  24. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I should be speechless.. it's gone from bad to worse. The defense was abysmal today. The offense was static for most of the game. This has a feel.. the same feel as when we lost Suarez. Like the heart has been ripped from the team. No inspiration. No magic. Nobody to the rescue. It's inexcusable that they didn't have a plan for when Coutinho would be gone. Did they really think that playing as well as they would be playing could keep him around for the rest of the season? Lovren is better than Matip. Can looks like his head is already playing elsewhere. Moreno not good... TAA, terrible game from him. We could have Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez as our front three and it wouldn't matter given how poorly our back 4... back 6 (with Can and Gini) played today. Mignolet shouldn't be allowed to play anymore. I WANT TO SEE WARD!! #FREEWARD!!

25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    3-0 over Huddersfield. Amazing what a win does eh? By the same token, I should acknowledge that one or two losses is all it takes for me to freak out :lol: Going back to the win, clearly getting Hendo, Milner and Can working together made a big difference. As did the pace at which the ball was moved around while in possession. Quick, crisp passes around the back and between the mids. More noticeable than the prior two games. It's a bit messy at times when it gets to the front three. Mane's first touch is off at the moment, although he did setup the Firmino goal with a wonderful touch pass. I think the front three are pressing to do too much recently. They aren't playing within themselves. Their confidence is a bit shaken still. Salah is getting the ball but it's more with his back to the goal than where he had been getting it earlier in the season (facing the goal).

Big opportunity this weekend vs Tottenham to put some distance between them. Arsenal are now 8 points behind. With what 14 games left (?) that should be enough to see them out of the race to 4th.

Don't see any incomings before the end of the day. We've sent Sturridge out on loan. Markovic could be heading out too. My concern is that we aren't very deep if one of the front three get hurt. I guess Ox would step in to either Mane/Salah role. And Ings or Solanke for Firmino (or they could go with Ox, Mane and Salah). It isn't ideal. I would like a big man as I don't trust Solanke at all. Giroud would have been nice but there's no way he would have left London. I haven't been tracking Origi on loan but he could be recalled in a panic.

26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    2-2 vs Tottenham. Feels like a loss. 2nd half looked at lot like the last game vs Sevilla 2-2. Too many gaps in midfield. Too easy to get thru to dangerous locations.

And then there were the referee decisions at the end of the game. Brutal. Both build ups to the PK's were offsides. Both acts that called for a PK were dives. The 2nd one was brutal. Lamela dives afterwards and grabs the back of his upper leg. If anything, VVD kicks his calf (which I don't think he did). Brutal.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  27. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    I can not believe the refs blew those calls. Not only awarding penalties on what shouldn't have, they even missed the damn offisdes!!! I've been so pissed since the match.... Well not much we can do but continue on. We got a break with Chelsea losing, so that was nice.

Paul 13 likes this.
  28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    This sure seems like covering ones *** after the fact. And I guess the part about Lovren playing the ball deliberately is subjective. He obviously went to kick the ball... but he certainly didn't mean to kick it backwards into Kane's path. However, the more egregious offense in my mind is the second one that decided the points/tie. Moss waved off calls for a penalty... then went back aftewards to his AR. And the AR called the penalty. That's not normal. That's not right. The CR is the ruler at that point, not the AR.. why did he wave it off? None of that is addressed by the referee group.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...oversy-referees-statement-Harry-Kane-incident

Kane was awarded a penalty in the second half after Moss adjudged Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius to have fouled him.

Moss then took several minutes to confirm his decision as he spoke to his assistant Eddie Smart and fourth official Martin Atkinson.

Footage caught Moss asking Atkinson if he had "anything from TV" even though the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) was not in operation.

After the delay, Kane went on to have his penalty saved by Karius but later made amends with another spot-kick in stoppage time to earn a 2-2 draw.

But the PGMOL say Moss was "misguided" by asking Atkinson that question and stressed that no information from the TV was used to make a decision.

A PGMOL spokesman said: "Jon Moss was in a good position to see that a Liverpool player deliberately played the ball before it fell to Harry Kane in the penalty area. He then correctly judged that Kane was fouled by Lorius Karius.

"However, given the speed of the attack he was uncertain of the identity of the Liverpool player who kicked the ball. Eddie Smart having identified that Kane was in an offside position, correctly sought clarification on whether Dejan Lovren had deliberately played the ball.

"His question created some momentary confusion when Eddie asked if "Lovren" had touched the ball. Moss knew a Liverpool player had touched the ball but not that it was Lovren.

"He then asked a question to his fourth official Martin Atkinson and acknowledges that referencing 'TV ' was misguided. Atkinson did not reply to the question and so had no involvement in the decision.

"Having properly reflected on the questions asked, Jon knew that a Liverpool player, now identified as Lovren, had played the ball and that no offside offence had occurred. He then awarded the penalty. For the avoidance of doubt. Atkinson did not view a television monitor and did not relay any information to the on-field officials.

