1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

REDS!!!!!

Totally Insane! TOTAL JOY!!!

finattic79 and Paul 13 like this.
  2. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't think I've ever been so nervous those last 10 minutes or so. Oh, my .... I'm wore out.

3. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Never commented on ManCity vs Leicester. I really thought Leicester had a chance. And, they played tough. Man. One goal and it would have been all in LFC's hands this Sunday! Still, a long shot hope for the double.

Even still, I don't think I've ever experienced a season like this. This Liverpool team have played so great under immense pressure. Just a small funk they fell into a few months back. Otherwise, they are as deserving as any team to win the PL.

Can't at all complain about a season where you have only one league loss! That's just amazing. If somehow Brighton can pull out a miracle ... They have played pretty tough of late. Lost 1-0 to MC in the FA Cup. And had hard fought games against the Wolves, Spurs, Newcastle, and Arsenal ... Oh, for them to pull off one more draw!

4. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This moment, with never walk alone, gave me goose bumps and some watery eyes ...

[​IMG]

5. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Watching the end as the fans sang never walk alone while the team lined up and sang along gave me goose bumps and some teary eyes ...

Just amazing!

[​IMG]

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    So, I of course worked all day, working my *** off... had recorded the game... stayed off social media, stayed off the internet... got home, went on my daily walk, made dinner for myself, my daughter said she knew what happened today, she usually watches games with me lately but she didn't this time, well not straight away... so reading between the lines I thought we'd lost.. she was messing with me of course.

I don't know how I'm supposed to sleep now? I'm so ****ing pumped up. That was amazing. You can't make this stuff up. Divock Origi? He's a good luck charm, simple as that. His four goals this season have been immense. And then Gini comes in and goes nuclear for back to back goals. The whole team was insane tonight. No Firmino... no Salah... Robbo goes off at half time. Alisson was beside himself with some crazy saves. The whole team just laid it all out on the field. Such revenge to get it against Barcelona. And against Suarez and Coutinho. Does Klopp have a statue yet? Henderson played his best game of the season. Fabinho was insane. That interception at the end to kill off time was god like. Shaq probably played the worst of everyone, I must say... clearly we can see why he hasn't been starting. Although his ball in for the 3rd goal was great.

The goals.. all of them. ahhhhh... It's the greatest game I've ever seen for Liverpool FC. I didn't see the 2005 game vs AC Milan, so I can't count that. That recent game against Borussia Dortmund (same ref) is like an appetizer compared to this four course meal.

Now how do you stay grounded for the season finale against Wolves on Sunday? And then what three weeks till the CL final in Madrid, June 1st? Hopefully enough time for Firmino and Salah to get back... well Mo should be back at least. Lets hope Robbo is good for Sunday, although we shouldn't need him. Not after what we saw tonight. Magical. One word, magical. I can believe it, but I'm still coming to grips with what I just saw.

Looking ahead to who we might face in the final. Ajax is insane. They have some real talent on that team, they will be a difficult matchup because they can counter and play quickly. Tottenham on the other hand, we know them, we should be able to handle them. Don't want to get too over confident for the final but we should win against either team. But then again, Barca should have won tonight, at least that's what their fans are thinking. Never Give UP! Gotta get that shirt!!!

finattic79 likes this.
  7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Forever...

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

[​IMG]

finattic79 and Da 'Fins like this.
  9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

finattic79 likes this.
  10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The exhaustion on Henderson's face. Says it all.

finattic79 likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    For about 90 seconds, one could dream. What a moment that was. Bewildered. Like nothing else ever.

The one loss costs the title. It is cruel. But plenty to be proud of. I dont think a team finishing second will ever have a season like that again. The rest of the top six will spend while LFC most likely holds fast. Next season will come down to that top six and how strong it is in terms of how close the standings will be between first and second. This season 25 points between 2nd & 3rd is massive. A testament to LFC.

On to Madrid.

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

13. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Such a tough season to process. As great a season as a team could have, incredible excitement, winning the last 9 league games in a row and yet still coming up one point short. Really mixed feelings.

But, can't help but be proud of this team and what they did. I thought this was some cool stuff (via a BBC piece):

The Reds have the highest points tally of any team to finish second in the English top flight. Their 97 beat the previous record of Leeds United in 1970-71 (91) - adjusted to three points for a win. The previous highest Premier League total which failed to secure the title came when Manchester United finished behind Manchester City on goal difference with 89 points in 2012.

Liverpool's 97 points would have won them every single Premier League title apart from last season and this season.

They are one of only 10 teams in the Premier League era to pick up 90 or more points. Unfortunately for them City this season are one of the others.

Liverpool have won 18 English titles, but only once have they ever picked up more points than they did this season - 98 in 1978-79, adjusted to three points for a win. And that was from 42 games, making this Liverpool's best-ever points per game return.

In fact, the Reds have the highest tally of a runner-up in any of Europe's top five leagues - eclipsing Real Madrid's 96 in 2009-10. The champions that season? Guardiola's Barcelona.

14. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Captures how tight the race has been all season:

[​IMG]

finattic79 likes this.
  15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Struck by something Klopp said yesterday after the game... that he wasn't prepared for the moment that Brighton scored and the crowd reacted. I thought it was incredible that the moment happened while one of BHA's players went down with an injury and everything just stopped. The coverage on NBC at that point was silly because they didn't mention a player was receiving treatment until the ball was put back into play. So it seemed like the game was stopped by the ref so that the fans and teams could collect themselves.

In soccer, the only other comparison I can make with this moment is during the World Cup, the 3rd group stage games are played at the same time. To avoid conspiracies (and thanks to that goalless draw, who was it... Mexico vs? Was it England? :lol:), the games are synced up. So you get a real time reaction to what is happening in the other group stage game, where one goal can change the fate of all four teams to advance to the elimination stage of the World Cup. And I think that's where having WC experienced players who have been in that moment and can talk about what it's like would help guide the team thru it if it ever happens at the club level... which is extremely rare, as we know. And in the WC it's a bit different because the whole stadium is generally not filled with one team's fans (unless it's one of the host nations).

16. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The killer stretch for Liverpool was over 6 PL games between January 30 and March 3. They won two and had 4 draws. A win in any one of those games and they'd be title holders. Or a win vs. Man City at home (a 0-0 tie) early on would have been good. The offense just was not cranking on all cylinders at the start of the season. But, if they could have scratched out a goal there, different story. I really had hoped someone would have stepped up their game to tie Man City just once over the past two months. They won 14 in a row and 18 of their last 19. That's crazy.

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, that's a good point about that stretch of games. Four draws... home vs Leicester, away to West Ham, away to Man U, away to Everton. They managed just 2 goals in that four game stretch. I think the pressure was getting to them a little because they played much better (and didn't lose) once Man City took over first. To go on that winning streak while in the middle of this CL run is really something to behold. So glad there's another game left.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    For those of us in the US :shifty:.... preseason tour...

7.20 (or is it 7.19) Liverpool play Borussia Dortmund in Indiana (Notre Dame stadium)
    7.21 in Fenway Park, vs Sevilla (next day? seems weird, maybe it is the 19th)
    7.24 vs Sporting Lisbon in New York's Yankee Stadium

Darn... too bad they aren't playing out in California.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  19. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Man life has been so busy, what an season, what a comeback. I can't believe I witnessed the Barca match, I'm still in shock over it and can't stop watching highlights. I watched the match with my brother who head to head into work at halftime. He got lucky somehow and work told him to come in an hour later and he got to witness the match with me as well, was delirium after the TAA to Orgi goal......

I'm proud of the boys, they had an unreal year and we have a chance at redemption and to get #6. I'm luckily going to be in Seattle during the final, so going to go watch the match live with the a local supporters club.

Paul 13 and Da 'Fins like this.
  20. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Cool about your brother and you. And, watching in Seattle with locals there. Super cool. You know they'll be into it!

Paul 13 and finattic79 like this.
  21. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yea the week before he wasn't so lucky, I facetimed with him for the second half so he could watch on mute lol. Just saw today that Bobby showed up early to work on his fitness at Marbella. The rest of the boys show up today for a week long training camp.

Paul 13 and Da 'Fins like this.
  22. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Not sure if yall follow LFC's youtube page but they have this series called Inside Anfield which is a behind the scenes look at before, during and after matches at Anfield. They are really good, I've watched all the ones from this year, and as I said earlier I can't stop watching highlights and replays of the Barca match. This one is the best, I've watched it so many times and I still tear up at the end. Enjoy it fellas if you haven't seen it.

Da 'Fins and Paul 13 like this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I've got the Barca match on my DVR. Don't think I'll ever take it off. Watched the second half last night... it still gets me jumping around the room :lol:

Da 'Fins and finattic79 like this.
  24. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Likewise, I've got a few saved as well that I like to go back to. 7 more days!!!!!

25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Pumped up... confident... but not too much. Both wins this season were 2-1 and we scored first. I expect a similar outcome. It will be interesting to see how the three week layoff has affected their form. We should know in the first 15 minutes. The front three will be vital. Of course expecting Firmino to start. What form will Mane be in? He's had such a great season and he was for my money the most "in form" player at the end of the season. And what about Salah's form? I mean, he's been a little off for most of the season but it hasn't mattered. Tottenham know us and we know them. I would be shocked if more than 3 goals are scored in total. Poch did change their system for the second game, I believe it was from a 4-4-2 to a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. I think they were better defensively in that second game, remember it took an own goal to win it at the end and get those vital 3 points at Anfield.

Penalties maybe? eeek!

finattic79 likes this.
  26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The Champiooooooons!!! Get in LFC!! Happy happy happy!!! This team deserved it. Wonderful season. It was a sluggish game. Almost scored too early. Sat back after that. Even tho we had the better chances till late in the game. Divock. Huge goal to seal it. My heart couldnt take too much more those last 20 minutes!!! Three week layoff really affected both teams. Too long really. Add in the heat. And u get that product. No matter. Dont care.

27. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    We've conquered all of Europe. From Paris down to Madrid. We've won the ****ing lot!!!! Allez, Allez, Allez!!

I can't believe it!! Champions of Europe!!! YNWA!!!!

Da 'Fins and Paul 13 like this.
  28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

30. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

31. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Here's Jordan Henderson embracing with his father. Really affects me since I lost mine back in January. :sad:

32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

35. Paul 13