"In real time this was a difficult series of decisions which the match officials judged correctly in recognising that Kane was not offside, as Lovren had deliberately played the ball, and he was fouled for the award of the penalty kick.

"The interpretation of "deliberately" kicking a ball considers whether a player has intentionally tried to kick a ball - it does not consider whether the ball ends up where a player may have wanted to kick it."

finattic79 likes this.
  29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Good response to the Tot match by beating the Saints handily on the road. Southampton have been poor so perhaps that was a bit fortuitous to face them at the time we did. But anytime we play a team in the bottom quarter of the league, I'm expecting a struggle :lol: That whole bottom half is so close, really nuts this season.

Anyway, thought Karius was MOTM for me. Couple of key saves in the first half. And then when we went up 2-0 the Saints just really didn't play the same, very lackluster performance in that second half.

On to Porto. Huge match on Wed.

finattic79 likes this.
  30. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yep you're right about that being a great response from the team. Its nice to face a bottom table team and handle business like that, which in the lead up to the end of the season we are going to need since we have more bottom table teams left than top of the table. Think I remember reading our average remaining opponents is like 12th. I'm glad that Klopp has given Karius until the end the season to show what he has, Migs has had over 200 starts and we know what he have with him.

I'm still livid over the Spurs match lol, still can't talk about it with out getting upset. Then I watched the Arsenal-Spurs derby as well and every time Kane complained that he didn't foul someone infuriated me more hahaha. Was hoping for a tie in that one, glad to see United lose (TBH they looked like we have against bottom table clubs, they squandered quite a few chances), hoping Chelesa someone how let one in for a tie today.

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    5-0 over Porto is a message to the rest of Europe. Problem is the other top teams in the PL have handled their business as well this week in the UCL. Wouldn't be surprised to see two PL teams in the final this year. And the UCL should amend their rules in who should be let in. The PL should have 4 teams solidified (not 3 and a playoff) and then 2 more teams sent to the playoff. Then Europa should have the 7th and 8th place PL teams in (would give great exposure to those teams that don't otherwise get in).

5-0 yesterday... true team performance. Everyone was on point. VVD saving Lovren's ***... Lovren stepping up at times. Milner looked like he was 23. The long ball really worked to get space behind and on top of the Porto D. And when Porto tried to play out, they got hammered by the press. Really the most complete game of the season IMO.

32. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yep by far the best overall team performance, and man those crosses by Roberston where great (Feel bad for Moreno, since he was playing so well in a world cup year and then gets the injury). VVD on that one block where he meet the strike at the same time as Porto defender was awesome, then of course Karius grabs his head instead of the ball hahaha. Overall was fun to watch, continue to grow and get better defensively.

Paul 13 likes this.
  33. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Another solid win. Even the goal we gave up wasn't horrid, just Can being careless with the ball in a dangerous part of the field (even though he had a great match). Its really awesome to see the team come together like they have. We are the team no one wants to face in the champions league. Clyne played his first full game this past week with the U23s and impressed from what I've read. Oh also a really good read from TAW website that I like to go to about total football https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018...opp-compromise-on-the-road-to-total-football/ (great podcast as well).

Paul 13 likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    That was a big three points pulled out late @ Crystal Palace. The 2nd half we really played much better. And were able to get TAA forward more for his crosses. In light of losing Coutinho, I reckon that has been the biggest thing when we've needed a goal against teams sitting back... getting Robo and TAA forward for crosses. And the quality of crosses from those two have added a much needed dimension.

Obv Salah has been the story of the season for LFC but Robertson has been brilliant as well. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players. And the defense with him, VVD and Karius have done just enough to keep us ahead.

I don't know what this week holds with the UCL and Man City. With next year's UCL place now looking almost assured (would be nice if we could finish 3rd instead of 4th), I think the rest of what happens in the UCL this season will be a bonus. We weren't expected to get this far. However, as we're the only team to have beaten Man C in the PL this season, we just might be able to do some damage. Beating them again would be quite a story... knocking them out of the UCL would be somewhat shocking though. They do have their derby on Sat with a chance to clinch the PL title at home. So they'll be busy and a lot on their minds. Lets give them something else to think about.

finattic79 likes this.
  35. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Oh my word, did that really happen?!?! Pinch me I must still be dreaming lol. Hold City to no goals is a huge because we get one away go and they have to score 5 to beat us!!! Salah coming off early was worrying but the latest is that he should be good to go for the return leg. TAA was absolutely phenomenal, MOTM by shutting Sane out like he did the entire match (and to be honest I was a little worried after Rashford ran rampant on him against him at United). So many great performances on the pitch. I was sad to hear about the bus incident, and Klopp today said that because of it there may not be anymore welcomes like that on European nights :-/, damn bad apples!!!!

Derby coming up, hope those Everton ***** don't try to injure someone like they usually try to do in these derbys, especially when they've had a mediocre season once again. Good news is Ings is looking to get the start at Everton and imho well deserved, also would be a good time to get Clyne a start since he's back and fully fit, especially since we are razor thin on that back line.

Paul 13 likes this.
  36. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah I don't mind the nil nil result yesterday at all. Got thru it healthy (I believe) and we didn't lose to them. It also solidified in my mind that Solanke is not ready for first team action (I'm going to call him Slowanke from now on). We should have kept Origi around for games like that. I'm not sure that Slowanke will ever be ready for first team action. He just doesn't do it for me. I watched him at the England World Cup win (what was that U20 last summer? I forget), and talk about overrated because he could score.

I expected a bit more from Ings though. I thought he was really quiet offensively. Good work rate off the ball though. I suspect he'd be better off getting more of a run than what he's had this season. More consistent minutes from game to game. But I don't see that happening at LFC next season.

I thought everybody else was fine. Got thru it... on to the big one on Tuesday. It's either going to be a brilliant two game leg... or it's going to crush us. There's no in between there. You would think 3-0 would be enough to see thru. Do you rest Salah until and if it gets close in the second half? Obviously, if he's not 100%, they won't play him (Klopp already said that I believe). Man City's collapse yesterday against Man U is a brilliant result for us. They have zero confidence right now.

finattic79 likes this.
  37. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Gameday, prolly biggest match in last 10 years!!! Though I have many more hours to wait :-/ , my brother works until 5pm Alaska time but we always watch every match together. Enjoy the match @Paul13, win or lose I'm proud of our boys and the season we've had.

Paul 13 likes this.
  38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    What a brilliant result it was!? I'm actually stuck at work all day yesterday with the game recording on the old DVR and I'm telling myself "do not go on twitter!" which isn't hard for me right now (very busy at work). Got thru it and made it home without knowing what happened. Watched the game with my son and I don't know about you but I've been on cloud 9 since. Slept like a baby. Shower was the perfect temperature this morning. Breakfast tasted amazing (can't beat Weetabix! :lol:). I'm typing like a loon, not missing any spelling or key strokes. Hah!

As for the game, the boys were amazing in the second half. We were extremely fortunate not to give up that 2nd goal in the first half. I told my son after going down 0-1 (3-1) that the next goal would decide it. I'm glad we scored that next goal. The offsides call on Man City's second goal was fortunate (but correct). The bounce off the woodwork from Silva's shot that goes inbetween two City players standing on the six... WAS FORTUNATE. And it seemed like City just didn't have the effort left in them once they got to half time to continue to try to get that goal. And LFC came out in the second half a different team for it. Their confidence grew on the ball. Gini played a hell of a game. Everyone did. Lovren... my goodness did he lay it all out on the line. I don't know if he's the one to partner with VVD going forward, but he's looking to be the best on the current squad as his cohort. Milner needs a rest :lol: I have visions of what a Keita would do in that midfield role instead of Milner.

I wonder if we are still in the semis had Salah not been ready for the game?

And then Barca loses out on the semis... woofa. What a shame that is? :sidelol: I kind of just wanted to beat them on the field but alas. What can you do? I don't know if we can win the UCL... I mean everything happening after this is just gravy. But, I hope we can all enjoy the ride.

finattic79 likes this.
  39. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Sounds like we both had the same great nights sleep and morning starts to our day :knucks: !! I'm still in such disbelief that we won 6-1 aggregate, but the better team won this time out.

After the ref gifted City their first goal (how the hell was that not a foul of Sterling with the full extension of the arm and having leverage from below since he's such a runt lol) they settled into the game (with only a few scary spots that you've already highlighted). Lovern was the man, I think without question he is the guy that should partner with VVD. I even told my brother during the game imagine having Keita there in the midfield for this one too hahaha. TAA is the real deal to, I see that now, he's gonna have some off games because he's so young and learning but at 19 years old put on a clinic on his side of the field. I think we can honestly win or lose the CL, there is no team that we shouldn't be able to be that's left in the field, RM would be toughest and would want them in a final instead of the semis.

Good I so wanted to beat Barca in the final to rub it in over Countinho!! If we win it we should send him a his medal since he was part of the first half of the campaign :sidelol:. I was stunned when I heard the result at the end of the Liverpool match, since I also avoid those results as well.

Paul 13 likes this.
  40. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The 3-0 win against Bournemouth was a total team victory. Sure, the score remained 1-0 for entirely too long but that game was never in doubt. The team is firing on all cylinders. And I can't believe I'm saying this but with Lovren going out possibly due to injury, that is somewhat concerning :wink2:

I truly didn't expect them to be this good this soon after losing Coutinho. It's as if he's been holding back the development/integration of the front three. And the three midfielders are also the better for it. Can't understate the quality of the crossing from Robo and TAA and the impact they have had on the offense and the defense. TAA's ball to Mo for the second goal was a thing of beauty. Not to mention his finish. One of the best goals of the season for LFC. Have to hand it to the coaching staff as well. They are developing quite a team of players. How do we find a way to extend Klopp? Have to keep him. EDIT: nevermind, he's signed thru 2022 (after extending back in 2016). We should probably give him a raise anyway.

finattic79 likes this.